The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Sam58

Help wanted with side by side Hunter.

Hi, new on this forum but looks great. I live in Holland and purchased an old side by side shotgun in kaliber 12/70. On the barrel is engraved 'Hunter', but not sure whether that is the brand or the type. Serial number is FSC37739. On the bottom of the right barrel is printed 650 kgs and on the left barrel 1310. Any idea what we are looking at and how old it is? Still works great and accurate.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ANE-LX1 met Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2020, 04:28 PM   #2
eastbank

i,m no help, but if it checked out as safe and it looks like its in good condition. i would put a oil finish on the stock and go hunting.
Old June 15, 2020, 04:50 PM   #3
FITASC

No other markings? No country of origin? I am having a hard time reading the marks in the third pic; could this be German, Austrian or ?????
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 16, 2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Virginian

That's a large variance in pressure. Bet one is Kgs and one is BAR.
Old June 16, 2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Henneman

I would speculate that this is of Spanish origin. It appears to have "chopper lump" barrels and perhaps a "Greener" style cross bolt and underlugs. The chopper lump barrels are typical of this style. What's not helpful to you that there were quite a few different manufacturers of double barrels of various quality in the Eibar region of Spain. Most of these are gone now as they were dependent on traditional manufacture methods and aging skilled artisans. These companies also sold guns under various trade names too. I have a similar Ugartechea (mfg.) that was labeled "Excel." That company ceased operation in 2016, if I recall. I also had a Spanish double barrel years ago which was serviceable, but not as nice as the Ugartechea. I think most of these Spanish guns are good shooters, and some are very high quality, i.e. AYA. Unfortunately I know nothing of European or Spanish proof marks, and that is where the definitive solution to the mystery lies.
Old June 16, 2020, 06:53 PM   #6
FITASC

If you Google Spanish proof marks you should get some answers
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 17, 2020, 01:16 AM   #7
Sam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henneman View Post
I would speculate that this is of Spanish origin. It appears to have "chopper lump" barrels and perhaps a "Greener" style cross bolt and underlugs. The chopper lump barrels are typical of this style. What's not helpful to you that there were quite a few different manufacturers of double barrels of various quality in the Eibar region of Spain. Most of these are gone now as they were dependent on traditional manufacture methods and aging skilled artisans. These companies also sold guns under various trade names too. I have a similar Ugartechea (mfg.) that was labeled "Excel." That company ceased operation in 2016, if I recall. I also had a Spanish double barrel years ago which was serviceable, but not as nice as the Ugartechea. I think most of these Spanish guns are good shooters, and some are very high quality, i.e. AYA. Unfortunately I know nothing of European or Spanish proof marks, and that is where the definitive solution to the mystery lies.
Thanks Henneman. Interesting stuf!

Old June 17, 2020, 07:34 AM   #8
stuckinthe60s

can we see the buttplate?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 17, 2020, 07:38 AM   #9
stuckinthe60s

buttplate and pistol grip art sometimes can i.d. a gun.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 19, 2020, 12:28 AM   #10
Romulus

You can make out the Eibar Proofing House mark (shield wit X through it) on the bottom row, fourth proof from the right. That may help narrow it down.
Rom

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old June 19, 2020, 12:42 AM   #11
Romulus

From Chuck Hawks

"The Charles Daly Field II Hunter was an inexpensive Spanish made boxlock marketed by K.B.I. (now defunct). It featured a checkered walnut pistol grip stock and beavertail forearm, engraved silver receiver, monobloc barrels with a solid rib, gold selective single trigger, extractors and automatic safety. It was available in 10, 12, 20, 28, and .410 gauge. The somewhat fancier Superior Grade weighed about 7 pounds and was similar in specification, but came with chrome lined barrels. It was available in 12 and 20 gauge only. At the top of the line was the deluxe Empire Hunter with game scene engraving and selective ejectors."

Closest I could find to a Spanish double with the "Hunter" moniker.
Rom

Old June 19, 2020, 01:26 AM   #12
Romulus

Just read that the field grade Hunter shotguns were made for Charles Daly by the Zabala hermanos in Eibar, Spain. Eibar up in Basque country is to Spain what Gardone Val Trompia is to Italy, amazing how many makers they have

Rom

Old June 19, 2020, 01:04 PM   #13
Henneman

The Spanish sxs I had thirty years ago was also a "Zabala." I gave it to a friend who used it for ruffed grouse until it was stolen in a burglary. That gun was not adorned as nicely as the pics above. As the original poster is in Holland, he should buy a "Holland & Holland." They make some decent guns, at a slightly higher price point. They have a store nearby in London.
Old June 19, 2020, 04:14 PM   #14
Romulus

Old June 19, 2020, 05:23 PM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
Just read that the field grade Hunter shotguns were made for Charles Daly by the Zabala hermanos in Eibar, Spain. Eibar up in Basque country is to Spain what Gardone Val Trompia is to Italy, amazing how many makers they have

Rom
______
No Longer. HAD would be appropriate. Kemen is left as is AyA, maybe 1 or 2 small shops as well.
Old June 19, 2020, 06:10 PM   #16
Romulus

How sad! Thanks for that info.
Rom

Old June 20, 2020, 02:44 AM   #17
Sam58

Thanks for all this information guys, impressive and helpful. I got the gun from an old friend who stopped hunting. He had the gun for over 30 yrs and no idea about the origins. I will keep it and shot a few rounds now and then. It's pretty accurate. For the clay range I have a Browning b525, simple and fantastic gun.

Old June 20, 2020, 05:28 AM   #18
Romulus

If the OP from the great state of the Netherlands doesn't mind, I'd like to ask the moderator move this thread to The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research section, I'd like to enlist some additional knowledge. Thanks,
Rom

Old June 21, 2020, 01:01 AM   #19
Sam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
If the OP from the great state of the Netherlands doesn't mind, I'd like to ask the moderator move this thread to The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research section, I'd like to enlist some additional knowledge. Thanks,
Rom

Sounds great to me. Please go ahead.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Old July 31, 2020, 09:32 AM   #20
clang

The 12-70 mostly likely stands for 12 gauge, 70mm chambers, so 2 3/4" shells are OK.

I believe the 650 kgs is the allowable working pressure rating of 650 kg/cm2, which equates to about 9,250 psi, so no heavy loads is best.

1310 is most likely the weight of the barrels, 1,310 grams. I bet it's a pretty light shotgun - great for field carry.