The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 16, 2000, 01:07 PM   #1
mackie

Has anybody used these with sucess on game such as deer, elk, and black and brown bear?
Old June 16, 2000, 02:06 PM   #2
CapeFear

I have used these on 175 lb whitetail deer with great results, but I will never use them on anything larger than that again. I shot two wild hogs in SC with them out of a 30-06 and the bullets did not hang together long enough to get the job done cleanly. Cheap Remington core-locs on the next trip did the job with ease.

[This message has been edited by CapeFear (edited June 16, 2000).]
Old June 16, 2000, 03:05 PM   #3
DOCSpanky

Those "cheap" Remington core lokt's are a fine hunting cartridge. Pound for pound I'd bet they took more game around here last year than all others combined.
Incidentally, I'm a Winchester fan myself, but If they don't cancel it, I will be taking them on my pig hunt thisyear!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!
Old June 16, 2000, 04:28 PM   #4
Paul B.

My experience with Sierra bullets is as follows. 150 gr. SPFB. Used on deer in 30-06 and .308. Worked well, but a bit more destructive on eating meat than I care for.
180 gr. RN. Worked well on short range heavy cover deer hunting in the .308 Win. 180 Gr SPFB. My choice for deer in the 30-06. 165 gr. HPBT. Pass. a 200 plus yard shot on a coyote gave me a 2 piece coyote. Way too destructive. This from a 30-06. All bullets mentioned were very accurate.
My final choices? 180 gr. Sierra SPFB in the 30-06 and the 165 Gr. Speer SPFB in the .308. These are for deer hunting.
Paul B.
Old June 16, 2000, 05:14 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

(All weights are field-dressed animals.) I've used Sierra Game Kings for years. I've had excellent accuracy with 150-grain and 165-grain, both flat based and boat tail.

I shot a 90- or 100-lb antelope quartering through the chest; bullet exited with a 1" hole; 100 yards. I shot a 150-lb mule deer in the neck at 30 yards; the bullet didn't exit. I shot a 125-lb mule deer at 90 yards, in the body; no exit. Several 90-lb to 110-lb whitetail at various ranges; all bullets exited with 1" to 2" exit wounds.

Definitely, do NOT hit a shoulder or a ham!

One unheralded bullet I've used is the Remington 150-grain Bronze Point in my '06. I shot one 110-lb whitetail at 350 yards; the bullet hit a rib on the way in and a rib on the way out. 3" exit wound; the deer dropped in his tracks.

I think the 150-grain Hornadys might stay together a bit better than the Sierra, but I'm not gonna get arbitrary about it.

Since most of my deer were hit in either the neck or the heart, the issue of damaging meat hasn't been much of a factor.

I guess the only meat ruination was shooting a small whitetail in the neck. I thought it was a broadside shot; he was in brush, and looking back. The bullet went through his neck and into the point of his hip and out through the ham. Ten pounds of dogfood...

FWIW, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited June 16, 2000).]
Old June 16, 2000, 10:36 PM   #6
MAD DOG

I love the 165 grain BTSP .30 caliber Sierra Gamekings above all other .30 cal hunting bullets.
Accurate, great expansion, and accurate.
The lead in the nose is hard enough that it doesn't mush down easily under recoil in the magazine like the Noslers tend to.
I have shot hogs, javelinas, deer, elk, coyotes, antelope, goats, things unmentionable, and bears with them.
They work.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:52 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

My buddy & I both use the Sierra Game King 180s loaded in the Federal Premium '06. I started handloading 'em last fall.

We've taken at least eight elk with this bullet - would have to do the math to be certain, but ...

I shot one through both shoulders at about 20 yards - full exit & bullet seemed to hold together. Coupla others had the bullets exit off-side on broadside shots, some stooped on the far side right up against the skin. Have yet to see one shed its core.

Very accurate as well.
Old July 9, 2001, 10:43 PM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I've used the 165 game king spitzer boat tail for years. I've only seen one recovered bullet with any jacket seperation and it was the older version of the bullet. The bullets have a good uniform expansion and wieght retention.

If you buy factory federal premium ammo this is the bullet they load it with. Its good stuff.
Old July 11, 2001, 07:11 AM   #9
Kingcreek

I've used the 165 gameking bullet in 308 with good results and fairly consistant with Art's report.
I experimented with these in 300mag with outstanding accuracy on paper and catastrophic bullet failure on game. Like dynamite on impact.
My opinion, these are somewhat velocity sensitive- great if speeds are moderate.
(I switched to nosler)
Old July 11, 2001, 10:37 AM   #10
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Too, Kingcreek, matching the bullet construction with velocity, as Sierra mentions in their book, will give desired performance.

For the .30 cal mag velocities, I'd think the 180 or even 200 gr would be a "better" choice. They're hardened with a higher % of antimony, I believe, & a bit thicker jacket.
Old July 11, 2001, 08:13 PM   #11
Kingcreek

Agreed Labgrade,
That was when I was young and foolish- I'm older now.
I hunted for years with factory ammo and good results. Then I got into target shooting real serious (and reloading) and thought accuracy was everything. Then I learned more about everything, and now I try real hard just to remember some of it.