The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 7, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
KayNyne

Stupid Illinois again...

Okay! I am twenty years old. I live in "Ill-Annoy". Yesterday my father purchased a handgun that he is going to give me as a gift.(Sig sauer SP2022 and i am very excited!) But the man at the gun store said that a person under 21 is not allowed to own or be in possession of a handgun. I was always told that being under 21 only meant that you could not buy a gun from an FFL dealer. That you could own one, and that it was legal to buy one privately. The gentleman at the gun store also said that if i am caught driving with the gun(even to the range) that i would be in a lot of trouble(he did not specify)..

So my question is!
What exactly are Illinois laws on people under 21 and handguns? I have looked around a bit but cant find anything concrete..

Thanks all!
Old January 7, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
ming

First of all you need a FOID card. Here's the link to the ISP:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

and to the FOID rules:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...7&ChapAct=430&
Old January 7, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Stealthcarry

IANAL. And I've never met one in a gun shop, either.

Methinks the advise given there was worth every penny you paid for it.
Old January 7, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
KayNyne

Sorry! I forgot to add that i do have a FOID card.
Old January 7, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
brickeyee

Quote:
But the man at the gun store said that a person under 21 is not allowed to own or be in possession of a handgun.
IL state law.

Quote:
I was always told that being under 21 only meant that you could not buy a gun from an FFL dealer.
Federal law.

You have to obey both, and it appears that you must be 21 to have an IL FOID card or have your parents sign

Quote:
(430 ILCS 65/4) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑4)
(Text of Section from P.A. 97‑158)
Sec. 4. (a) Each applicant for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card must:
(1) Make application on blank forms prepared and

furnished at convenient locations throughout the State by the Department of State Police, or by electronic means, if and when made available by the Department of State Police; and
(2) Submit evidence to the Department of State Police

that:
(i) He or she is 21 years of age or over, or if

he or she is under 21 years of age that he or she has the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition and that he or she has never been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent, provided, however, that such parent or legal guardian is not an individual prohibited from having a Firearm Owner's Identification Card and files an affidavit with the Department as prescribed by the Department stating that he or she is not an individual prohibited from having a Card;
[emphasis added]

In your case, the more restrictive state law sets the bar.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:18 PM   #6
customaquatics

the 3 day waiting period for handguns has been in effect for a while now. im almost 23 an on my 21st birthday i had to wait 3 days too.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old January 7, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
C0untZer0

A baby can get a FOID card if his or her parents fill it out and sign - this is stipulated in the regs.

Quote:
The gentleman at the gun store also said that if i am caught driving with the gun(even to the range) that i would be in a lot of trouble(he did not specify)..
This depends. If you have it on you, or on a seat - yes you're going to be in trouble if you get caught. If you have it in the trunk of your car or otherwise locked up - no you won't be. There is some gray area over what consitutes being locked up - but an Indiana man won a case where his firearm was in the center console / arm rest of his car.

What kind of trouble will you get in if you're driving around with a firearm immediately accessible in the same cab area / compartment (not in a separate compartment?

It's spelled out here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...eqEnd=65800000

But basically the first time you will be charged with a Class A misdemeanor. But more importantly you will probably never be issued an Illinois CCW if we ever get CC. The second time you get caught with a firearm in the passenger compartment though it becomes a Class X felony.

It's not true you can't "have" a gun. There are plenty of youngsters all over Illinois who "have" guns. They shoot at 4H meets and NRA Junior competitions... But they don't walk around or drive around with their guns. The guns go from home to the range or from home to the field in the case of hunting usually in cases in the tunks or rear comparmtnets of their vehicles.

You have to read this stuff OK?

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

If you have some specific question on stuff that is not clear to you go to Illnois carry forum:

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 7, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old January 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
youngunz4life

I'd listen to first response, but either way it seems that since you can't buy it that your dad can't buy it for you(since you can't buy it).

as for going to the range as one example with your father and his guns and being able to handle/shoot them, possibly a different story

my 2cents and pretty much trying to make sense of it...the first response seems to have the meat and potatoes of it all.

all the best
Old January 7, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9
langenc

Stay out of IL, if you can!!

#1 Rule--If you cant then make a successful passage. A successful passage is where your shoe dont touch IL soil or pavement.

#2 Rule--Dont spend any $$-no gas, food and sure no lodging.

#3 Rule-email several major cities Visitor Bureaus and tell them the plan-and WHY!!

#4 Rule on the return trip do exactly as in 1-3 above..