The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 6, 2013, 10:31 AM   #1
jspappap

More pics of my Hawken Stock progress

3 more pics of my stock. If I was about 60 years younger and wasn't so shaky and still had better vision I could do a better job. But what the heck its my rifle and I'm learning a lot and having fun doing it

HPIM1294.JPG

HPIM1295.JPG

HPIM1297.JPG

Last edited by jspappap; December 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old December 6, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
DoubleDeuce 1

Looks like you're off to a good start. The main thing is to have some fun and enjoy yourself.
Old December 6, 2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Pahoo

Good work and keep posting !!!

Quote:
I could do a better job.
I think you are doing just fine and I especially like what you did, at the tang area. Keep in mind that there were many Frontiersmen and Native Americans that loved to embellish their firearms. You are just continuing the tradition. I recently saw an original Hawken and there were three notches on the belly and a silver fish, inlay. Had to wonder about both. As far as finish, on this one, leave the Tru-Oil, on the shelf. I can tell by your wood, that TC did not make this kit and wondering who did. Also, what did you ever do, about the double-set? .....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 7, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
jspappap

Pahoo, It is stamped Traditions. I haven't had the courage to make all the changes needed for the double set trigger. I talked to the technicians at Traditions and they said it could be done and they would work me up a kit to do it. I may do it in the near future before I put any finish on the stock. It would certainly add to the character of the rifle.
Old December 16, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
powder-n-lead

Hello,
looking for some help on finding a relacement barrel for a cabelas .50 cal hawken style that now has the faster 1:48 rifeling, and want to find a barrel with 1:60 or so to make a good round ball shooter and not an ok conical, or ok round ball shooter. and yes I know these are great as is for some but I know what round balls are capable of , and IMHO this is not it for me.. (this barrel is 15/16ths across the flats, 29 inches long and has a hooked breech) investarms..

thanks for any help..

Last edited by powder-n-lead; December 16, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old December 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Curtis Simmons

You are doing a great job. Just noticed how close we are to each other, I'm in Fredericksburg! I have my Grandfather's T/C Renegade in .54 caliber and it has the double set trigger and I love it. If you haven't shot a set trigger maybe we could get together and you could shot mine. You may have inspired me to get some kind of inlay on the stock in remembrance of him. Something simple but I have never done it. Did you research how to inlay or is this a learn as you go project?
Old December 17, 2013, 09:36 AM   #7
jspappap

Inlay

Curt, I read a little but am learning as I go. I have a few good books on carving and making Long Rifles that I have read and re-read. These guys are really good so I have to adapt my puny talents as best as I can. Just remember ( unless you are working on a priceless heirloom ) Its your rifle so as long as you are happy it's all good. I'll get back to you after the holidays and perhaps we can go shoot the smoke poles. I really need to try the double set so I can make changes to mine before I apply the finish.
Old December 17, 2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Pahoo

Good work !!!

jspappap
You already have the proper trigger guard that accommodates the double-set. It's almost a no-brainer that you should have one and besides looking good, you will appreciate the additional performance. Yours is a CVA and have recently seen one on Gun Broker. I have a spare double-set that I use as a raining aid during our classes. To be honest with you, I have not determined whose it is. You certainly show that you are more than capable to fit one. I have converted a few and they are really not that hard. Keep up your good work. ...

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 17, 2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Pahoo

Double Set

Hopefully, this is the link to the CVA double set, previously mentioned. I do notice that it has been repaired as the front trigger spring, does not look to be original and may present some fitting problems. I could still work with this and the price is fair. Again, might want to check with Dixie or equal....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=380200589

Be Safe !!!
Old December 17, 2013, 02:54 PM   #10
jspappap

Double set Trigger

Pahoo,
Thanks for the encouragement and the info. I guess I'm going to give it a try. I'll post my results