The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 13, 2009, 02:43 AM   #1
thug23

Glock 17 OR Glock 34 ???

I have asked a few questions in the past about IDPA shooting as I'm interested in starting this new competition shooting soon. I currently own a Glock 19 and have been told that it will do just fine in this type of shooting but I have been reading tons of posts here and other sites and see the majority of shooters own either the G17 of G34. Can you guys give me your thoughts and advice on why these two are better or more desirable than mine and if I should look to step up to one of them.
Thank you for your help.
Old January 13, 2009, 06:42 AM   #2
SV_shooter

the extra inch of sight picture and negligable felt recoil is what you get out of a G17, a 34 gives you a slightly lighter trigger and the big slot milled out of the top reduces overall weight some. I have a 35 and shoot production USPSA and throw a magwell on it to shoot major power factor in limited division with bigger mags and extended basepads. I threw a Dawson adjustable rr and fiber optic front sights, stormlake stainless bbl, lonewolf 3.5 disconnect, drilled a hole further back on the trigger bar dropping my trigger weight to 2.5lbs w less than 1/4" pretravel & virtually no reset, and suddenly had a plastic gun that I found as accurate, and great shooting gun than ANY other safe action gun I have ever shot.. Most these mods aren't IDPA legal, but some are and highly recommended.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:13 PM   #3
kevinm

SV Shooter can you show a pic of where you drilled the hole? thanks
Old January 14, 2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Amen

Your G19 will do just fine. You may gain some accuracy with a longer sight radius, but most stages I shoot are far to close for this to be a factor. Besides, if you practice a perfect sight-picture, your shots will go where they are supposed to. Also the 19 has a shorter, lighter slide which means less recoil.

If you feel that you absolutly have to have another excuse to buy a gun(we all do it) the G34 would be a good option so that you can shoot USPSA as well. But try the game with your G19 for a good long while before dropping a ton of money on a new gun. It will take you awhile to shoot your gun as well as your gun can shoot.