The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 1, 2021, 03:10 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Crimson Trace Battery Tray Alternative?

I have come across a discarded Crimson Trace CTS-1300 red dot. The reason it was discarded is because it doesn't have a battery tray and CT doesn't stock that part, so, they just replaced the whole red dot. I couldn't let it go into the trash, so, I rescued it hoping to find something that might work. Any ideas from anyone? Should be a fun little distraction trying to make it viable.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; March 1, 2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old March 1, 2021, 04:17 PM   #2
ballardw

If you have someone that can scan and 3D print parts locally that might be worth investigating to get the basic tray. The fun part will be getting the electrical connection information needed if it does have any wiring.

Or see if you can find a Chinese knockoff that copied things that closely and see if the tray fits ...

If post a picture of an existing tray removed someone may have better ideas. I know my first "duct tape" though probably won't.
Old March 1, 2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

No wiring at all. Just a plastic tray to hold a CR2032.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210301_152522_copy_533x505.jpg (155.1 KB, 140 views)
Old March 2, 2021, 04:28 AM   #4
ballardw

Since you have one in good condition the scan and print looks quite doable.

Might even find the software and hardware available an the local public library though a professional shop would be more likely to have a variety of suitable plastics available. Might try a number of the filament sizes and materials.

It appears that there might be a rubber O-ring. So the scan would need to be without the ring and then find a suitable replacement ring as well.
Old March 2, 2021, 08:15 AM   #5
eflyguy

That wouldn't even need to be "scanned" - 5 minutes with calipers and a 3D design app could reproduce that.

Do you have a local tech college? Any engineering student would be able to do that for you. Another option is a maker space. Members are always looking for interesting projects to make a few bucks.