The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1
atravisty

Newbie Shot Shell question

Hello all, new to the forum and new to reloading, just getting started actually. I was wondering if there are any online shotshell recipe sources for reloading? Ant direction you can send me will be appreciated. I am mainly looking for 12 gauge with lower velocities (I would love to reload some lighter shells for my wife to shoot).

Thanks for the help and for stopping to read,

TC
Old November 12, 2005, 06:01 PM   #2
LHB1

Yes, check out Winchester, Hodgdon, and Accurate Arms to start. I have their little freeby reloading booklets picked up at local dealer. Same info is probably online if you can Yahoo/Google and find it. Or buy shotshell reloading book/manual by Lyman (?). Lots of load info including reduced loads for 12 ga. May take a little searching to find the one you want. Hint: MUST observe brand/type of HULL/CASE used for reloading. Actually, I suggest NOT changing anything (except size of shot) in a shotshell recipe from stated combo.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old November 12, 2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Big Yac

Well it all depends on what powder you want to use. If you want a lower pressure load for your wife I'd suggest making up 7/8oz loads. You can really make these light little loads hotrod or you can download them a good bit so they end up being pretty soft shooting. Also with the weight of a 12ga these lighter shells will actually recoil less than say a 20ga. Remington STS or Remington Gun Club shells seem to reload the best too.

Here are several links:

Alliant's reloading guide
In Alliants line for a 7/8oz load Id say try Red Dot or maybe American Select

Hodgdon Powder
With Hodgdon try Clays

IMR Powder
And with IMR for a nice soft shooting, low pressure load try PB

I hope all this helps and good shooting Oh and before I forget if you're going to use these in an autloader sometime a light shell wont cycle the gun, these will be fine though in an O/U, SXS, or pump.
Old November 12, 2005, 11:41 PM   #4
cobra81

Light Load recipe

Try this load for a great-shooting, light recoil round for your wife. I load this one for my wife to shoot in her O/U, and no complaints so far.

Winchester AA hull
16 gr. Alliant E3 powder
Win 209 Primer
1 oz. #7 1/2 lead shot
Green Duster 12 ga wad

This load is direct from Alliant's website. I believe it is good for around 1150 fps. An added bonus is that your shot supply will last a bit longer at 1 oz. per shell than it will at 1 1/8 oz.

Hope this works for you.
~Cobra
Old November 13, 2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Tacoma

You can also search over at trapshooters.com
BTW, One word of caution, shot shells are VERY intollerant of switching components. Much lass so than say handgun ammo Switching hulls brand, primer brand, wad type/brands or shot weight in a recipe can bring disaster. DON"T experiment. Get a recipe and stick to it to the letter.