The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2020, 07:59 PM   #51
luger fan

Hi Joe. People 'in the know' say BUY MAGS. If this election goes Blue hi cap mage will be a thing of the past.
Old September 19, 2020, 10:34 AM   #52
sevt_chevelle

I've got multiple CZs a few of them Pre B, not a one of them looks like it was finished by a drunken monkey.

IMO, you would be better off getting a stock shadow 2 vs getting a SP01 and sending it off. The shadow 2 has an undercut frame and checkering, and no FPB!!!

My favorite CZ is the 97, it went to CGW for the E-mod conversion.
Old September 19, 2020, 09:50 PM   #53
kymasabe

Well, I've bene looking for an SP-01 Shadow, preferably something worked on by CZC or Cajun....and I've been calling local gun shops, and no one has anything in stock. I decided to stop by a local pawn shop tonight and they had a CZ-75BD in the case, used, asking $595 for it. I did notice that it had an 85-style trigger and a speed hammer on it. I inquired, but the sales guys didn't know anything about it, hadn't noticed it'd been worked on and asked that I call on Monday and speak with the gunsmith there to see what's been done to the gun.
I kinda had my mind set on spending $1000+ on a Shadow. Should I even consider the CZ-75BD ??
Can I get a magwell for it?
Can I get the (padded?) thicker mag base plates for it?
Can I get decent grips for it (like VZ, or Guun, or LOK...something thin and cool looking?
You think the Shadow is WAY better and I shouldn't waste my time?
Old September 20, 2020, 01:19 AM   #54
HighDesert

About the only guns available around me are high end CZ custom, Shadow 2 Orange, tactical Orange, or brands like Wilson Combat, etc. I haven’t seen a 75 regular anything fr a while. I’m not sure about the Magwell, but the answer is yes to all other questions.

The 75BD (decoker) will never have as nice a trigger as it’s SAO counterparts. There’s just more drag with the trigger block and decocker setups. That’s not to say the 75BD can’t have a nice trigger. Just not quite as nice, even with CGW mods. Trigger will still be better than 90% of what’s out there and not like you don’t get some advantages with a decocker.

Last edited by HighDesert; September 20, 2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old September 20, 2020, 07:55 AM   #55
sevt_chevelle

There is nothing unique about the BD model, its nothing more than a decocker vs safety.
You can get all those parts at CZ custom, Springer precision and other places.
LOK grips IMO are superior.
Old September 20, 2020, 09:37 AM   #56
kymasabe

I was looking for something with an exceptional trigger. I'm not sure I'm gonna be satisfied with a mildly tuned 75BD....hmmm, undecided.
Old September 20, 2020, 11:46 AM   #57
TunnelRat

None of the standard model CZs I’ve owned have what I would call an exceptional trigger. It will be much better after some CGW parts, but out of box I think a number of pistols are better. That said I haven’t had the chance to shoot a Shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 20, 2020, 12:41 PM   #58
kymasabe

The 75bd I saw had an 85ish trigger and a race/speed hammer and I have no idea what other internals. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.
Old September 20, 2020, 03:36 PM   #59
cslinger

Although I don’t feel CZ triggers in general are bad by any stretch I I don’t think you will get exceptional by any means unless you go CGW or start with one of the more target focused.

The Shadow 2’s I have dry fired have pretty amazing triggers out of the box to me, but I am not the best person to speak to trigger nuances.

Last edited by cslinger; September 20, 2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old September 20, 2020, 04:25 PM   #60
luger fan

CZ's are COMBAT pistols. Though they are very accurate they were not designed as target pieces.
Old September 20, 2020, 04:31 PM   #61
TunnelRat

CZ questions...any CZ fans?

And yet CZs are very popular in a number of competition venues. Being originally designed as a COMBAT pistol and having a nice trigger aren’t always mutually exclusive, especially when a manufacturer offers options specifically geared to competition.

Old September 21, 2020, 10:17 AM   #62
1911_Hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger fan View Post
CZ's are COMBAT pistols. Though they are very accurate they were not designed as target pieces.
That's true of some CZs, but certainly not all.
I'm pretty sure the Tactical Sport, TS Czechmate, CZC A01-LD, or Shadow II (particularly the Shadow TARGET II) weren't designed for the battle field or for police holsters.

Last edited by 1911_Hardball; September 21, 2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old September 21, 2020, 03:30 PM   #63
2wheelwander

A few days ago my Physical therapist came over and she is new to guns and knew I was an enthusiast. She wants her first gun and asked for help and input so I invited her over. She'd already asked if I'd heard of CZ and if I had any she could shoot.

I laid out a G22, G43, RAMI, PCR, an XD in .45, Beretta Model 84 and a half dozen others. SAO, DA/SA, and striker fired. She thought she wanted a G43. I didn't tell her what anything was, just loaded the mags and handed them to her. Put up targets and she fired them all. Again and again she kept coming back to the PCR. She is a new shooter, but her accuracy was measurably better with the PCR than the G43.

Had coffee with her husband last night. He said she is getting increasingly verbal about him getting her one ordered. She WANTS that PCR. She shot it well and praised its grip and ergos above the others. Her 2nd choice was the RAMI, 3rd was the XD Mod 2 in .45. Had I had one of those in 9mm she may have went for that.
Old September 21, 2020, 04:28 PM   #64
luger fan

Hi 2. I have been shooting over 50 years and collecting ( hoarding ) about as long. I bought a Glock 19 when they first came out. It was OK but nothing to get excited about. I started reading about the P-01 and how accurate and reliable it was. I bought the first one I could find and with 1000 rounds of Winchester White Box decided to see how far it could go WITHOUT cleaning. The first magazine was the most accurate I had ever fired with a combat handgun, Glock was sold next day.
About 800 flawless rounds later I couldn't stand how dirty it was so I cleaned it. It took two cans of GunScrubber just to get the dirt/carbon off.
I have given 4-5 away to family and friends. They all LOVE the P-01.
Old September 21, 2020, 04:45 PM   #65
cslinger

Not that I don’t think the PCR / P01 are not phenomenal handguns but comparing them to a G43 is a little like stacking the deck with a ton of aces. . No disrespect to the G43 but an itty bitty plastic 9mm to a perfectly sized metal gun with a grip made for actual human hands.

She made a good choice.
Old September 21, 2020, 04:46 PM   #66
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
Not that I don’t think the PCR / P01 are not phenomenal handguns but comparing them to a G43 is a little like stacking the deck with a ton of aces. . No disrespect to the G43 but an itty bitty plastic 9mm to a perfectly sized metal gun with a grip made for actual human hands.

She made a good choice.

I’d agree, as long as she still finds it comfortable for carry if that is part of her goal (my assumption from her wanting to look at a G43). There’s a big size difference between a P-01 and G43. I’ve carried a P-01, it’s definitely doable and comfortable too, just saying.

Edit: I say this as someone that also doesn’t like the G43 after owning one.

Old September 21, 2020, 05:20 PM   #67
kymasabe

Looked at the CZ75BD...looks to have a Cajun Gun Works decocker pro package. $595 plus tax and background check. With 2 mags and #matching CZ case.
Really wanted the SP-01 Shadow but they're double the price and harder to find.
You think I should go for the 75BD?
I'm not terribly impressed with the double action trigger, has some stacking, but single action was very nice !
Old September 21, 2020, 05:28 PM   #68
TunnelRat

I think it’s worth figuring out if you want a decocker model or a safety model before ordering a pistol. If you don’t care either way that’s fine too. I think ordering through CGW is a fine idea.

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 21, 2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old September 21, 2020, 05:53 PM   #69
cslinger

I am going to say no. Don’t for the BD, UNLESS, you are fully prepared to buy what you really want after.

Is the 75BD a great gun? Yeah.
Is the work done done by a well regarded firm? Heck yeah.
Is it really what you want? No. It doesn’t sound like it. I think you may regret not chasing down a Shadow or “similar” even if you have subsequent work.

I don’t mean this to say “Your a damn fool that BD isn’t in the same league. Blah blah. Not at all. I just say this as a guy who has bought his fair shares of runners up only to regret not just waiting to buy my main choice.

Side note I always kinda wanted a BD. I mean my SP01s are basically modernized, heavier 75BDs. But I don’t own a classically shaped 75 and the BD always catches my eye as a decocker. Guy
Old September 21, 2020, 07:10 PM   #70
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
Looked at the CZ75BD...looks to have a Cajun Gun Works decocker pro package. $595 plus tax and background check. With 2 mags and #matching CZ case.
Really wanted the SP-01 Shadow but they're double the price and harder to find.
You think I should go for the 75BD?
I'm not terribly impressed with the double action trigger, has some stacking, but single action was very nice !
First off, the 75BD is a used pawnshop gun. So you really don't know its history or what's been done to it or how many rounds shot through it.

The big question is, does it actually have a CGW Pro package. The only way to know is to provide the serial number to David and ask him.
Once you get the answer, you can make a more informed decision.
Old September 21, 2020, 07:11 PM   #71
TunnelRat

^ this is good advice IMO.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 21, 2020, 09:29 PM   #72
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
I am going to say no. Don’t for the BD, UNLESS, you are fully prepared to buy what you really want after.

Is the 75BD a great gun? Yeah.
Is the work done done by a well regarded firm? Heck yeah.
Is it really what you want? No. It doesn’t sound like it. I think you may regret not chasing down a Shadow or “similar” even if you have subsequent work.

I don’t mean this to say “Your a damn fool that BD isn’t in the same league. Blah blah. Not at all. I just say this as a guy who has bought his fair shares of runners up only to regret not just waiting to buy my main choice.

Side note I always kinda wanted a BD. I mean my SP01s are basically modernized, heavier 75BDs. But I don’t own a classically shaped 75 and the BD always catches my eye as a decocker. Guy
I think you're right. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, I'd be settling for less than I'm looking for, and not matter how nice the gun is, will eventually regret not holding out for what I really wanted in the first place. I think I'll pass on it and keep looking.
Old September 22, 2020, 10:45 PM   #73
railroader

Sp-01 shadow in stock at CZ Custom $880.
https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz...exclusive.html
Old September 24, 2020, 04:26 AM   #74
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwander View Post
A few days ago my Physical therapist came over and she is new to guns and knew I was an enthusiast. She wants her first gun and asked for help and input so I invited her over. She'd already asked if I'd heard of CZ and if I had any she could shoot.

I laid out a G22, G43, RAMI, PCR, an XD in .45, Beretta Model 84 and a half dozen others. SAO, DA/SA, and striker fired. She thought she wanted a G43. I didn't tell her what anything was, just loaded the mags and handed them to her. Put up targets and she fired them all.....
Well done, 2wheelwander. IMHO, a new shooter who has an active hand in choosing that first gun is more likely to stick with it.

I've done something similar for a friend who wanted a cc pistol. He and I grew up together and I know he's been shooting for 40 years, but it'd been overwhelmingly shotguns and rifles. Anyway, he and I took a half dozen pistols ranging from an LCR to a 1911 out, and I let him shoot them all to make his decision.
Old September 24, 2020, 04:06 PM   #75
sevt_chevelle

One can still find Shadow 2 Blues online for 1100-1200.

The pro package is just 250ish bucks just for parts.
The in-house CGW pro package is 460ish. One would have to be a complete fool to sell a CGW 75 or less then $595

The 85 combat trigger does nothing, its slightly flatter and has overtravel screws.