The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 7, 2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Kyo

night at the movies

I posted this on THR.org but wanted opinions on here as well. This is Friday night/saturday morning at 2 am.

I went to see dance flick at midnight tonight with someone. When we came out of the side door at about 1:50 AM, we started walking towards my car, which is 4-5 lanes up from the main entrance, but right in front. As we are walking, some guy starts slowly walking towards us and then he says "Hey whats going on" like he knew us. He's interviewing us 10 seconds after we walked out. I noticed him from the start and kept staring at him as he kept getting closer. I switched positions with the girl as we got closer to the car.
I drive a Honda Civic. This is relevant because a civic alarm just like mine went off as the guy started walking towards us. I believe this was his friend in the background about 50 feet trying to cause a distraction. Well, it didn't work and I kept staring and moving. The thing that tipped me off was that the guy didn't even turn around for the alarm, and didn't look surprised, or didn't flinch. So I believe he was expecting it.
I am not sure what I did but at about 15 feet he just stopped. Maybe it was because I was staring at him, or maybe cause I was wearing a AK-78 russian shirt, or whatever, but he literally stopped in his tracks and watched as I opened the passenger door and then went around front to my side to leave. I confirmed I wasn't crazy with said passenger by asking if I was crazy or if that guy was casing us.
In the rear view I saw him go to his friend and stand around again.
So, in the five stages, this person was attempting to position for an attack in my view and stopped because he didn't like the risk for some reason.
Love my permit, love my gun. Didn't even have to reach for it. woot for scary faces. Thank GOD I didn't have to use it.
Old June 7, 2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Reidman

situational awareness

Being aware of your surroundings is one of the first rules of concealed carry. It sounds like you did everything right. You were aware of what was going on. You stayed calm. You made a defensive move to keep your friend on your weak side in case it got bad. But above all you didn't look like a victim.

I know the type you're talking about. "Hey man lemme just talk to you." Maybe he just wanted to trouble you for a few dollars and maybe he wanted your wallet. People who spend their lives living in such a way learn who is hunter and who is prey. That night you did not look like prey. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Stay smart and stay safe.
Old June 7, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Tucker 1371

+1 on what Reidman says.

The degree of premeditation in that is quite alarming.

PS: Did you mean AK74? I tried googling AK78 and could not find it.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old June 7, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Keltyke

Quote:
know the type you're talking about. "Hey man lemme just talk to you." Maybe he just wanted to trouble you for a few dollars and maybe he wanted your wallet. People who spend their lives living in such a way learn who is hunter and who is prey. That night you did not look like prey. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Stay smart and stay safe.
You hit the nail on the head, "Reidman". If the guy had dropped his guard for an instant, the guy would have made his move.
Old June 7, 2009, 03:14 PM   #5
onthejon55

Going to late movies is always risky. I've had more run ins with sketchy people from 10-1 at movie theaters than anywhere else in my hometown. Not saying you should avoid them but rather you should keep your guard up. Good Job!
Old June 7, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
sakeneko

D*mn.... Until I got married only a couple of years ago, I've spent my entire adult life (into my mid-40s) as a single woman. Although I took (and take) no foolish risks, I've also never been willing to allow fear of crooks to keep me from going out at night, so I've faced a few situations like this.

Any stranger that approaches late at night boldly and without showing any concern that you might feel threatened is almost certainly up to no good.

You handled this well, I think, and not unlike how I've handled similar situations, although I'm not a night owl and rarely would be out quite that late.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Keltyke

Quote:
Going to late movies is always risky. I've had more run ins with sketchy people from 10-1 at movie theaters than anywhere else in my hometown. Not saying you should avoid them but rather you should keep your guard up. Good Job!
No honest citizen should be forced to avoid a place that decent people go to just because some toad-brained sociopath wants an easy ride. It's about damn time the decent citizens stand up and show these low-lifes that it ain't gonna be easy. I ain't gonna give it to you, you gotta take it from me and "my little friend". I'm tired of it being the criminal's way all the time. We're gonna take back what's ours.
Old June 7, 2009, 04:59 PM   #8
txbirddog

Quote:
No honest citizen should be forced to avoid a place that decent people go to just because some toad-brained sociopath wants an easy ride. It's about damn time the decent citizens stand up and show these low-lifes that it ain't gonna be easy. I ain't gonna give it to you, you gotta take it from me and "my little friend". I'm tired of it being the criminal's way all the time. We're gonna take back what's ours.
Yep, exactly!!
Old June 7, 2009, 05:20 PM   #9
djohn

That is key to be aware of your surroundings and not walking around in the clouds.You Covered the bases very well and not taking your eyes off the subject and Making direct eye contact and stir him down is a good thing. Always trust your gut or instincts.God gave us that little voice that tells us when something is not right that gut wrenching feeling dont ignore them,I have never beeen wrong about mine.It is amazing what body language can do some times to deter a situation.Great job by the way.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:16 AM   #10
Kyo

yea probably 74, shirt's in the laundry. my bad.
Old June 8, 2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Beentown71

Two threads, same story, different OP's

Beentown
Old June 9, 2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Kyo

Yea idk who that was, but im the OP...
Old June 9, 2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I went to see dance flick at midnight tonight with someone. When we came out of the side door at about 1:50 AM, we started walking towards my car, which is 4-5 lanes up from the main entrance, but right in front.
Quote:
Love my permit, love my gun. Didn't even have to reach for it. Thank GOD I didn't have to use it.
These 2 statements can never be together legally in Michigan, unless you run all the way to your car to retrieve your weapon. Can't carry into movie theatres, if they sit more than 2500 people, and what multi-plex cinema doesn't nowadays?
Old June 9, 2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
if they sit more than 2500 people, and what multi-plex cinema doesn't nowadays?
Seriously? Dang! I've never seen a theatre that seats more than like 500 people, ever. You people grow 'em big out there.
Old June 9, 2009, 02:54 PM   #15
Wildalaska

Quote:
Sounds like a pharmacist in OK City

WildenoughofthebronsoningAlaska ™
Old June 9, 2009, 03:08 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

I love the smell of posturing on the Internet.

So you go to a risky place with an almost explict expectation that you can use your 'little' friend?

I've told the family that we don't go into the ice cream store just at closing because Dad doesn't need to have a shoot-out.
Old June 9, 2009, 03:10 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Quote:
I posted this on THR.org but wanted opinions on here as well.
Tell us how you would have handled the situation if you were unarmed?

WildimtrulyinterestedAlaska ™
Old June 9, 2009, 03:19 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Tell us how you would have handled the situation if you were unarmed?
I am never unarmed! I a black belt in screamlikeagirlajitsu...
They now call me the "anti-posture"!

Brent
Old June 9, 2009, 03:30 PM   #19
Ian0351

How would I handle this situation unarmed? Except for a smallish folding knife I am usually unarmed; I got along just fine for years without my CWP and now I only carry if I am going somewhere I deem 'dangerous' (i.e. Tacoma or rural Tweakerville). I would have simply made it obvious that I'm not a chump. Flare the chest, swagger a little and step into a defensive posture in regards to the lady. I find that these d-bags usually want it easy, and If it don't look easy they'll wait it out. When I lived in CA I used to flash 'em the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on my arm... but not many people here recognize it enough for deterrent value. Also, acting like you're reaching for a weapon can be effective at least in gauging a reaction... but it can get you into trouble too. A well placed "f off dude" at the beginning of the verbal interchange can also give you a better idea of the guys motivations.

Semper Fidelis
Old June 9, 2009, 03:57 PM   #20
Kyo

Glen I didn't go to a late movie because I felt like shooting someone if thats what you are asking. I went because the crowd is small, its less noisy, and more seating choices. Also, because I was keeping a promise to see the movie that day.
How would I have handled the situation unarmed? Well, I guess the same way except I would have given the keys to the girl discretely, spoken some few words in a language that the guy wouldn't understand like "Get in the car, lock the windows and call the cops if this guy wants a fight"
and then keep doing the same thing. I am going to assume that because he was trying to close the distance gap that he wasn't armed or he would have pulled out already to rob me. Then also I would have to control 2 people instead of one as the second guy closes in. It isn't fun to do because as much as I can break their face I can also break my hand.
There are lots of things I could do at that point if he closed distance. A pocket knife, my belt with the pewter buckle on it, anything within my reach. Idk, im not worried about it, cause it didn't happen that way and I was armed instead of not
Old June 9, 2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

Kyo - the 'little friend comment' was for a later post, not your OP.
Old June 9, 2009, 04:43 PM   #22
KingEdward

not much good happens after midnight.

grandmas are pretty smart.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:19 PM   #23
wickedrider

Kyo, first of all great job. My belief is that though you may not have been aware of it, you saw or felt the second guy before the car alarm went off. =

I am not familiar with your theater by any means. I don't know what four or five lanes down means, the lighting, etc. My question to anyone is in a similar situation, what would the situation have been if the people had stopped walking when the first BG tried to engage them in conversation, understanding that armed one would position him or herself between the BG and the companion.
Old June 9, 2009, 06:33 PM   #24
spacemanspiff

Quote:
As we are walking, some guy starts slowly walking towards us and then he says "Hey whats going on" like he knew us. He's interviewing us 10 seconds after we walked out. I noticed him from the start and kept staring at him as he kept getting closer. I switched positions with the girl as we got closer to the car.
Quote:
I am never unarmed! I a black belt in screamlikeagirlajitsu
Pfffffffttt!!! Ya'll are so untactical. A situation like this is where a fat ninja like me deploys all the skills and training that a Pink Belt Flamboyitsu like myself has.
You should have swung your hips and strutted up to him saying 'Dahhling, isn't this a mahvvelous night? Sweetie, do you have a light for me? I am positively dyyying for a smoke after 2 hours in a stuffy theater! My how handsome and strong you are! I must have your number!'

Everyone knows that bad guys run away from pre-op transgenders, duhhh!
Old June 9, 2009, 08:13 PM   #25
Tucker 1371

Good job, well handled Kyo. I think one should be able to go to the movies if they feel like it so the whole "just don't go bad places" or "you were looking for a fight" argument is inapplicable in your particular case.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe