The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 18, 2001, 12:32 PM   #1
AndABeer

Just back from africa...

It was interesting and I'm glad I went but not sure I would go back. I found that the whitetail in TN are much more challenging and satisfying to hunt than the kudu, wildebeest or impala that I took in South frica. Is it because all the grunt work was done for me? Probably. Chalk up some more experience I suppose. When I get the film developed and can figure out how to post pics I'll put them on this thread.

The best part of the trip? My two year old son clinging to me for the next five hours after getting off the plane. He didn't forget me.

Happy to be home. God bless the US.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old June 18, 2001, 02:09 PM   #2
MP Freeman

Well......Tell us what you brought home. And what weapons you took.

Regards,
MP
Old June 18, 2001, 04:08 PM   #3
Dave R

We need more details...favorite shot? Favorite rifle? Favorite dinner?
Old June 18, 2001, 06:44 PM   #4
AndABeer

I havent brought anything home yet. The taxedermist is holding the skull and capes of a kudu, a wildebeest, and an impala that will be delivered in aboout 10 months. I took my Remmy 700 in .308, my Ruger #1 in .338, and my Winchester M70 in .416RM. I was told by the Professional Hunter that Americans always bring too much gun and that .308 was plenty for everything I was after. I had planned to take the impala with the .308, a gemsbock with the .338 and the kudu with the .416. On the trip from the airport I listened to them tell how tough wildebeest were so I decided to dump the gemsbock in favor of one of those. The PH said he'd never seen a wildebeest taken with one shot but my .338 dropped it just fine. As chance would have it, I used the .338 on impala as well. I took the kudu (ironically the biggest) with the .308. Favorite shot, the wildebeest. The PH said he at first wondered why both me and my partner were carrying single shots. After the first day and I had dropped two animals with two shots, he said he understood. Favorite shot, the wildebeest, 80 yards, quartering towards. Favortie rifle for the trip, the .338 (those Nosler paritions are incredible nasty). Favorite meal, stir fried eland over campfire coals.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old June 18, 2001, 10:35 PM   #5
biganimal

great going there andabeer !!!!!!Nothing I like better than hearing about or seeing someone using a singleshot, keep up the good work..
Old June 19, 2001, 08:50 AM   #6
Glamdring

Which bullet weight were you using in the 338? handload or factory?

What load(s) did you use in the 308?

Did the 416 see any use?
Old June 19, 2001, 10:04 AM   #7
AndABeer

The .338 load was a Federal Premium loading with a 210 gr. Nosler Partition.

My .308 load is a Hornaday Light Magnum 168 gr. BTHP. This load approaches .30-06 performance and is scary accurate in my 700.

The .416 saw no action what so ever. Disappointing as I bought the Beast solely for the purpose of this trip. Perhaps I can load it down and use it around here somehow. It is a pretty rifle.

Old June 19, 2001, 10:19 AM   #8
Dave R

Sure! Download that .416 to .45/70 levels and use it for plinking! You can see your bullet holes from 100 yards that way.

We're waiting patiently for pix.
Old June 19, 2001, 02:21 PM   #9
MP Freeman

So the PH said the .308 was plenty of gun for everything you were after? What kind of weight were the critters?

And we really need the pix.

Regards,
MP
Old June 19, 2001, 04:58 PM   #10
SnakeLover

I'll take the Mod 70 off your hands to use on my eland next spring!! Lightly shot, reduced price!! Just let me know when to pick it up!!

Hope the pictures find their way here soon.

Snake
Old June 20, 2001, 08:26 AM   #11
AndABeer

the kudu was 500 lbs or more

the wildebeest was prolly 400 lbs

the impala was maybe 200 lbs

hoping to post pix saturday, my partner was the main shutterbug but we are understandably sick of each other at the moment , hopefully we can exchange prints this weekend