The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 11, 2020, 09:41 PM   #26
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I loaded some 150 Hornadys for a friend in 1973 because "my deer are running off". He killed 5 with 6 shots, but always cussed at me for how explosive they were. I was loading them for his old 721 at 2600fps. Weatherby loaded Hornadys in their ammo for years because of their explosiveness.
Yep. Wby loads the interlock in the 6 5x300. I call it a baby bomb. And wby has also historically loaded a lot of bonded Norma. Those bullets are tough as nails. They expand decent but they are not coming apart.
Old September 12, 2020, 12:45 AM   #27
bamaranger

tipped

Seems I've read that plastic/poly tipped bullets intended for for game shooting suffer deformation at long range due to air friction. I've also read that at conventional hunting distances, say to 300 yds, that a sloppy lead tip won't make much difference in whitetail accuracy. Seems too I've read that the rear of the bullet lends itself to accuracy more than the tip. I've not tested any of that myself, but do take tip deformed cartridges and relegate them to practice as their appearance makes me doubt their accuracy.

Hornady sells the ultra expensive A-Max Match, which I believe has a metal tip. Another metal tipped bullet that comes to mind is the old Remingtn Bronze Point. There were fellas in my area that swore by them in .270/130.
Old September 12, 2020, 11:15 AM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Seems I've read that plastic/poly tipped bullets intended for for game shooting suffer deformation at long range due to air friction. I've also read that at conventional hunting distances, say to 300 yds, that a sloppy lead tip won't make much difference in whitetail accuracy. Seems too I've read that the rear of the bullet lends itself to accuracy more than the tip. I've not tested any of that myself, but do take tip deformed cartridges and relegate them to practice as their appearance makes me doubt their accuracy.

Hornady sells the ultra expensive A-Max Match, which I believe has a metal tip. Another metal tipped bullet that comes to mind is the old Remingtn Bronze Point. There were fellas in my area that swore by them in .270/130.
They found through doppler testing that the polymer tips were melting. Dont think it ever effected accuracy. Now the materials dont melt, supposedly.
Old September 13, 2020, 04:01 PM   #29
Jack O'Conner

I topple pronghorn antelope at long range with my .243 loaded the SST bullet. Always a ghastly wound channel through the lungs. My closest shot was about 275 yards.

Jack
Old September 14, 2020, 03:59 PM   #30
bamaranger

melting

I'm thinking that was a "Rifleman" article introducing the Hornady ELD-X bullet. The melting effected some aspect of the flight, whether accuracy or "drop" I cannot recall.

Intended for shorter ranges, I think the SST still utilizes a conventional plastic tip.
Old September 14, 2020, 04:12 PM   #31
Double K

Wondering what velocity standard sst tips experience deformation or melting.

When Nosler ballistic tips were first introduced in 6.5 120gr{long time ago!} anecdotal evidence from observed trajectory differences between it and the 125 partition were significant, didn't seem like they were suffering any damage in fact I found one under the hide just inside the entrance hole once on a deer that looked perfect. That was from a full bore 264 win mag load.
Old September 15, 2020, 05:23 PM   #32
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
Wondering what velocity standard sst tips experience deformation or melting.

When Nosler ballistic tips were first introduced in 6.5 120gr{long time ago!} anecdotal evidence from observed trajectory differences between it and the 125 partition were significant, didn't seem like they were suffering any damage in fact I found one under the hide just inside the entrance hole once on a deer that looked perfect. That was from a full bore 264 win mag load.
The Nosler Ballistic tip is not in any way comparable to the Partition. Totally different shape. The ballistic tip and the Solid Base were the same shape, same b.c. bullet.
Old September 15, 2020, 05:25 PM   #33
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I'm thinking that was a "Rifleman" article introducing the Hornady ELD-X bullet. The melting effected some aspect of the flight, whether accuracy or "drop" I cannot recall.

Intended for shorter ranges, I think the SST still utilizes a conventional plastic tip.
First place I heard it was in an eldx add.