The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2010, 06:03 AM   #1
alloy

Speer #4628 .38/.357 lead bullets

Have been using these for some loads in .38 special. Like the price my local shop gets them to me for, and like the lube, they are very easy to load and shoot great with 4.4 grains of unversal clays.

Don't know the hardness, but they have worked well with no leading(at least I don't think it's a problem)...question is...can I push these to higher magnum velocities, 1200-1300 without a leading issue or should I leave them for lower velo .38 special loads?

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...il.aspx?id=224
Old March 27, 2010, 07:28 AM   #2
ligonierbill

Those are swaged bullets, very soft. I have loaded them to just under 1,000 fps with no problem, but common wisdom says they will lead your barrel if you go much higher. There are lots of cast bullets available that are lead alloy and much harder. For example, Oregon Trail hard cast work fine at 1,260 fps in my .45 LC. I do like those Speer SWC HP, though. Cheap, accurate, and many would say the most effective for .38 Special.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:49 AM   #3
GP100man

+1 , there swaged & unable to grab the rifleing at faster speeds !

There`s some good bullets avaiable from Missouri Bullet Company.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
alloy

Quote:
I do like those Speer SWC HP, though. Cheap, accurate, and many would say the most effective for .38 Special
Yes, and $42 out the door per 500 no shipping has made them one of my favorites.

Quote:
swaged & unable to grab the rifleing at faster speeds !
There`s some good bullets avaiable from Missouri Bullet Company.
Reason for the thread right there, friend. 10 points for the mind reader.