The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 16, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Hardy

ASM 58 Rem question

I took home an ASM 58 Rem -slick smooth-action.Beautiful gun with great feel and balance. But not being as schooled as I should be about 58 Rems (OK now hush)--I noticed this gun is all one piece except for 2.5" brass trigger guard held by one screw and one screw holding grips to backstrap which is also part of the gun.I guess in other words the frame is not separated(no separated frame) But there is trigger screw and hammer screw. Is this good or bad and before I take that little trigger guard screw out---please tell me something about this gun ------
WBH
Old October 16, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Hawg

Nothing will pop out if you take the trigger guard off. The inside workings are pretty much just like a Colt so there won't be many surprises when you take it apart.
Old October 16, 2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Hardy

Thanks Hawg. But I guess I want to know why they built this gun in one solid piece. If you take the grips off- is the main sping free to set? I'm just about ready to fire this thing and see

WBH
Old October 16, 2011, 11:32 PM   #4
smokepole14

I don't know what you mean when you say is the main spring free to set. If you are talking about tightening the tension to make the hammer lighter or stiffer to pull back, then you can do that without removing the grips. There is a screw on the inside part of the grip frame to do that with.
Old October 17, 2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Hawg

Hardy, The spring doesn't have a screw in it. It fits in a slot in the bottom and under the hammer roller at the top. There's a screw in the front of the grip frame that puts tension on the spring to keep it under the roller. You can tighten and loosen this screw to get a little adjustment on the hammer pull. Loosen it too much and you'll need to grind the end of the screw off to keep it from protruding. Also it is possible to loosen it so much it won't stay under the hammer roller. I don't know if all guns are like that but some are. You can put a piece of leather or wood under the spring to keep it from sliding down in the slot if you do get it too loose but like it that way.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Hardy

Misunderstanding on my part. What I meant was that usually you fit the spring under the hammer when frame is not attached. I did not know by just removing grips it was easy accessable.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Hardy

What I meant is that trigger guard and bactrap come out of all guns I have had experience with. This allowed the main spring to slide out from either side under the hammer. Since the backstrap is part of the frame I didn't know if this would complicate removing and resetting spring.

WBH
Old October 17, 2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

Hardy, This might help: http://www.scorrs.org/articles/1858disassembly.htm
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 18, 2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Hardy

Yes Fingers that was a great post. I never messed w/ rems but was caught aback by it not having backstrap screws on either side of hammer shield (recoil/w/walls or whatever)=so before taking it down I wanted to understand how this was done as oppose to Colts without buggering it up.. Thanks again. I never broke down a rem and was confused how the spring could be released from its setting to left or right.
WBH