The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2021, 03:17 AM   #26
zoo

FN makes good barrels, at least they use to. Maybe even better than BA. I trust the rest of AP’s uppers more than PSA’s quality-wise though. Then again I’m no expert on the topic so I should probably just shut my blowhole.
Old January 9, 2021, 12:42 PM   #27
rickyrick

That’s the thing, I have a $79 unlined 16”, carbine gas, 5.56, 4150 barrel with the dumb grenade launcher cut-out from Anderson that outshoots them all.

One person will have good experience with AP the next will be PSA.

Overall AP is better, in my opinion. I have nothing negative really to say about the FN barrel PSA uses.

I know lapping the receiver face is controversial with ARs, I do it to all of mine... definitely doesn’t make accuracy worse. I would do it even if bought assembled.

Some of the AP line has different barrel nut and guard assemblies that my need particular tools to remove.

I feel if you get AP, you are going to get better hardware and accessories.

PSA FN barrels, no complaints
PSA BCGs are great
PSA Receivers are good
PSA Triggers sets are passable, stay away from the “enhanced” triggers or whatever they call them now.
PSA Plastic’s (stocks, hand-guards etc).... seems like they came from a dollar store.
PSA business practices... two thumbs down.
Old January 9, 2021, 09:24 PM   #28
ed308

The most accurate barrels I own are AR15 Performance barrel. And thats in .223/5.56, .224V, 6.8SPC, 6.5G, .308, 6.5CM, and several wildcats. All shoot .5" MOA. And his barrels aren't that expensive. Which is why I have bought a PSA barrel in years. I have bought a one BA barrel in 6.5 CM the last couple of years. The ARP barrel is more accurate so far.
Old January 15, 2021, 06:46 PM   #29
Kurbsky

Aero Precision is not an ideal place to deal with either. Same story - one week after ordering my complete upper I called them and asked why my oder status is still "processing". Their answer: "We don't have then in stock. Upper are made on order and then you have to wait several weeks before we ship".
Old January 15, 2021, 07:25 PM   #30
wild cat mccane

I'm almost certain Toolcraft makes 90% of all BCGs in the world. No matter who is selling them with their company stamp on them
Old January 18, 2021, 09:49 PM   #31
dvdcrr

Del-Ton
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.