The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 29, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
shortwave

Furthest you`ve ever tracked a deer with both lungs and heart shot out?

After reading an article in the Cols., Ohio Dispatch newspaper titled 'Local bowhunter takes mammoth buck', the details of his event got me wondering. The details included: shot Sept. 30th by Steve Eskers, Eskers films hunts and sends them to hunting show, deer field dressed @255lbs.,green scored 216 gross with a score of 208 after deductions, shot with a Parker Tornado crossbow(didn`t say what broadhead). The weather was warm and he couldn`t find deer and eventually hired a guy with a helicoter to find deer. Deer was 165yds. from where he had shot it. Esker`s stated the bolt had passed through both lungs and heart. Soooo, my question is, 'whats the farthest you`ve ever had to trail a deer with both lungs and heart shot out'? My furthest would be about 70 yds. and that was with a 12ga Rem. slugger that wouldn`t do as much damage as a broadhead. Just hard for me to believe this deer went almost two football fields with no air.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
sc928porsche

both lungs and 3 rib bones......0 feet.
Hear destroyed.......10 feet.

Of course this is with a rifle and not a bow.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
williamd

I have not found it unusual for deer - I hunt mostly whitetail - to sprint 50 to 75 yards after a shot through the chest that takes out lungs and heart. Always considered it a nerve reaction as much as anything. Even counted on it at a river crossing one time but an angling shot broke right shoulder and I had a deer in 2 feet of water in 20 degree weather! I had decided that the expected run would get it out of the river and onto a gravel bar making my job easier!! Wrong! Was clean and cool by the time I got it out, however.
Old November 29, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
JKump

Around a 110 yards. She dropped after jumping a creek. I hit her with a 243 Hornady light mag. 100 grain bullet. I shot the Doe at around 30 yards. When I found her, she had a piece of lung hanging out of the exit wound.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old November 29, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
simonkenton

120 yards, lungs out and heart destroyed by a 180 grain Remington CoreLokt from a 30-06.
How a deer can do that I don't know, I know if I took a shot like that I would lay down and die like I was supposed to do.

shortwave I am sending that tomorrow, I got stuck out of town for a week.
Old November 29, 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Countertop

about 100 yards.

As williammd stated, it seems to be mostly a nerve reaction. I've blown both out, creating a bloody mess and still had to track down the deer. That is fairly consistent.
Old November 29, 2009, 06:58 PM   #7
fisherman66

70-80 yard. Tough little doe. I hope along with her meat I consumed her spirit.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

High heart/low lungs, DRT. Heart only, maybe 50 yards after a down-and-up.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:44 AM   #9
bamaranger

bow vs rifle

Big diff guys between deer reaction to gunshot/bullet wound and arrow /broadhead. I've actually shot a deer w/ a bow and had her get another bite to eat before she keeled over! (lungs- liver). Also killed deer that took a bounce (15 ft or so) after arrow stirke (double lung) and stood for 5 secs or so before tipping over. I've also seen several run and lay down in sight, w/ liver lung hits. (under 100 yds) and expire shortly.

Heart shot deer, w/ arrow seem to high kick and run madly away.

I think the sound/blast of a firearm is what causes deer to bolt w/ many gun kills. With those big ears, muzzle blast has got to be incredible inside 100 yds or so.

To answer post, I had a heart shot 2 1/2 year old 7pt run 125 yds after being wacked by .270 at close range. This was a low hit that exploded the heart but did little damage to lungs.

I had a similar sized buck go 200 + after a good heart, single lung hit, (bow) but the deer saw me at moment of release and was "amped" .
Old November 30, 2009, 02:16 AM   #10
HiBC

If the nervous system is still intact,and major trauma has not compromised the mechanics of the muscular/skeletal system,perhaps the will can keep driving so long as there is sufficient oxygen/glucose lingering in the brain and muscles.
Just a guess.
Old November 30, 2009, 11:57 AM   #11
davlandrum

Wow, 165 yards and he had to hire a helicopter...:barf:

My buddy took a mule deer with his 7mm Rem Mag this season that went close to 200 yards. We were amazed because the blood trail was HUGE. It was blowing blood out both sides and it was like a red highway...

And while 200 yds is a lot more than DRT, it is still only 2 football fields...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 30, 2009, 12:36 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

More easily measured in feet rather than yards
I didn't know they stored enuff oxygen to go more than 20 or 30 yards... Now that I know, I bet my next one will give me a workout
Brent
Old November 30, 2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've rarely hit all three. A couple times, but not many. Mostly it's double lung.

About 3 years ago I hit a doe through both lungs and severed the aorta with a 12ga slug, she went about 100 yards. I've hit several deer with an arrow through both lungs. Frankly, they go farther with a gun hit usually. Most of my good bow hits have gone 30-50 yards, one went 150 or so but he did it on a FULL run, literally until the instant he died.

The VAST majority, gun or bow, with any combination of lung/heart hit go less than 50 yards in my experience.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:51 PM   #14
Buzzcook

20yds
Old November 30, 2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Gbro

davlandrum, I agree! :barf::barf::barf:
The story is sickening.
Shortwave,
Quote:
My furthest would be about 70 yds. and that was with a 12ga Rem. slugger that wouldn`t do as much damage as a broadhead.
I don't know how one can say that an arrow/bolt would do more damage than a 12 Ga slug? I believe a 12ga slug is a very wicked instrument, only outdone by a 50bmg in slug range that is. JMHO

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...1_GPFLTDU.html
Old November 30, 2009, 02:05 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know how one can say that an arrow/bolt would do more damage than a 12 Ga slug? I believe a 12ga slug is a very wicked instrument, only outdone by a 50bmg in slug range that is. JMHO
I don't know if it will "do more damage", but it's just as effective. More so in many cases.
Old November 30, 2009, 02:48 PM   #17
shortwave

On a broadside shot using Rem. Sluggers there`s very little expansion cause your not hitting hard enough bone to really expand bullet. I can say the two bladed expandables I use do more damage with this shot as they open up 1 1/2". The wound channel is massive compared to a 5/8" hole of a unexpanded 12 ga. slug. At any rate, its just hard to believe a deer running 165yds. with both lungs shot out. I`ve trailed deer this far with one lung shot and the heart shot, but never both lungs and heart. Also remembering it was very hot that weekend, you would think the high temperature would more rapidly exhaust oxygen in the blood. Good thing it wasn`t cold,deer would have run to Columbus.
Old November 30, 2009, 04:13 PM   #18
MTT TL

Tracked? I have never lost sight of deer that badly damaged.
Old November 30, 2009, 04:19 PM   #19
219er

I think less than 30-50 yards and as a few have said, usually it is within sight, so therefore not much tracking involved. If the terrain was rough or thick with cover, they might get out of sight, but not my too much. Jim
Old November 30, 2009, 04:27 PM   #20
jakec2789

depends on the weight, speed of the arrow, and broadhead. I shot a doe with a mechanical and it never opened, thus ensued a 400 yd track. that was a double lung shot. I shot another one with a muzzy (chisel point) and it went about 70 yards. the new broadheads i'm shooting, (cut on contact, the look like a bent razor blade) the only deer i have taken with it didn't even know it was hit. he kept grazing for about 15 seconds before he fell over.
Old November 30, 2009, 05:32 PM   #21
James R. Burke

I am only hunting with a rilfe. The farthest was about 35yards. It is hard to believe they can go that far. I would not believe it unless I seen it, and I have on a few occasoions. Its just must be nerve thing or that kick it in high gear and run, before things stop working.
Old November 30, 2009, 06:14 PM   #22
ZeroJunk

It's not unusual, perhaps even more likely, that a deer will run 50 to 100 yards until whatever energy they have stored in their cells is gone.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:54 PM   #23
hardluk1

Heart/lung shots with either BT's or SST no more than 20feet typicaly the deer will be in its tracts where shot. Bow ?? longest 120 yards. But mostly under 50 yards. BP and Slugs. Closer to 100yards or less with no real great short average.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:57 PM   #24
Westcoaster

With the exception of one head shot 30 odd years ago all of my deer have had boiler room shots. All of these have been with a 3006 or a 338.

The furthest one got was a 2 point meat buck two or three years ago. Good clean double lung shot at about 50 yards with my 338.

He jumped straight up in the air and bounded off - for about 30 feet. He left an enormous blood trail and was pretty much bled out for me.
Old December 1, 2009, 02:40 AM   #25
bamaranger

good comment

Peetza
You're on target w/ the "rarely hit all 3" comment. I sensed it, but could not get it into words. The heart sits so far forward and low, etc.....

The slug vs. broadhead discussion caught my eye also. Different wounding effect entirely. What few deer I've killed w/ slugs, have all been dispatching road cripples , back when we carried rather anemic .38 revolvers and the deer was still mobile to a degree that a handgun hit was problematic. Slug at under 20 yds was absolutely devastating. Actually expanded some too, and some did not exit and I recovered them, half dollar sized, on the off side.

Slug and broad head are both very lethal when applied correctly, but entirely different wounding effect.