The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Closed Thread

Old November 10, 2008, 09:45 AM   #26
OuTcAsT

Quote:
And from a first-time poster, too. I can't tell you how often I see this, or how often I wonder at why newbies tend to do this..

If I may opine as to why this happens, go back and look at the posts of some of our more "Experienced" posters flaming a new poster for not using the search function, and chastizing them for asking repeat questions. Then we flame them for using search and trying to follow up with questions.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old November 10, 2008, 11:52 AM   #27
Mal H
Staff

[Continuing the off-topic trend]

OuTcAsT - I know what you're saying, but I disagree to an extent. When newbies (or downright lazy folks) are scolded for not using the search function, they are being told, in essence, that their question has been answered many times in the past. They are not being told that it is necessary to post in the old thread. IOW, resurrecting an old thread and adding 2 cents is not the solution for not searching and asking an old question.

In the case here, the added info could just as easily have been a new thread in the rifle forum instead of added to an ancient thread in this forum. Besides it appears to have been instigated by politics anyway.
Old December 3, 2008, 02:21 AM   #28
Jacks

Got a stock Ranch Rifle many years ago for $295.00....went, before Y2K up in the hills for lots of practice.

I hate the iron sights...in fact lost my front peep sight as it slide into the grass. Shucks a Texas born guy like me can't let a little problem stop me from blowing another hundred rounds of 55 grain ammo.

So I just 'imagined' the front site...and the blade is too big and obscures long distance targets...but surprisingly enough...I found I could continue to make 100 yard and further targets with no peep site at all. Just tune into what your doing and do it as if your life depended upon it...and I believe I could fire any rifle, after a dozen or so tries, with no sites at all.

I later added a cheap scope..a 3x9 Bushnell scoped into 100 yards and have no regrets.

The rolling block as in the venerable M-One of WW II fame...is totally reliable...nothing to break, no little springs to bob out and be unfindable...the mags are either workable or not...I have no name mags that do just fine...others need fixing or tossing...not as reliable as the AR mags, on the whole.

But considering the AR downsides and the price...I feel my little Ranch Rifle in its wood stock...as good as I am going to get or likely to get from the 5.56mm, for the bucks. And it fires every ammo I have tried in it...and rejects none.

Get a new set of sites for the rifle, get them on zero and you shouldn't have a problem...as I say...the stock sights...just suck.

Look around, stop complaining and get a good set of workable mags and your in business. The AR has a billion dollars behind it...Stoner's vision works because of the research and money to bring it up to par. Ruger's rifle is a great little carbine...without all that research and money behind it.

But a little creativity and work on your part and you could have a great carbine for half the price of an AR and without the downsides of an AR in it's finickiness...
Old December 3, 2008, 02:38 AM   #29
armsmaster270

Not to mention the mini is CA legal the stock AR isn't. I've had the stainless model for years and love it
CA Dept of Corrections has them in their towers.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:27 AM   #30
jughead2

mini-14

since someone brought it up. i personally have not tried the "search" on this board but after a few years with this puter i have yet to have a "search" bring up anything but article not found. this on ANY board i have tried it on.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:39 AM   #31
dalegribble

the A team used them. i have 1. therfore i must be the A team. seriously i have 1 and like it. it works all the time and i like the "m-14" look. it is not as accurate as my colt ar-15 which is sub moa at 100 yds but it is respectable and certainly has no problem hitting man sized targets at 200 yds. someone mentioned magazine replacement. it is no harder to replace than an ak mag but i do like the ease of slapping a new mag into the ar. i have 1 and i'd buy another at the right price.
Old December 3, 2008, 12:22 PM   #32
ZX10Aviator

what ever happened to the guys reviews and comparasin?
Old December 4, 2008, 12:15 PM   #33
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Keep in mind this thread was started seven years ago. A side by side comparison was made in S.W.A.T. Magazine in the March 2002 issue.
Denny
Old December 4, 2008, 09:25 PM   #34
Jeremy1421

so i am looking to get a reliable rifle in february, i was thinking of a bushmaster, but i dont know if i will have the money. Are the mini 14's usually a resonably cheap price? also, which model should i look for? 223? sorry if thats a newb question, but i am relitivly new to buying myself. Shot alot when i was younger, but just now getting back into it.
Old December 5, 2008, 03:52 PM   #35
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Jeremy,

Do some research in the "Art of The Rifle" forum.
Denny
Old December 5, 2008, 09:29 PM   #36
Jeremy1421

had question answered

Last edited by Jeremy1421; December 5, 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: moved reply to art of rifle
Old January 18, 2009, 01:30 AM   #37
Ignition Override

Denny Hansen:
When LEOs are in need of a self-defense rifle, do they need top accuracy beyond about 200 feet?
If not, then wouldn't the Mini 14's reliability (often only with Ruger-built mags) be the top priority?

Did departments ever consider the Mini 30?
Old January 22, 2009, 10:08 PM   #38
curt.45

my mini 30 is sweet.

my mini 14 shoots 3 feet low

I must have gotten one of the defective ones.
Closed Thread