The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 30, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1
new_scopeshooter

uspsa match in cirleville ohio

Sat sept 3 is a uspsa match in cicleville ohio! This will be my first match!!!
Old September 2, 2011, 08:45 AM   #2
JDinOH

I'm looking to attend this one too - my first time also. Good to know I won't be the only one trying to get through the learning curve.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:49 AM   #3
new_scopeshooter

Nice!
Old September 2, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
JDinOH

We can laugh with each other.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:03 PM   #5
new_scopeshooter

Sounds good!
Old September 3, 2011, 08:15 PM   #6
JDinOH

And a good time was had by all! Paying for it tonight though. Legs are killing me. I'm not in the best of shape and the horendous heat didn't help.

Anyway, Pickaway puts on a good match. Met a LOT of great shooters who were quick to help a new guy out. Met New ScopeShooter right off and his brother. That was cool to put a face to a name on here.

Learned alot. Learned I can't wait for the next one and may try to find another club close by in the next week or two. Learned gear alone is NOT all you need. WATER would have went a long way! The range had water for us just to be fair - but I should have brought a few bottles or some sports drinks in a small cooler. A towel would have been nice in the bag too. Maybe some hand wipes. I learned that although I bleed scarlet and gray, I could survive missing all but the last 10 minutes of their opener today. And this experience far outwayed what I would have gotten out of the ballgame.

I don't know why I waited so long to get started.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:12 PM   #7
9mm1033

Remember not to fall into the "new shooter" competition trap. Many of those experienced USPSA shooters are fast and accurate. They've dropped lots of cash in equipment, practice time and can be non-approachable at times. They (not all) take the competition very serious and some tend to stay within a specific group of other talented speed shooters. After a few visits, you'll know who to ask questions and those to stay away from. Nonetheless, learn from them all by observing techniques and procedures. Don't try to copy their speed. Shoot at YOUR pace and build up self shooting confidence. I competed there for a few years, but ammo and gas prices have put a halt to my shooting days. You might consider the IDPA courses offered as well. I found most all of those guys to be more approachable. They are however two different shooting sports with different shooting mindsets. Good luck.
Old September 4, 2011, 07:39 AM   #8
new_scopeshooter

Had a great time yesterday at the match!!! Learnd what I need to work on(a lot) met lots of real nice people! Range officers were great guys! Helped with all my questions!!
JDinOh. It was great meeting you! I have a face to go with ur name! How awsome Is that!
One of the range officers said that one of my runs was near perfect!
Looking forward to the next one I can make it to..