The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 27, 2020, 06:01 PM   #26
MC 1911

[QUOTE=dogtown tom;6840982]Not always true.
A VAF/UPIN allow FBI NICS to keep a persons information open until that person requests it be closed.

When the FBI runs a buyers NICS check, all information from "proceeds" are deleted at the end of that business day. Delays are held open until status changes to "proceed", then deleted. Denied transactions are kept open permanently.

Remember, dealers in all states do not contact FBI NICS directly. Those nanny states may hold up the transfer for their own reason unrelated to FBI NICS.

In the 10 years I did transfers I've never seen a UPIN # prevent a delay.

Last edited by MC 1911; December 27, 2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old December 27, 2020, 07:31 PM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
mehavey
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone needing the law firm at your link to fill out the VAF/UPIN form probably shouldn't own a gun or operate heavy machinery.
Rather arrogant.
No sir. Arrogant is an attorney charging someone $2000 to fill in the blanks on this form:
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...rm-25.pdf/view
In fact, it's virtually the same information that a buyer DOES ALL BY HIMSELF when he completes a Form 4473.

Quote:
Apparently you've never dealt with what happens to those who find themselves
[or are themselves] deeply entangled with what has become todays legal "system."
Yet the OP isn't entangled in the legal system.....only in delayed status while FBI NICS conducts additional research. NICS delays happen literally thousands of times a day, I have around 3-6 every week.

If the OP is denied, that's another story, but that's NOT what's happening. Anyone advising "get a lawyer" doesn't know what they are talking about.

Quote:
If you are familiar with -- or are yourself -- entangled with the law, and still say that.....

My "counsel" to the OP who has expressed frustration that the "system" still has him ensnared... it might yet be money well spent.
See above.
Enough said.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 27, 2020, 07:36 PM   #28
dogtown tom

Quote:
MC 1911

Quote:
Remember, dealers in all states do not contact FBI NICS directly. Those nanny states may hold up the transfer for their own reason unrelated to FBI NICS.

In the 10 years I did transfers I've never seen a UPIN # prevent a delay.
In over twelve years I have.
You're in Virginia where dealers do not contact FBI NICS directly. As I wrote above..... nanny states may hold up the transfer for their own reason unrelated to FBI NICS.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 27, 2020, 08:12 PM   #29
drewrico

Well, reading over the comments since I last posted. I know I definitely do NOT need a lawyer. I'm more than familiar enough with the law to know that I don't need one. Long story short, my information wasn't correctly deleted from certain systems when my pardon went through. I was DENIED a firearm purchase a couple months ago. Through that, I did a firearm denial challenge and through that process my record was sent to state police records and the state police confirmed to the FBI that I received a full pardon and that I would be deleted from the FBI's database. When I went to purchase the gun again it was DELAYED, not denied. In fact, NICS told the FFL that if they didn't hear anything back by December 31st that I could go and pick up the gun. At this point, through ALL the conversation here, I'm feeling the best plan moving forward would just complete the VAF file and while that's happening get my CCDW in my state. From what I understand, the process of buying a handgun is much easier and faster with a CCDW.
Old December 28, 2020, 12:00 AM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrico
From what I understand, the process of buying a handgun is much easier and faster with a CCDW.
Not in all states. Some states use the permit as proof of having passed the background check. Other states don't do that.

I don't have a lit of which states function which way, and I don't think you have said what state you live in so you'll have to determine for yourself whether or not the permit will expedite the background check in your state.
Jeepaholic
Old December 30, 2020, 03:50 PM   #31
GE-Minigun

I have a customer that’s a state police officer in VA…he has a UPIN number and it does no good he’s always delayed…interesting thing…he was stationed across the street from where we call into. One day while in uniform he had to deliver some paper work to them (NICS) and while there he asked the supervisor why he’s always delayed, guy said he had no idea, he was going back and forth with him and both had a good laugh that he was always delayed and a police officer. What’s all this getting too? I don’t think the UPIN well help you, at least in my experience.
Old December 30, 2020, 05:38 PM   #32
drewrico

Well just to clear everything up, my NICS background check was approved today so I guess in the future I’ll always be delayed but come back clear. Seems my firearm denial challenge worked and I’m good to go now.
Old December 30, 2020, 05:55 PM   #33
mehavey

Very glad "The System" worked.
Old January 1, 2021, 06:32 PM   #34
raimius

Congrats!