The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Katfish Kern

How much powder do I want to use for a 50 .cal??

Got a 50 .cal from cabelas, it is the hawkens style. How much powder do I want to use for this rifle at the range and for deer hunting?? I will only be shooting balls from it. Will this make a difference? Everyone has told me that the barrel wont be good for sabots. Is this true???
Old March 7, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Hawg

Mine wouldn't shoot sabots worth squat, they all tumbled. It'll work well with conicals or round balls tho. I used 90 grs. of powder with conicals and balls both. Recoil is more pronouced with conicals but not bad.
Old March 7, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Katfish Kern

How is the accuracy??
Old March 7, 2009, 04:27 PM   #4
rrp

I've got an old cva Hawkens that I've sighted in at 100 yards. I have found with mine, that 70 grn of pyrodex is the most accuarate. I have tried sabots with very little success. I use 250 gr conicals for my best results. I use the same load for deer.
Old March 7, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Pahoo

Katfish,

Take a look at your manual for their recommends. Probably 1:48 twist which is neither ideal for PRB or Sabots but instead a happy medium for both and capable of shooting both with good accuracy. Range time is in order to work up the loads you are comfortable with. My target load is 70grns, my teaching load is 40 or 50 depending on whose powder I'm shooting and my hunting load is 90-95. All with loose powder. The last time I went out, I shot a 1.5" group at 40yds. I'm happy !!!

Quote:
Everyone has told me that the barrel wont be good for sabots. Is this true???
Not so, just not ideal. Look your barrel over and see if the twist is identified.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 7, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Hawg

Cabela's Hawken is 1:48
Old March 7, 2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Blankwaffe

I usually like to use 80gr. of fffg with a round ball and .018" patch lubed heavily with Wonder lube or Ole Zip.Seems to be the most accurate at range,and makes alot less fouling than heavier charges.
Old March 7, 2009, 07:07 PM   #8
simonkenton

I use 80 grains and 90 grains, depending on the mood I am in.
Both are accurate, and both kill deer and hogs.
Can't tell much difference.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:48 AM   #9
shortwave

Mine diffinetly shoots PRB most accurate. As Pahoo stated: range time is a must. If you go with PRB experiment not only with charges but with thickness of patchs. FYI, make sure you have a ball extractor in your range bag. Old Indian says "stuck balls =`s short range trip". P.S. Pahoo, hello my friend. Glad to see your still spreading your infinite B/P knowledge .

Last edited by shortwave; March 8, 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:50 AM   #10
noelf2

I've had my T/C Hawken since 1977. There were 1:60 or 66 (not sure which) back then. Only PRB for me.
Old March 8, 2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
I've had my T/C Hawken since 1977. There were 1:60 or 66 (not sure which) back then. Only PRB for me.
His came from Cabela's which is an Investarms. They're 1:48.
Old March 8, 2009, 01:49 PM   #12
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Got a 50 .cal from cabelas, it is the hawkens style. How much powder do I want to use for this rifle at the range and for deer hunting?? I will only be shooting balls from it. Will this make a difference? Everyone has told me that the barrel wont be good for sabots. Is this true???
Sabots may be a problem if it is 1-48, I think they need a faster twist, like 1-28. It should shoot both RB and conicals OK. My T/C is 1-48, I use both but prefer RB. You can start around 70gr and work up. My particular rifle shoots best at 75-80gr.
Old March 8, 2009, 01:55 PM   #13
FrontierGander

Powerbelts shoot great in all of my cabelas hawkens. I max my charge out at 80.
Old March 8, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
srm970

i also have a cabelas hawken

i have had a cabelas hawken for about 15 years now. they shoot great.. round ball works the best out of mine.. but conicals are not far behind. powerbelts are third. and sabots were just a nightmare, both in acuracy and loading. and also getting plastic fouling in the barrel. for hunting i use conicals in the 300 grain range and us about 85 grains of pyrodex. and also order a hotshot nipple if you plan on using pyrodex or trip 7. otherwise you may get some hangfires.. both of the synthetics have a higher ignition temp. and forget about using pellets . not sure if that was somthing you were looking at. now as others have stated.. only way to know what charge to use is range time.. and getting your barrel broke in. i typicaly lean twards the acuracy side of things rather than power. even if your gun likes 65 grains of powder.. thats still more than enough to bring down deer sized game out to a 100 yards.
good luck and enjoy your new rifle.. of all the BP guns i have . that 50 cabelas is still my favorite to shoot. and the one i shoot the best with.

shawn
Old March 10, 2009, 03:22 AM   #15
Smokin_Gun

I never have found a reason to load more than 60gr(70gr with a Maxi Ball) of ffg or fffg in my Miroku Tennessee Poorboy .50 with .490" patched w/ pillow thickin' or lubed Maxis.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php