The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2009, 03:59 AM   #1
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
10mm brass reloading question

Still being a relatively new reloader, I have recently begun reloading for 10mm.

Without me getting too specific (still working up the load), generally how many times can I expect to reload a case using 180 grain bullets with middle of the road loadings?

I do know some of the signs to look for as a case begins to get "old" but as a ballpark when should I start thinking about retiring them?

Also picked up someone else's once fired brass, and some have a slight bulge, perhaps not enough chamber support?, what about this condition? A concern or not? Resize or pitch?

As the 10mm is a fairly high pressure round, I don't want any surprises if I can safely avoid them.

Thanks!

Now, go figure...
Old April 3, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
troy_mclure

the bulge is probably from being fired from a glock.
when i was reloading my 40s&w i had some cases that i had loaded 15 times or so, these were 180gr hot loads for my cx4 storm.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 3, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I find that two things end the life of a semi auto case. The extractor damaging the rim and split cases caused from the belling of the case.
Revolvers, I have 44 special cases that have been loaded more than 10 times and they still look new.
9mm usually some where about 5 or 6 times, damage from the extractor is the reason they end up in the garbage.
I had a friend recently that hadn’t been loading for long said he was only getting 2 or 3 reloads with 40 S&W. When I looked at his set up he had the expander die set so deep that you could have started a 45 bullet in the case.
I expand my cases just enough that bullets will start without shaving and very little more.
So to answer your question it depends a lot of what gun who is reloading and what manufacture. I like Federal brass, Star (for 44 special) sucks.
1911's I find are easy on cases when loaded to mid loads. My Glock is VERY hard on new cases (no I don’t reload for the Glock but I do reload those cases for other 9mm) but the Beretta 8000 and the Storm Carbine are easy and I can get many reloads but the Carbine makes the cases VERY dirty and they end up spending a lot more time in the tumbler.
I usually size my cases then expand them, then look at each and every one for any signs of wear. Some cases (9mm from the Glock) after sizing look so distorted that I throw them away without reloading them once.
Since I have never reloaded 10mm I can’t be much help but with mid pressure loads I would think you should get at least 5 or more as a minimum.
Old April 3, 2009, 02:33 PM   #4
madmo44mag

Straight wall brass will last a long time as long as the mouth is not over belled.
I have some brass that's 20+ years old and loads and shoots like new.
Auto brass such as 9mm, 40 S&W, ect.. can get damaged from the ejector but that can be fixed as well ( another thread there)
Shoot it till the case splits and toss it. I have never had any problems when the case split other than a nasty chamber.
When the case splits in an auto loader in most cases there is not enough pressure to work the action and bring the slide back.
Well, hope this helps.
Load and shoot safe
Old April 25, 2009, 08:35 PM   #5
harry carey

I run 9mm and 40 thru a casemaster junior just in the event i pick up brass from another persons gun, (glock), removes the bulge. all foreign military brass i throw away, 9mm. casemaster is used first time i load brass , a friend has some canadien 9mm brass ( dominion) he has been loading for forty years. you cant read the headstamp.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:32 PM   #6
David Wile

Hey Azak,

I bought a Star Megastar 10MM about 15 years ago, and I purchased a case (500 rounds) of Winchester jacketed ammo at the same time. I opened four boxes (200) of the new ammo to use when I first started shooting the gun. To this day, I am still shooting the first four boxes (with only a half dozen lost cases) to this day, and I still have six boxes of the original ammo unopened.

Until I moved from my Dillsburg home in 2005, I had my own indoor shooting range in my basement, and I did a lot of shooting and loading with those original 200 rounds. I would guess my cases have been reloaded at least 20 times - perhaps 25 times, and I have not had one case mouth split so far.

Be advised however, my reloads are mid range rather than hot loads, and like Madmo related, I do not bell my case mouths very much even though I use mostly cast bullets.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile