The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
dr1445

nu finish wax

My roa, while ss, has corrosion, some spots in the barrel, in the frame where the trigger and hammer go, and on most of the moving parts. The frame area above where the caps go off also has some pitting and it likes to collect fouling along with where the hammer strikes the cap. I had olive oil around the house but that formed a solid mud in those areas. I cleaned up both the frame , hammer and other parts with some 320 grit emery, but still get the same collection points.
I tried some nu finish car wax in those areas and find less fouling and it wipes away with a wet rag. It worked so well I stripped the gun down and did everything except inside the barrel. I notice much less fouling and clean up is a wipe away. It has been in the teens and low 20's around here so I have not fired more then 15 rounds in one session, therefor I can not say how quickly the wax will erode. I had been pulling the gun down every session and putting it in the sonic cleaner because the pitting inside the frame collected residue like a magnet, now it stays clean. Presently I am shooting triple 7. just curious if anyone has tried this.
Old December 17, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
mehavey

Why are you not just spraying everything down with WD-40 (to displace any residual cleaning water)/shaking it off; then spraying down again with BreakFree and walking away?

(FWIW: I just throw mine in the dishwasher, and do the above before the drying cycle starts (which might start rust because it's totally clean).
Old December 17, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
dr1445

The wax differs in it is a solid film not an oil that can mix with the fouling and form a hard sediment. It also fills in the pits where the fouling collects. I take the cylinder off and put it in the sonic cleaner, then run some tap water down the barrel, rinse off the cylinder, wipe the frame down with a wet rag then put the whole mess in the oven @170 f. after it cools I clean the barrel with bore cleaner and apply a fresh coat nu finish wax. I have just started using this procedure and it might change with time.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Nu Finish is a wax... It's a polish that contains no wax.

I've tried using it on things that I keep in my basement (reloading dies, presses, etc.), and it didn't do a very good job at all.

Johnson's paste wax, however, does a FANTASTIC job because it is a wax.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
dr1445

i started using it on my bicycle gears plus teflon drylube on the chain, it sure helps keep the drive train clean and the dirt washes off with water. as i stated, when i treated the pitted areas the fouling just whips off with water. i tried various oils in those pitted areas and always had to scrape the fouling off with a razor blade. yes, it is a polish but it also is a wax or wax like. i expect johson's wax would work just as well.