The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 2, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1

I love it when a plan comes together.

And it usually doesn't for me.

That said, I got myself ready for the Michigan muzzleloading season on Sunday. I have a TC Encore that I had been resisting the jump to BH 209 basically because I'm cheap. Well, after comparing the price of BH 209 to 777 mag pellets my math wasn't so good. That allowed me to rationalize stepping up to Barnes 290gr TEZ's. I had it close to sighted in about two weeks ago but shooting in less than stellar wind conditions. So just fine tuning the Encore.

I also have an older TC Black Diamond that is great condition and is getting handed down to the kid. This was the one that "the plan came together". I had leftover a vacuumed sealed box of 777 mag pellets, sabots, and 265 gr Hornady FTX bullets. They shot better out of the Black Diamond then when I tried that combo in the Encore last year........amazing.

Here's the final target at 100 yards. The red marked shots are the Encore and the other 4 are the Diamond. There was a scope adjustment after the shot that's high right and the other 3 are money. This is probably a pretty boring post but, I usually don't get this lucky and just had to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img076.jpg (112.6 KB, 71 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 2, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
BWM

That is one good target. I like Pyrodex P for my rifles 80Gr does me very good.
Old December 2, 2013, 02:25 PM   #3
shortwave

Good for you.

With shooting like that , me thinks you're ready to go.

Best of luck to ya.
Old December 2, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
cdmckane

Looks like meat in the freezer to me.
Old December 2, 2013, 05:55 PM   #5

That's what I figured........golf ball accurate at 50 yards and baseball size at 150. Who is ready besides me? I love this time of year.

When does your muzzle stuffing season start and end? Where in this great country of ours are you hunting? What are your expectations?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 2, 2013, 05:58 PM   #6
cdmckane

My main gun is a Savage 220, but I've had the smoke poles out a fair bit this regular season. Loving the fact that most hunters are done for the year and I've got 2 more weeks and more tags than I can possibly fill.
Old December 2, 2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Yeah some guys hunt the first weekend and are done. No problem with me.

Old December 8, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8

Well here's the results as posted to "Live from the stand"

Here you go:

Dead from the stand......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well to say the Barnes 290 TEZ's got put to the test would be an understatement. Three shots fired........three deer down. BTW, I'm tagged out. First, was an average doe in the morning at 95 yards. Hit her top of the shoulder........DRT. Second deer was a nice 6 pt and he stepped out of the woods at 3:30 in the afternoon. He was hard quartering to me and I took him top of the shoulder but tucked it in front (chest side). 45 yard shot and he didn't go 10 yards. Last, I had a group of a dozen or so does make their way down to me feeding along the the edge of the woods with about a half hour to go. I had plenty of time to size things and found the one I wanted. She was lingering in the back and gave me a 120 yard shot. I actually had to wizz my shot past closer ones to take her. Broadside, top of the shoulder........DRT.

I will post some pics later of the spot and the buck. Don't have any of the does.

Last edited by .284; December 8, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old December 9, 2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

3 for 3 not bad. Your going to be a busy guy for awhile getting them out of the woods over there. As read I see its a Two day B/P season for you. To bad you didn't hold off on one of those seconded day-er's. Maybe you could have gotten a crack one more. Dat e~lusive Michigan turdy pointer._

Couldn't B/P hunt here this year. DNR Officals limited everyone to only the taking of one deer this year in my Zone. I took mine earlier w/ a 270. Sadly my Hawken gathers dust for another year. Any way. Congrats on your Making Meat this year.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10

SS Mc Gee

Actually, it's a 17 day season here in the south zone but, I'm done. I gave the first doe to a buddy who's in a bad spot and the other doe went to the land owner. I kept the buck but it's been a very good season. I guided my daughter to her first deer ever.......7 pt with my crossbow. I got a small rack big big bodied 8 pt a week later, another doe before regular gun (gave half to my brother and half for sausage), and the 3 last Saturday. I'm pack'in it up and getting ready for ice fishing.

Old December 9, 2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Two and a half deer. Got any room left in the freezer for some fish yet? Things must be getting stacked pretty tight in there these days.
Ice is not quite thick enough over here yet for a house. But its getting there quick. Wife and I are thinking about doing a 3 day Lake of the Woods walleye trip here pretty soon before Xmas. (canada side) She's the fish eater. Me I'm just brought along to bait her hook is all._
Old December 9, 2013, 09:51 PM   #12

Three and a half Sure Shot three and a half. 6 pt, 7 pt, 8pt, and half a doe. Yes still plenty of freezer space.......I have two. Will probably ice fish this Sunday.