The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 8, 2011, 02:32 AM   #1
K-Swift

New Aftermarket Marlin 60/70/795 Receiver - MCI Swordfish

Presenting the MCI Swordfish:

A Marlin 60/70/795 aftermarket receiver design.

Video of CAD model:

MCI Swordfish Receiver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PnANakpBP0

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-PnANakpBP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Style 1 -
  • Standard .22 dovetail scope groove
  • Anti-glare receiver top strap
  • Marlin pin and hole dimensions
  • Marlin bolt stop design
  • Marlin Pinned barrel design
  • Compatible with either tube or box magazine fed

Soon to come,

Style 2 -
  • Picatinny scope mount

Style 3 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
  • Threaded barrel recess

Style 4 -
  • Picatinny scope mount
  • Threaded barrel recess
  • Left hand ejection port & charging handle

Pricing: Highly cost prohibitive, unless you want a custom one-off, in which case we shall CNC one for you.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
K-Swift

Here's Style 2, this one has an integral M1913 Picatinny rail, like you see on some aftermarket 10/22 receivers:

CAD Video

Old May 9, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
K-Swift

And now,

Style 3

Same as Style 2, but eliminates the magazine tube slot and barrel pin, and replaces them with a 5/8 - 11 threaded barrel channel, for aftermarket barrels to be used.

I didn't want to shrink the barrel recess anymore, since its already fairly small, so I had to make this design a box magazine fed only variant, as the tube magazine placement would get too close to the barrel threads.

CAD Video of Style 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luKX7Cn48u0

Old May 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #4
K-Swift

Well everyone, thanks for all the ideas and feedback, if you like it let me know, if you think it won't float, let me know.

I'm humming right along since yesterday, finished up the bolt/charging handle/action sideplates/stock/ & barrel, so the mockup CAD model is starting to look like a rifle...

Hopefully by tomorrow I can blueprint the rest of the small parts...

I went with a benchrest style stock design, didn't worry about it too much, but I did take the time to copy the Marlin factory inletting, so this stock would be compatible with all other Marlin 70/700/7000/795 rifles, and stocks for those rifles would work on the MCI Swordfish.

Old May 18, 2011, 05:54 AM   #5
K-Swift

Alrighty, well after due consideration and listening to others much appreciated input (mostly from RFC and ARFCOM), I have come to a few conclusions:
  • The receiver is not a viable business opportunity, at least not at this time
  • Improved replacement stocks are a viable business opportunity, but Boyds is expected to fill that void soon by making the Marlin 60 Ross Thumbhole stock a regular item.
  • An extended magazine release is a viable product, which I am currently working on, with a rough concept shown below, it would be over twice the length of the miniscule factory magazine release tab.
  • A drop in trigger improvement would be great, but is currently inconceivable in how it could be compacted in about a .75 cubic inch space, in order to only replace the factory trigger and trigger guard, and give a mechanical advantage to the sear release bar.

Installation of this new mag release would involve action disassembly, removing the pin that holds the combined ejector bar/magazine release with the mag well, replacing the stamped metal part, and reassembling. Stay tuned for further development:

Old December 4, 2012, 08:13 AM   #6
chikkipanday

would like to buy one were can i order it from
Old December 6, 2012, 05:01 PM   #7
kahrguy

Better trigger group is needed more than a reciever!!
Old December 9, 2012, 07:10 AM   #8
FALPhil

Quote:
Alrighty, well after due consideration and listening to others much appreciated input (mostly from RFC and ARFCOM)...
While the comments from rimfirecentral.com are probably helpful, anything coming out or ar15.com should be taken with a grain of salt. The collective personality over at ar15.com is akin to a dormatory full of coeds without dates on a Friday night. The word "solipsism" comes to mind.

Having never much cared for the 10/22, I find you ideas around the Marlin receiver quite interesting.