The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 11, 2022, 08:39 AM   #1
std7mag

Interest in Weatherby Mark V actions?

While talking with a tech from Weatherby, i was surprised to find that thet do not sell their Mark V action or barreled action.

This was saddening, after thoughts of building a wildcat 7mm-378 ELR/ULR rifle on a Mark V action.

So i'm seeking input on any interest for the Mark V action on the 3 firearm related forums that i'm on.
If enough interest, then i plan on taking my results to Weatherby.

Thank You!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 11, 2022, 01:38 PM   #2
taylorce1

Honestly, I'm not interested in the Mark V action. I'm also not interested in building an ELR rifle.
Old December 11, 2022, 01:46 PM   #3
Nathan

Why the Mark V vs one of the custom Lapua big bolt face actions?
Old December 11, 2022, 03:22 PM   #4
stagpanther

For a number of reasons, Weatherby has always "gone their own way" when designing their rifles; the MK 5's typically are going to come with their own unique in-line 6 or 9 lug bolt which I believe the barrel has to be timed precisely to when fitted. Even their lower-end Vanguard (howa 1500 in drag) which has a more conventional bolt head lug arrangement is not made with the intention of end-user "easy on and off" barrel replacement. I've tried twice and failed both times. Mk 5's are great rifles IMO.

OH--I see what this is about--std7 wants a 7mm ICBM. You'll DEFINITELY want an action that allows easy barrel switch out since you'll likely be incinerating barrels pretty frequently. That's why I built a 7mmSTW on a savage action.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 11, 2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old December 12, 2022, 01:22 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I don't think Weatherby ever sold actions or barreled actions. From the early days of a "garage shop" on, Roy Weatherby sold his RIFLES, as rifles, not parts.
Am not at all surprised to see Weatherby still continuing that tradition.

If you want a custom build on a Mk V Weatherby action, I strongly suspect you'll need to start by buying a used Weatherby Mk V rifle, and going from there.

As already mentioned, rebarreling a Weatherby Mk V is not something for the home hobby gunsmith.
Old December 12, 2022, 02:13 PM   #6
MarkCO

I have a Weatherby, and I really like it. I bought a wholesale barrel in my caliber when they discontinued my specific rifle.

But, like Posts 4 and 5 stated, not a great choice for a custom. There are SO many great custom actions out there that are better choices IMHO, than fiddling with a Mark V action. And no, if they were available, I'd not want one, nor buy one.
Old December 13, 2022, 09:40 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
For a number of reasons, Weatherby has always "gone their own way" when designing their rifles; the MK 5's typically are going to come with their own unique in-line 6 or 9 lug bolt which I believe the barrel has to be timed precisely to when fitted. Even their lower-end Vanguard (howa 1500 in drag) which has a more conventional bolt head lug arrangement is not made with the intention of end-user "easy on and off" barrel replacement. I've tried twice and failed both times. Mk 5's are great rifles IMO.

OH--I see what this is about--std7 wants a 7mm ICBM. You'll DEFINITELY want an action that allows easy barrel switch out since you'll likely be incinerating barrels pretty frequently. That's why I built a 7mmSTW on a savage action.
Vanguard is easy to rebarrel as A 700 Rem. Mark V nothing special either.
The best way to get a Mark V action used to be to buy a weather warrior just for the action and stock. Now they are expensive too.
Old December 13, 2022, 09:52 PM   #8
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
While talking with a tech from Weatherby, i was surprised to find that thet do not sell their Mark V action or barreled action.

This was saddening, after thoughts of building a wildcat 7mm-378 ELR/ULR rifle on a Mark V action.

So i'm seeking input on any interest for the Mark V action on the 3 firearm related forums that i'm on.
If enough interest, then i plan on taking my results to Weatherby.

Thank You!
Do you have a 7 Rum? I have two. They are ultra barrel eaters. I can imagine the shortness of life a 7 378 would have.
If you want a barrel eater, a very easy way to build one is to buy a Savage 338 Lapua and build a 7-338 Lapua.
Old December 13, 2022, 11:03 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa two lug push feed action. It has cosmetic features that make it look a lot like a Wby Mk V, but it is a different action.

One might say that while a Vanguard is a Weatherby, the Mark V is the Weatherby...
Old December 14, 2022, 03:34 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Weatherby has a job opening for you.
Quote:
One might say that while a Vanguard is a Weatherby, the Mark V is the Weatherby...
One could also say in the beginning the MK 5 wasn't really a Weatherby either since its manufacture was farmed out as well. All that said, I've seen a definite improvement in Weatherbys with their opening of their new factory where I think everything is now in-house manufacture (with perhaps the exception of the Vanguard). If you want custom work done--including blueprinting upon manufacture--they will do that for you, but that means getting on a waiting list. IMO, Weatherby still maintains its primary dedication to the professional hunter while still giving them an outstanding rifle--they know that hunter is likely not a customizer and instead want a custom-level gun right out of the box.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 14, 2022 at 05:36 AM.
Old December 14, 2022, 09:06 AM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Weatherby has a job opening for you.
One could also say in the beginning the MK 5 wasn't really a Weatherby either since its manufacture was farmed out as well. All that said, I've seen a definite improvement in Weatherbys with their opening of their new factory where I think everything is now in-house manufacture (with perhaps the exception of the Vanguard). If you want custom work done--including blueprinting upon manufacture--they will do that for you, but that means getting on a waiting list. IMO, Weatherby still maintains its primary dedication to the professional hunter while still giving them an outstanding rifle--they know that hunter is likely not a customizer and instead want a custom-level gun right out of the box.
Please explain to me what makes a Vanguard harder than a 700 to rebarrel. Some people can't figure out how to get the old barrel off, but it's not hard once you figure it out once.
Old December 14, 2022, 09:08 AM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
The Weatherby Vanguard is a Howa two lug push feed action. It has cosmetic features that make it look a lot like a Wby Mk V, but it is a different action.

For clarification, Did I even remotely suggest the Vanguard and Mark V we're the same or similar actions? The Vanguard is actually a semi clone of a 700.
Old December 14, 2022, 02:16 PM   #13
MarkCO

Quote:
I've seen a definite improvement in Weatherbys with their opening of their new factory where I think everything is now in-house manufacture (with perhaps the exception of the Vanguard).
I agree on the quality. The Vanguard and their shotguns are imported, but the MarkVs are made in Sheridan, at least that is what I've been told by an employee.

Their shotgun line is downright impressive, and an often overlooked bargain all things considered.
Old December 14, 2022, 03:27 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
One could also say in the beginning the MK 5 wasn't really a Weatherby either since its manufacture was farmed out as well.
I wouldn't say that. In the beginning, Weatherby rifles were built on Mauser actions. Or customer supplied actions, and apparently a few of the first ones were done on Springfields or Win 70s. A bit later, Weatherby contracted with Sauer & Sohn and they built rifles on mauser actions or customer supplied actions, in Germany for Weatherby. After the design of the MK V action, Sauer built them as rifles. In (I believe) the 70s, Weatherby shifted that operation to Howa in Japan and are still using them today.

Other than his few first custom rifles, made in his CA shop, Weatherby rifles have always been "made" by some other manufacturer, to Weatherby specs.

Same with Weatherby ammo. Weatherby kept his cartridges essentially "proprietary" for a long, long time. Weatherby ammo was made by Norma, some used Nosler bullets all said "Weatherby" and Norma's name was in the fine print on the box.

IF you design a thing, own the rights to it, no matter who you contract with to actually produce it, its still "yours".
Old December 22, 2022, 02:27 PM   #15
old roper

This is custom work done Vanguard.

https://weatherby.com/build-your-own/configure/12386/
NRA Life Member
Old December 22, 2022, 07:01 PM   #16
Shadow9mm

Its too proprietary of a system imho. If you want their gun you buy it an use it as built. Stocks, chassis, barrels, you have very limited options.
Old December 22, 2022, 09:30 PM   #17
old roper

Shadow9mm, That's Wby custom shop.
NRA Life Member
Old December 22, 2022, 09:37 PM   #18
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
Shadow9mm, That's Wby custom shop.
My point exactly. All through weatherby. No real aftermarket options. Its weatherby, or a gunsmith. Get a rem700... your options are practically unlimited straight off the shelf to your door in just a couple days.
Old December 24, 2022, 04:49 PM   #19
Scorch

There are a number of rifle makers who do not sell their actions. Weatherby, Winchester, Ruger, if you want to build a custom, you buy a rifle and then modify it. If you want to build a custom Weatherby rifle, you buy a Weatherby rifle and rebarrel it. There's no mystery to rebarreling Weatherby rifles, no timing of locking lugs, nothing special, they are easy to rebarrel.
Old December 27, 2022, 12:00 PM   #20
Nathan

Do they normally need trued up?
Old December 27, 2022, 01:59 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
why would they need that???
Old December 27, 2022, 05:29 PM   #22
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I have seen them anywhere in the range of perfect yo pure garbage. The answer to your question is "maybe".
Old December 27, 2022, 09:59 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Specific to the Mk V can you define "pure garbage"??

And, how did the "pure garbage" rifle(s) shoot????

Remember Weatherby is not making and selling match rifles, they are selling hunting rifles, and, unless they give you a written guarantee then the accuracy you should expect is "minute of" deer/elk/caribou/moose, or what ever other big game you're hunting. If it doesn't shoot that well, you have a valid gripe. If it does, or even shoots better than that, you don't.
Old December 28, 2022, 12:07 AM   #24
stagpanther

AFAIK--Mk 5's do have a written guarantee of being able to shoot MOA @ 100 yds with 3 shots of their factory ammo. I've never shot one that couldn't (unless the throat and bore had already been toasted).
Old December 28, 2022, 07:55 AM   #25
std7mag

The Mark V and even the Vangard have a 1 MOA written guarantee with factory ammo.

My Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby Magnum with or without the brake does this for 5 shots with my handloads. With 1 caveat. It doesn't like the 175gr ABLR.
I'm thinking the combination of the 1:10 twist and the 0.3" jump.

Shoots the 160gr Sierra SPBT GameKings just fine.
51 rounds down the tube thus far.

The first gen Vangard in 243Win i had would shoot the first 3 within 1 MOA at 100 yards.
Let it cool for an hour & next 3 were about 5 inches.
Repeat and get 12 inch "group".
Always repeated this no matter what i tried. Had someone else do the same. Changed scope ( i still have & use that scope with no issues).

Was the only rifle i was happy to get rid of!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...