The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Malamute

I prefer the older factory target grips on Smith & Wesson K frame guns. Newer versions often are poorly fitted, and very blocky and square feeling. The factory grips on Colt Single Action Army's are the best ever for me, the eagle type.

The rubber grips all feel too narrow at the back for me. I like a slightly rounded profile in the rear, like the old Smith K frame targets, rather than the narrow and squarish feel of the Pachmayers and Hogues. The J round butt and K round butt Pachmayers feel ok, but I'm still not a fan of the rubber. Many rubber things Including gun grips) seem to smell like skunk to me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 12, 2012, 10:58 AM   #27
SpryNotI

I tend to put Hogue rubber wrap around with finger grooves on all my semi-autos.

I haven't experimented much with changing out the grips on my revolvers yet. I don't like the grips with a lot of checkering as they are painful after a number rounds. I know the sharpness can be knocked off with sandpaper but I would rather find a revolver grip that looks good and feels right without a lot of tinkering.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #28
marv

Rubber is the best by far, for feel. But most anything else looks better, especially good wood.