The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2020, 11:29 AM   #1
rc

What's Your Favorite Pump Gun!

All repeating pump action shotguns are really amazing machines, but some are just better designs! I've used Ithacas and BPSs and Mossberg 500s and Winchesters. But it seems that of these, a solid argument can be made for the Model 500 series as the best combination of design features that with a real mettle safety and trigger housing would be about perfect. The low cost, that's just a bonus.

But I have to admit, when one wants a butter smooth action above all else, the award for best pump goes to the Ithaca pump!

While taking some of the best design features from several guns, the BPS just doesn't have the smooth handling characteristics of the Ithaca even though much of the design is the same.

And the Remington 870, the most "popular" pump shotgun in America seems to be more temperamental than the others....

So what's your favorite shotgun? rc
Old March 30, 2020, 01:29 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

My favorite pump gun

Winchester Model of 1912.

Field grade, 30" full choke 12 gauge

Made in the 1920s

it was my 16th birthday present, bought at auction for $125, it amazed me that my Dad was able to spend that much, we didn't have much money back then and it was close to half a month's wages for him. I know he hoped to get it for less, but there was one guy bidding against him which drove it up. Dad gave me the money, I want and paid for it, and as I was carrying it back to our seats, the other guy asked me "what is it?"

I read the words on the barrel, "Winchester Model of 1912".
He said "I'll give you $200!"

I said, "no, sir..."

There's other slicker working pumps today, but that one and I have a special connection, especially now that my Dad is many long years in the home of the wind. That gun is going nowhere, except to my grandson, eventually.
Old March 30, 2020, 01:47 PM   #3
Doyle

The Winchester 12 was probably the most perfectly balanced pump ever made.
Old March 30, 2020, 01:51 PM   #4
MarkCO

FNH P12.

Chromed bore, rotating bolt, smooth.
Old March 30, 2020, 02:07 PM   #5
Virginian

Remington Wingmaster by a W I D E margin.
Old March 30, 2020, 02:27 PM   #6
jonnyc

Only ever had 2..........Maverick 88s. I would take a 500, but no need!
Old March 30, 2020, 04:23 PM   #7
jmr40

In order of preference

BPS
Benelli Nova
Winchester 1300

I think the Browning BPS is the best gun of the bunch, but it is a little heavier than I care for and I just shoot the 870 better. And I think that is a big part of why it is so popular. It just balances and points well for most people.

The Mossberg 500 has some design features that rule it out for me, but the Mossberg 590 addresses most of those. For a personal defense gun I'd rate the 590 a tie with the 870.

Never heard of an 870 being temperamental. None of the ones I've seen were.

Winston Churchill
Old March 30, 2020, 04:51 PM   #8
rc

There are some reports of rusting with the Remingtons and poorly finished chambers that cause shells to get stuck and fail to extract.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:00 PM   #9
eastbank

i have a older light weight remington 870 in 20ga with a modfied 28" vent rib barrel and it gets hunted the most for small game over all my other shotgun(26)
Old March 30, 2020, 05:03 PM   #10
dgludwig

My favorite pump gun of all time is the Remington Model 31-the pump-actions on these shotguns are slicker than frog snot on a mirror. In terms of contemporary pump shotguns, my vote goes to the Browning BPS.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Hawg

A Winchester model 12 or secondly a Winchester model 97.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Wishoot

I've only owned two in my life and now only have one.

BPS- great action, great trigger. But I could never get comfortable with the stock. Sold it.

Ancient Wingmaster- LOVE this shotgun. The action and trigger are like melted butter.
Old March 30, 2020, 06:01 PM   #13
KnightofCydonia

Ithaca 37 for me.
Old March 30, 2020, 06:03 PM   #14
gwpercle

Remington model 17
20 gauge pump . My grandfather bought it in 1929 . He had a good job at the Standard Oil Refinery in Baton Rouge , Louisiana and could afford the trim new Remington Pump to hunt squirrels, rabbits quail and woodcock with . As far as I know it was the only shotgun he ever owned . Passed down to my Dad who passed it on to me .
It has always been my favorite to hunt small game and birds .
Light and trim ...just a joy to carry and shoot .
Gary
Old March 30, 2020, 07:49 PM   #15
kymasabe

I shot trap for years and years with an old Remington wingmaster. The safety and slide release always seemed in the wrong place and that damn loading gate would snag gloves in winter months, but the gun always felt right when shouldered and pump action was well worn and really smooth. That being said, I now own a mossberg 500, all the controls are in the right place, I'm still trying to get used to it after 15 years and I can't hit a damn thing with it.
So, logically, I say the mossberg 500, but my heart says the old Rem Wingmaster wins.
My brother on the other hand has had the same Ithaca 37 for at least 30 years, probably closer to 40 years, and says all other pump guns are pure rubbish so...who knows.
Old March 30, 2020, 08:07 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

My experience is wide and varied, but generally with very little time on any given model that I didn't personally own. So, I have to fall back on what I grew up with and what I own:

Winchester Model 25.
The M12 is a runner up.

The Model 25 is everything good about the M12, minus the extra weight, bulk, and complication of the unnecessary take-down feature.

My M25 is a 12 ga, of 1952 production, with a serial number composed of only 5s and 0s.
Lots of stories. Lots of history. It has been bent. It has been broken. It is completely worn out. It even blew up once...
My grandfather bought it for $35 in about 1968, I estimate, in quite poor condition. From there, its life has been a roller coaster.
Old March 30, 2020, 08:31 PM   #17
joed

16 posts and not one picture? What's wrong with you guys?

First shotgun I ever fired was a Winchester 25 in 1970 when I came home from the service. Since then I've owned 2 pump shotguns, 2 were Mossberg 500's and a S&W Eastfield model. I'm on the second 500 now.

Wish I could say I've fired them all but I can't. But here's a picture of my 500 Mariner.

Old March 31, 2020, 01:25 AM   #18
cpt-t

IMHO the Old 97 Winchester is about as good as it gets. It fit`s me better than any shotgun I ever put to my shoulder. I even carried a 97 WIN in Viet Nam in 1968 & 1969, never had a single problem with it. I have two of them now.
ken
Old March 31, 2020, 04:58 AM   #19
Blindstitch

I've only had 3 pumps and they were all Mossberg 500's. Two 20 gauges and a 12.
Old March 31, 2020, 09:51 AM   #20
natman

I'm a fan of the Ithaca 37, with the Winchester Model 12 a very close second.

For years I wanted a 20 ga 37 Featherweight with the ribbed "corn cob" forend. When I worked in a gun shop one day, somebody walked in with one and wanted to put it on consignment. It was covered in surface rust and was so dirty the manager wouldn't take it in. I bought it for a song, took it home and started cleaning it. After a lot of 0000 steel wool and light oil, all the rust disappeared and it looks terrific today. Real steel and walnut, smooth action and a joy to carry.
Old March 31, 2020, 10:50 AM   #21
RaySendero

My favorite:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M870_Custom_102315_1.jpg (95.1 KB, 80 views)
Old March 31, 2020, 11:20 AM   #22
Pahoo

870 WingMaster

Have to admit that I am a bit biased and my preference is based on my own limited exposure. .....
1) 870 WingMaster; not to be confused with the Express.
2) Ithca 37 W vent-rib
3) Browning BPS Up-Land

Quote:
There are some reports of rusting with the Remingtons and poorly finished chambers that cause shells to get stuck and fail to extract.
You are referring to the Express models and I too have had to address your listed problems. I have never had a problem with the WingMasters. My older Corn-Cobb forend has served me well. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old March 31, 2020, 11:43 AM   #23
Onward Allusion

I have a few but my favorite is an inexpensive Remy Clone - Pardner Protector... The damn thing is SOLID. Still can't believe I picked that one up for like $110 back in the day.
Old March 31, 2020, 11:46 AM   #24
stinkeypete

1. Ithaca Model 37 (mine is from 1944j. The stock just fits me better than anything off the shelf and I really like the dog and bird roll engraving on the right receiver. I like that it ejects out the bottom, and I like that the takedown makes cleaning the shell tube so easy. I seem to get seeds and bits of leaf in there. The action and trigger are fantastic.
2. 870 Wingmaster, the proper one. Mine was from the early ‘60s. The fit is almost as good for me, but I can see thats a matter of how your body is shaped. No roll engravings but also beautiful wood and steel. I admit I like how easy it is to clean the bolt assembly.

Why can’t it be easy to clean the tube AND the bolt assembly?

I had a benelli fot turkey hunting and the thing took magnum turkey loads, had that camo stuff, was perfectly reliable. It is probably fine for duck hunting or turkey hunting when you have a strong kid to carry that artillery piece around for you, but I don’t miss it one bit. Not it’s fault it’s just not got the elegance of the classics.
Old March 31, 2020, 06:02 PM   #25
Drm50

Win m12, Rem 31 and Ithaca 37 are the best three pumps ever made. Anything made since these guns demise has been a down hill spiral of race to the bottom. Some models like 870 were better made at one time but the stamped guns have never compared to milled parts guns. The Ithaca was born out of the Rem series pumps built on m10 family. The new