The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 15, 2020, 06:06 PM   #1
mxsailor803

Scope comparisons

So I’m currently looking at upgrading a scope on my Rem 700 .243win. Now this is a simple deer rifle that’s used inside of 300yds. I’m currently at a toss up between the Leupold VX-3i 4-14x50 or the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50. I’m mainly interested in these power ranges due to the private property I hunt and I don’t have to carry binoculars. Plus the higher power is super convenient when I’m checking zero without a spotting scope. I’ve got several of each brands but I’m trying to see if anyone has any first hand experience with both of these models.
Old November 15, 2020, 07:31 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

I only have one Vortex scope, and it is a different model than the one you are inquiring about. But, I have 3 of the Vx 3I 4.5-14 scopes on rifles at the moment, and have two friends that also have them. They are an excellent choice- quality, clarity, durability, and a great warranty if you ever need it.

BTW, concerning using your scope in the place of binoculars is not a wise decision for a few reasons. Your field of view will not be as good, and you'll be pointing a loaded rifle all over the place to glass for game.....which violates one of the fundamental rules of gun safety. Buy quality binoculars, and use them to spot game.
Old November 15, 2020, 07:33 PM   #3
stagpanther

Customer just brought me a Viper HS 2.5 x 10 to install on a rifle to be used in similar ranges hunting--looks like an excellent choice though I haven't used it yet. I have no problem getting by with a 3 x 9 out to 300 yds, but a little extra--especially glass clarity--is a good thing. It's also got an impressive MOA range for Both elevation and windage to take you out much further and an easy fast zero reset.
Old November 15, 2020, 07:46 PM   #4
jmr40

No need to make this complicated. The VX3i 3.5-10X40 is a lot less expensive compared to the 4.5-14X50 and will do everything you need. $369 vs $599.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/leup...3i-rifle-scope

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/leup...3i-rifle-scope

There are some negatives when you get above 10X as well as with a 50mm objective. Plus you don't need more than 3X or 4X to hit a deer at only 300 yards.

As far as shooting in low light a 50mm objective transmits exactly the same amount of light at 10X as a 40mm objective does at 8X. Going to a 50mm objective adds weight, makes mounting harder, and only allows you to use 9X and 10X for about 5 extra minutes each day.

Above 10X and a 50mm objective starts to suffer in low light the same as a 40mm scope above 8X. As long as the 40mm scope is kept to 8X or less it transmits just as much light. At lower magnifications both scopes transmit more light than the human eye can use.

You should never use a scope to replace binoculars. You can get a decent set of binoculars with the $230 you save on the scope.

Winston Churchill
Old November 15, 2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Chaparral

I have shot many rifles with many brands and models of scopes over the years. I always seem to go back to Leupolds as my go to scope. They have the least amount of problems, great reliability, and their customer service has always been great. I've only used their customer service once. It was to ask if they could change a reticle for me to a different one. That was many years ago. But I hear nothing but great things about Leupold from people.
Old November 16, 2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Nathan

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. Have you looked through both? The Razor is a very nice scope.
Old November 16, 2020, 07:01 PM   #7
stagpanther

I mounted and tried out the viper HS--perfect hunting scope except for one thing that bothers me a bit--the retical looked awfully familiar, it looked like one of those metallic "pasties" that Nikon used to put on their lower end scopes. Checked the Vortex box--sure enough, made in the Philippines.
Old November 17, 2020, 12:49 PM   #8
Nathan

Quote:
I mounted and tried out the viper HS--perfect hunting scope except for one thing that bothers me a bit--the retical looked awfully familiar, it looked like one of those metallic "pasties" that Nikon used to put on their lower end scopes. Checked the Vortex box--sure enough, made in the Philippines.
Wow! I really like that scope on my 6.5x55!
Old November 17, 2020, 02:03 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Wow! I really like that scope on my 6.5x55!
I think it's a great scope too--just at that price point I was expecting an etched reticle; which looks to me like it isn't. I've had so many low end nikons (many of which are giving up the ghost right about now) that had that very similar metallic paste-on look (though I can't say for sure it really is on the the vortex).
Old November 17, 2020, 02:56 PM   #10
yournodaisy

Have you looked at Meopta?
Old November 18, 2020, 01:48 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

13 or 15 X is way too much magnification. The FOV is too small for deer or varmints.
The Leupold VX-3i 4-14x50 FOV on 4X is 19". 7.4" at 14X. It weighs a pound as well. That gets heavier later in the day.
Like stagpanther says, 3x to 9x is plenty. 2.5X to 8X is even better.
"...the private property..." There is no guarantee there will never be anybody else there. It's not considered safe to use a rifle mounted scope as a spotting scope when hunting.
Old November 18, 2020, 04:02 PM   #12
lefteye

The Leupold 2.5-8x63mm is my favorite hunting scope. I have three of them. It is excellent for close shots AND 400 yard shots!
Old November 18, 2020, 08:03 PM   #13
bacardisteve

Those scopes are not even in the same league. The razor compares better to the vx5 or vx6.
Old November 18, 2020, 09:46 PM   #14
Aqualife

I use a Nikon 4x12, I give nothing up using a higher magnification except a few oz’s.

But I’d wish I’d went with leupold rather then Nikon. I’d use 40/42 vs 50.
Old November 19, 2020, 06:47 AM   #15
bedlamite

I've got both the vx3i 1.5-5 and the Razor 1-6. The Razor is by far the better scope, it's only downside is weight.

I have both an HS-T and PST with etched reticles. AFAIK, The HS is the only Viper that doesn't have an etched glass reticle, and all Vipers use LOW glass from Japan, but are assembled in the Philippines. The Razor is made in Japan.

Last edited by bedlamite; November 19, 2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old November 22, 2020, 07:57 PM   #16
RC20

Quote:
"...the private property..." There is no guarantee there will never be anybody else there. It's not considered safe to use a rifle mounted scope as a spotting scope when hunting.

You don't have to put a cartridge into the chamber by the way, optics work just fine without one in there.
Old November 22, 2020, 08:56 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I guess the scope police need to come haul me away.
Better them than the county coroner, I suppose....

Pointing a gun at someone is generally not considered a friendly act. How would you feel if you realized you were in someone's sights? Some places, pointing a gun at someone is justification for them to shoot you...

On the target range, cranking up a variable to see your target better is one thing. Glassing the countryside with your rifle scope is quite another...

Use binoculars to see things, WITHOUT pointing a gun at them...
Old November 23, 2020, 05:53 AM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
AFAIK, The HS is the only Viper that doesn't have an etched glass reticle, and all Vipers use LOW glass from Japan, but are assembled in the Philippines.
The more I use the HS and compare it to the vortex's I have--the more unimpressed I am with it; I'm really surprised Vortex has taken a Nikon-grade scope and slapped a premium price on it. I have lower price vortex scopes like the diamondback 2 tactical which is far superior IMO and costs much less.
Old November 24, 2020, 09:20 PM   #19
The Happy kaboomer

In a word Meopta. I was with Leupold for many years and still have some. I really like the old vari-x III with HEAVY duplex. Don't really care for 3ci's.
So I am gradually changing to Meopta ( Meopro & Meostar) As better than Leupold also with better recticles.
Old November 24, 2020, 09:44 PM   #20
stagpanther

Quote:
Don't really care for 3ci's.
Have you looked through a 5HD? heady stuff. I like your handle.