The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2021, 10:16 AM   #26
wild cat mccane

What about slightly more expensive in Spyderco? Any quality improvements?

Looking at benchmade for a second and will ask on that next.

Thank you! Again, just going to to buy off what you all think. I know nothing about them
Old January 10, 2021, 12:11 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

Welp...almost last call.

Benchmade Griptillian. Is there a better option, either slightly above or below price?

Last edited by wild cat mccane; January 10, 2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old January 10, 2021, 07:58 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Hard to go wrong with Benchmade or Spyderco. Find a look you like with a blade length/style you like and you should be good to go.

Something to think about. G10 is good-looking and grippy, but is pretty rough. Knives with tight pocket clips and G10 scales can be really hard on clothes. Just something to keep in mind. I have and carry G10 knives, so it's not a showstopper, but the first time I bought a G10 folder with a clip, it was a bit of a surprise.
Old January 10, 2021, 09:37 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

Beauty comment!!! Thank you for that thought. Definitely not looking to get a wear print faster than needed.
Old January 13, 2021, 11:43 AM   #30
wild cat mccane

So just going off price, Spyderco actually seems more expensive than Benchmade. The plot thickens! haha. Dang it.

The basic Spyderco CPM S30V knives are more expensive than the basic Benchmade CPM S30V.

It looks like the cheaper Spyderco knifes are all that China steel 8Cr13MoV.

So was going Griptillian from Benchmade...but still unsure. Maybe the 8Cr13MoV is worth the savings for a cheaper Sypderco. Hum.
Old January 13, 2021, 02:36 PM   #31
Bill DeShivs

Picking a knife is as personal as picking a wife.
That said, I'm a knife guy. I make them. I repair them. I even design them.
I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army knife.

If you want something inexpensive, but good-you might look at Ganzo/Firebird knives. Made in China, but really good knives.
Old January 13, 2021, 04:50 PM   #32
wild cat mccane

Thanks Bill. That carries a lot of weight and I'll check into those too.

So many choices. Like you said though, it's personal and I just don't care to do a lot of research so I appreciate the comments.
Old January 13, 2021, 04:52 PM   #33
wild cat mccane

Haha. Thanks Bill.

Just bought the last Firebird Ganzo in orange off Amazon.

Will get a Benchmade Grip too I think. Still not set yet.
Old January 14, 2021, 02:25 AM   #34
zoo

I've carried a Kershaw Blur EDC for the last few years. Good folder. Gone back and forth between the tanto blade and regular. When I lose one I go and get another. Only around 60 or 70 bucks, almost like a switchblade.
Old January 30, 2021, 02:13 PM   #35
dyl

I also tried a few Ganzo knives, and have kept 1, the model that looks like the Spyderco Paramilitary 2, but with their version of Benchmade's Axis lock. I have since gotten a left handed PM2, but until then i had to switch hands to close it with my right hand.

I still like the Ganzo. Being 440c, it sharpens quickly which means you don't have to hold your concentration as long. Ganzos are just a bit heavier and thicker than the models they are based on, but not grossly so. Funny thing is, I've got enough knives that I switch between, even the Ganzo would probably last my whole life before it is unusable from over sharpening.

Now it's time to get into sharpening. Got a bench stone and a guided sharpener for when you get fed up?
Old February 1, 2021, 10:43 AM   #36
gnystrom

Hogue Knives. Made in the USA and they are a gun friendly company.
or auto
Old February 1, 2021, 06:25 PM   #37
alancac98

I like the Hogue pictured. Here's why: Notice, the clip is on the opposite side of the blade. If you practice enough, you can rotate your hand slightly to retrieve the knife and open it as soon as it clears your pocket. Most knives have the pocket clip on the same side as the knife blade screw, so when you take it out of your pocket, you have to turn it in your hand. I had a race with a guy one time on pulling our knives out and opening them in preparation to defend yourself. He couldn't believe how fast I was. Mine was out and opened before he even turned his knife. We got in a discussion about my knife and how I use it in my pocket. Needless to say, he was going knife shopping!
Old February 1, 2021, 07:22 PM   #38
Captains1911

It’s kind of like asking what shoes to get, expect a different answer from every person.

I own 50 or so folding knives, but I seem to gravitate to either a Benchmade Griptillian or Benchmade Bugout most of the time. I also really like the 940 Osborne. The Benchmade axis lock mechanism is just superb IMO. I’ve wanted to like a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, but I just can’t stand the thumb hole in lieu of a stud, it just feels awkward to me. However, as mentioned earlier, Benchmade has made some questionable decisions in recent years regarding gun rights, so there is that.

There are so many good answers here.
Old February 1, 2021, 09:06 PM   #39
Blue Jays

Have mostly Benchmade, Spyderco, Chris Reeve, Microtech, and Busse in my collection.
Was not aware that Benchmade has not fully supported our beloved 2A. I must research that news.
I will say an opening hole feels the most intuitive and (to me) least chance for thumb to slide into blade.
Old February 2, 2021, 07:26 PM   #40
TB9

Glove box , tackle box , hunting pack I’ve had pretty good luck with the Ontario Rat 1 & 2 knives
Old February 3, 2021, 08:27 PM   #41
603Country

After cycling through a bunch of knives, I finally found the right one. It’s the Benchmade Griptilian.
Old February 4, 2021, 05:31 PM   #42
dyl

The griptillian eh? You can look for their upgraded versions if you must have G10, but it's not particularly grippy. There are also aftermarket copper, brass, titanium, aluminum scales that are....overpriced. Probably some Micarta out there too. Usually upgraded versions of Benchmades will have a "-1" or "-2" after the model name.

As a side note, copper and brass are anti-microbial because of their copper content, which includes viruses. Copper smells like pennies though, and will patina (natural staining). Some people love that.
Old February 4, 2021, 10:49 PM   #43
Captains1911

I have 3 or 4 Griptillians, and a few mini grips. My favorite is the 551-1, with G10 scales and CPM-20CV steel. It is a little heavier and less grippy, but it’s my favorite folder I own (and I own many).

https://www.benchmade.com/551-1.html
Old February 5, 2021, 12:21 AM   #44
Geezerbiker

Kershaw makes some great knives in the 50 to 100 buck range. I think I paid around $50 for the one I have and I've been carrying for the past year or two. I'm very happy with how well it holds and edge and it's spring assist so it's one handed to open...

Tony