The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 22, 2000, 06:29 PM   #1
faiello5

Hi have a McCormick 8 round Shooting Star mag that I just broke. It has the welded baseplate. To clean it, I use my nylon brush to push down on the follower to compress the spring. I then put my punch through the witness holes to hold the follower down while I clean the inside of the mag. When I eased up on the brush to raise the follower (after cleaning and removing the punch) the brush slipped and the spring came out of the top of the mag while the follower stayed in the mag.

I pulled the spring out and removed the follower. The spring is now bent and useless. Can I purchase a new spring and re-install it with the follower or is the mag destined for the trash can? If I can fix it, how? Any tricks I should know? Thanks.

Frank

Old January 22, 2000, 07:57 PM   #2
Jim V

Frank, Brownells http://www.brownells.com has Wolff magazine replacement springs. It is not be difficult to replace the mangled spring with a new one. If you did not damage the magazine lips, it should be good to go with a replaced spring.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"