The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 4, 2000, 08:57 PM   #1
Bob Locke

Anyone else heading out for it?

I'll be helping set up on Thursday and Friday, and then shooting on the weekend.

Hope to get to meet some of you there!
Old August 4, 2000, 09:02 PM   #2
jawper

Bob Locke,

I'll be there. Got my $$$ in to Ron and everything. VERY excited. Since I've never been to a place like Blackwater, it's all going to be new to me.

Can't wait.

------------------
Best,
- Jawper
Old August 5, 2000, 08:33 PM   #3
BILLG

I will be there also.We are leaving Thrus. night.See you there. BILLG
Old August 6, 2000, 04:32 AM   #4
Bubba

Sure hope you guys had fun....

(as he sits in a hotel room in Tokyo... pouting that he can't shoot today)

Best of luck folks.

Bubba
Old August 6, 2000, 06:30 AM   #5
able2ski

I'll be there!

Shooting a G19 in ESP Marksman.

I too am REALLY looking forward to this event! Everyone tells me how great the facilities are, and I'm sure Frank will setup some great stages.

Rumor has it that Blackwater is being considered as the site for next years IDPA nationals.

Andrew
Old August 6, 2000, 09:06 AM   #6
BILLG

Check out Blackwaters web site.I have talked with Ron and this match should GREAT.The Blackwater Range has a 2 story shoot house the last I heard we will be using it.Stay Safe BILLG
Old August 7, 2000, 10:17 PM   #7
Bob Locke

I went down there with Ron a couple of weeks ago. I'm new to IDPA (two months) and, since I had never been to Blackwater and was looking for an excuse, I tagged along to provide a "rookie" perspective on the stages.

Frank is pure evil when it comes to setting things up. I'll leave it at that.

I just bought a G19, but it's too new to shoot this match. Going with my "old reliable" G21. (The one I bought four days before shooting my first IDPA match back in early June! )

I qualified Sharpshooter in SSP using it. Missed Expert by about 10 seconds in my second classifier, so I feel pretty confident that I will move up to that class next time we have a classification shoot.

There's a chance, unfortunately, that I won't be able to make it for this match. I work part-time at The Armory in Virginia Beach. Two of our guys just went to sea, and another has an interview tomorrow for a job. If he gets it, my chances of attending are about 50-50, unless Ron wants to make an exception for me and allow me to shoot the whole thing on Sunday.

If you see a good-sized fellow (6'3", 270 lbs.) wandering around with a shirt that says The Armory on it, that's me! Walk up and introduce yourselves, please! I really, really like meeting the people I talk with via the Net. This is another opportunity, it would appear.

Hope to see you all there!
Old August 7, 2000, 10:22 PM   #8
Bob Locke

Also, a couple of other points.

I heard the same rumor about Blackwater and next year's Nationals while we were down there. Good chance that some of the IDPA muckety-mucks will be there this weekend to check it all out.

The two-story clear house IS involved, and Frank is up to his usual antics (according to those I've asked about him).

Also, there's going to be some "side" gaming going on with steel targets. See Fred for more details on Saturday. You'll want in, and it goes to help the local range (Norfolk County Rifle Range) that takes care of us IDPA locals in SE Virginia.
Old August 8, 2000, 05:37 AM   #9
able2ski

At Franks regular match this past weekend, Frank & some of the others involved were discussing some final changes to the stages and proofreading the shooters packet.

From the bits & peices I overheard, it sounds like they are making full use of the facilities. This should be great!

I also heard something about a side-shoot; didn't bother to ask for details. Something about plate racks & speed shooting. Man-to-man shootoff?
Old August 8, 2000, 06:56 AM   #10
Bob Locke

As I understand it, it will be for time. But there's going to be a couple of "catches", I believe. Something like you having to shoot something other than your standard firearm (such as a Glock if you're a 1911 shooter, etc.).

Should be a hoot!