The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
DucMon

Pre-Ban Lower Prices -- Should I do it?

I have offered to me two forged PWA lowers and one Olympic lower. They are fully built, but I will probably gut and rebuild later with better parts. The guy is asking $1500 a piece. I live in CT so I am assuming stuff here will be slightly higher, but I don't want to get robbed (if I can order one online for much less I will do that).

I was thinking to buy at least one of them anyway, but wanted to get some opinions first. I know these things used to sell for much less -- there is no doubt.

There will likely be some crazy changes to the laws here, so I would like to have at least one pre-ban to add to my collection (I really want to build a nice AR pistol with suppressor -- I cannot even have a suppressor without a pre-ban, let alone an SBR).

The governor was on CSPAN today saying he wants to ban all "assault weapons" and all "high capacity" magazines. They even want to disallow any types of grandfathering (although that might not fly). Either way, I will likely be moving back to Michigan or Arizona in a few years -- just need to last that long in this crazy state.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old February 25, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Mobuck

$1500 for a complete lower?
Old February 25, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3
hodaka

There is no real pre-ban anymore unless a ban is in the future then all AR's that exist are pre-ban relative to that. In any case, those prices seem extraordinarily high. No way would I pay $1500 for a lower that will sell in most places for $100 in a few months. Even if I had money to waste.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
TMD

$1500 for a $200 lower? Man I knew stuff was more expensive up north but thats beyond insane.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Justice06RR

Is that a typo... did you add too many zero's to $1500?

No such thing as pre-ban right now, probably only pre-panic pricing. That would be about $50-200 for a stripped lower, and around $300 for a complete.

Unless you're talking about a full-auto lower LOL
Old February 26, 2013, 05:53 AM   #6
TheNatureBoy

Its your call. I personally would not pay that much for it.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:35 AM   #7
kimbershot

folks don't realize that pre ban does exist and that ct is one of those states that does not allow the evil features on an ar unless it was built as a "rifle" before the 9/94 cutoff date. you have to make sure that the ar was a rifle and not a lower and that the rifle was on the approved list (essentially government speak for guns that they missed).

i had a bushmaster pre ban that i sold for 1500. about 3 yrs. ago while i lived in ct. moved to sc and bought a psa stripped lower for 50.00 and recreated my ar for less than 600. would i pay 1500. for a pwa or olympic lower? no thanks.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:41 PM   #8
DucMon

Kimbershot got it right. CT is a state that hates freedom -- and apparently we have all the crazies too (must be the Lyme Disease). I cannot have anything unless it is on pre-ban.

Anyway, I found one for half the price. It also has no paperwork for it at Armalite, so I can build it into an AR pistol. WooHoo!
Old February 27, 2013, 07:43 PM   #9
hodaka

Good for you! I had no idea that Connecticut was that primitive.