The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 15, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Shaun

Rossi .357

I was looking for a new glovebox gun and settled on a smaller framed .357. I wanted something with more than 5rds so the J frames were out and after some looking, I had settled on the Taurus 617. Then....just as i am about to order the 617 i see this Rossi 461 under the glass. Fit my hand like a glove, is the perfect weight and balance, and its cheaper than the other guns i had considered for this endeavor. The question is: am i wasting my money on a gun this cheap, i mean im not looking for python smooth trigger pulls, i just dont want the gun to fall apart while i shoot 125grain loads out of it. Also i noticed its slightly bigger than my Colt Det. Special and it wont fit any of those holsters (i was packing the DickSpec at the shop and tried to put the rossi in, but it wouldnt fit) so will this gun fit into a 2" K-Frame holster? Thanks for any imput, i am planning on buying either this gun or the taurus next week.
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old May 15, 2007, 09:30 PM   #2
slow944

I had a Rossi 462 and it was a great gun. It was a little rough shooting FB 357's out of it but it will, I carried Gold Dot 158gr I think, it's been a while since I traded it to a hunting buddy for a CVA 50cal. BP rifle. Don't have to worry about scratching up the finish if you get the 462. I believe Taurus bought Rossi couple of years back. Nothing wrong with Rossi, just like you said don't expect a Colt, or S&W trigger on it.
Old May 16, 2007, 05:43 AM   #3
JKump

I just got the same gun for my wife for glove box duty. I posted here about 357 for mother's day. Taurus did buy out Rossi. You will find that the Rossi has the same lifetime warrenty as Taurus and the same hammer lock on it. I have heard good things on this Rossi, a friend has one and has had no complainants. This revolver has a good feel to it, it also fits my wife's hand well. I loaded her's with Speer 135 gr. GDHP +P (the rounds designed for snub revolvers).

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old May 16, 2007, 07:19 AM   #4
dogngun

I bought an older stainless .357mag Rossi to teach my wife to shoot and for a house gun. It was a very good gun for the money, accurate,good feel, never failed.
Sold it, and now wish I'd kept it.

Mark
Old May 22, 2007, 09:51 PM   #5
lkniz

Under Rated Rossi 2" Snubby

Bought a 461 (blued) last month and have put about 400 rounds though it. Planned for home defense and now thinking CCW.Now can hit orange chest area 8 out of 10 at 15 feet(other two body hits). Gun feels great and is very underrated. Just wish I could get laser grips for Rossi.Highly recommend.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Dorro

In 2005 I bought a Rossi M461.
Since the start it was a lemon. That little piece of garbage was spiting lead like a tropical shower.
I sent to repair twice [lifetime warranty] and both times came in the same way. I did not pay for the ‘repair’ but had to pay the shipping.
Last time I called they told that maybe I was using reload ammunition with no industry standards.
Bull S………………….
I always used Winchester .38SPL 130Gr FMJ for training and at the end of the section tried to use Federal Premium 38 SPL +P 129Gr HS JHP. 6 shots were enough for my face became red with the little burns.
Never used with 357Mag (its original cartridge). I do not want my face with MORE red dots from burns using more powerful loads.
I NEVER had these problems with S&W or Ruger.

Good Luck
Dorro
Old May 24, 2007, 12:26 PM   #7
loosecannon

I never had a bit of trouble with my Rossi I have found them and the Tarus to be great guns for the money.
Old May 24, 2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Slideman

My wife's first gun was a Rossi .357 snubby. I picked the caliber, she picked the gun out of everything she handled at a gun show.

Dazzling. That gun shoots with an accuracy I can hardly believe out of a snubby. I have trained several newbies and always start off shooting a cylinder-full at a silhouette from 50' before I start them shooting one-at-a-time. All lethal.

Fit, trigger, comfort, reliability, accuracy .. I don't know what else I might want (but a S&W 629 is on my short list of gotta haves)
Old May 26, 2007, 10:40 AM   #9
gak

You'll also find it's within a hair of the original "holy grail" (Colt Det. Sp.) snubby size - a bit more metal/beefier in the frame just ahead of the cylinder/under the barrel line - as might befit a .357 anyway - and just a skosh wider cylinder. I had the rare chance to A-B these two guns at a store which also had a nice full-lug DS handy and the top (plan) and side view comparison was amazing as was the general fit and feel. Despite the added beef, even the weights seemed pretty darn close too--with the heavier edge toward the Rossi naturally...but that might have just been power of suggestion playing in the brain.

The DS was called a "D" frame by Colt, the Rossi is sort of a J-1/2 in S&W parlance. To my knowledge, Rossi is the first one (amazingly) to offer a 6 shot small frame since the DS--and it's a .357 to boot. I think they're onto something. In this small a frame (and being a snubby in the first place), I'd probably just shoot mostly .38s in it anyway most of the time, but nice to know you can shoot the magnums. I had an older (pre Taurus) 971 (appx K frame) stainless 4" .357 and really liked it til I lost it in a freak hunting trek/incident.
Old May 28, 2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Revelu

waiting for my Rossi 462

This little old grandma just ordered a Rossi 462, can't wait! Now to find the perfect concealed carry holster-- any suggestions?
Old May 29, 2007, 06:45 PM   #11
Shaun

i just picked up a Don Hume IWB holster for my 2" rossi, it fits both my Colt DS and this gun. i like the Don Humes, and use them for my Kimber and HK USPc as well. Not to pricey either.
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old May 18, 2010, 09:07 AM   #12
wyncrtr11

Laser Grips For Rossi MODEL R46102 .357 MAGNUM 2" BARREL

Where can I find and purchase a laser grip for my Rossie MODEL R46102 .357 MAGNUM 2" BARREL?
Old May 18, 2010, 09:12 AM   #13
jaughtman

I had one....

back in the mid-90's and while it was a decent carry gun and never malfunctioned, I could not get it to group worth a hoot!

Jamie
Old May 18, 2010, 10:30 AM   #14
nefprotector

Shaun, I have owned my Rossi .357 mag snubby for 15 years. I shoot it weekly. There is no telling how many rounds that I have through this gun. 15 years, fires it weekly. WOW! That's more than enough to prove to me; if this one ever goes out on me I WOULD buy another.

ps
My local gun dealer can have any gun in his shop. Guess what he carries? A Rossi! =-)

Last edited by nefprotector; May 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Qwiks draw

I own a Rossi 462 and it's a neat six shooter. I like it better than most of my other snub revolvers.

I shoot either 125 gr. "magnum lite" loads through it, but mostly .38 Special +P loads. Mostly 158gr. LSWCHP ammo. Remington works best for me.

If you need a non+P load www.buffalobore.com has three types of those.

Want a little bit less expensive alternative? Then Federal Nyclad 125gr. rounds work well also.

http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-1926...nyclad-hp.aspx

I bought a case from another source, but it's great as self defense round that started out life as practice round only.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:05 PM   #16
Straightshooter629

My daily carry, and my fishing/woods gun is a Rossi 462(same as the 461 except SS) that has fired around 1500 rounds of varied .357 and.38 loads without a problem, and I wouldn't trade it for all of the Rugers and S&W's in the world. I picked up a model H-721 Don Hume belt slide at a gun show a few yeras ago that it fits great. I believe it's made for a 3" S&W J-frame, but it's a great holster. I think you'll be happy with your choice. You are going to hear some haters that will flame the Rossi's, but I known guys with high-end Smith's to have problems. I haven't had a single problem with my 462.

Last edited by Straightshooter629; May 19, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add text
Old May 19, 2010, 06:37 PM   #17
T B Good

My wife has had a Rossi for 25 years, never a problem, no misfires.
She is so confident with it that when we had an intruder she did not get my S&W 357, she grabbed her Rossi.
The prep knew she was serious and told the arresting officer that she looked like she would kill him, because she knew what she was doing.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:37 PM   #18
jaughtman

That is awesome....

Quote:
She is so confident with it that when we had an intruder she did not get my S&W 357, she grabbed her Rossi.
The prep knew she was serious and told the arresting officer that she looked like she would kill him, because she knew what she was doing.
Did you get a chance to smack him around after he surrendered?