The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 13, 2017, 06:36 AM   #1
One hole

Marlin model 1895 45-70 feeding issue

I think this rifle was made around 1975 I picked it up around 1982 and its never fed very smooth but it seems to be getting worse! its not lifting the cartridge up straight enough and it will damage the case if I don't roll the rifle to the left and slowly work the lever closed.
Cant help but think this is a design flaw because a don't see any worn parts.
If anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.
Old April 13, 2017, 07:53 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Sounds illogical, but try racking the lever with a bit more force and faster. Many lever guns act up when cycled slowly. I've seen guns that wouldn't feed very well and simply doing it a bit faster and using a bit more force corrected the problem immediately. Your gun was built when they were making their best quality guns. There are lots of them out there with the same design and they function perfectly, so that rules out design. Good luck.
Old April 13, 2017, 08:11 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I doubt if it's a design flaw

Marlin would have yanked it off the market or recalled it if it was a design flaw.

Without seeing it, I can't say. I know the lifter lifts only when the lever is pushed back up.

Are you using factory or handloaded ammunition?

When's the last time it was thoroughly disassembled and cleaned by a gunsmith?

Where are you at?
Old April 13, 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

It's not a design flaw.

It's just worn out, out of time, or, as stated by NoSecondBest, not being cycled fast enough. (Sounds a bit dumb, but it's very true that many factory lever guns need to be run fast and with authority, or they bobble.)

The 1895 (essentially a 336 with extra clearance in a few places) is not a very complicated design, but there are enough parts interacting with each other for action timing that someone with experience working on Marlins needs to take a look at it.

That, or roll the dice and send it to Marlington for repair, and hope that you get a working rifle back. (Remington's reputation for Marlin repairs is not good, and they often opt to send out inferior new models.)

All of the following have an effect on, or are affected by timing, and screwing with one can impact the others:
Lever (in six different ways).
Carrier (three different ways).
Carrier toggle (two different ways - three if you count spring weight).
Breech bolt.
Locking bolt.
And the receiver, itself.
Old April 13, 2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
It's just worn out, out of time, or, as stated by NoSecondBest, not being cycled fast enough.
I will guess it's out of time. I have seen a lot of Marlin 1895s that would not feed properly, and it's usually a timing issue.
Old April 14, 2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Minorcan

Sounds like it could be a lot of things but it may be easy to eliminate some. Are all the screws able to be loosened? Check and see. If one started out loose it could be an issue. I had a 1895 and the lifter screw was loose. Tightened it up and things started working again ... LOL

Check to see if the extractor is binding slowing things up, a few drops of oil will help. Unscrew the screw in the lever and remove it, the bolt will slide right out or it should. this will give you more room to look around. Good Luck
Old April 14, 2017, 03:33 PM   #7
g.willikers

When my Marlin acts up it's often the screw for the loading gate has loosened, and let the gate sag inward causing interference.
Old April 14, 2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Gunplummer

^^^
My guess too. Pretty common.
Old April 14, 2017, 07:33 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Usually a loose loading gate screw causes a jam, rather than minor feeding issues.
Plus... tilting the rifle on its left side should make the situation worse, rather than allowing feeding as the OP described.

I believe he's experiencing a carrier that's not lifting fully - likely caused by a bent carrier or worn/broken rocker.
Old April 15, 2017, 07:46 AM   #10
g.willikers

Well then, how about overall cartridge length being a possibility.
Too long of one causes havoc on mine sometimes.
Both reloads and factory rounds with enough of a longer bullet seem to result in hangups that can often be freed up by what is described:
By rolling the rifle to the left and wiggling back and forth to clear the round from the mag tube.
Just another thought.
Old April 15, 2017, 08:08 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I dislike trying to diagnose an issue without personally seeing the firearm. First there is a communication issue and in any of these threads we assume the person is asking the right question or making the right observation to report to us. Second, they could be withholding information that is crucial to the resolution (had that happen). Third, when the original asker of the question fails to respond to inquiries, why bother?
Old April 15, 2017, 08:19 AM   #12
g.willikers

Quite often the originator of a post isn't ignoring the replies, but rather is still there reading and digesting.
Discounting them because they aren't responding often might be premature.
Old April 15, 2017, 08:26 AM   #13
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I dislike trying to diagnose an issue without personally seeing the firearm. First there is a communication issue and in any of these threads we assume the person is asking the right question or making the right observation to report to us. Second, they could be withholding information that is crucial to the resolution (had that happen). Third, when the original asker of the question fails to respond to inquiries, why bother?
He's reading and trying to figure it out. It's not easy doing this on-line when you're trying to explain something and you're not technically versed or a gunsmith. The OP sent me a PM early on and my info didn't seem to help. I'm not offended and I hope he gets his problem resolved. Let's see how it goes.
Onehole: Let us know how this ends up regardless of where you get the answer. We can all learn something here. Good luck with it.