The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 11, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1
ZVP

Cabela's $21 holsters

Just a tip...
They sell a modern style slim Jim holster for both the 7 1/2" Colt and 8" Remmie. The holsters don't interchange as the Remington needs more cylinder room.
The holsters are good leather but they have snaps (not period correct) that fasten the cross strap and securing straps. They have sewn closed ends.
For a gun pouch these holsters are ideal but if you want to use these for CAS or Re-encatment you'd be out of uniform. They are VERY well made and I bought a couple for trail holsters. (I think they may be made by Hunter Holsters?)
I guess you could swap out the snaps for Conchos or something if you wanted to modify the holsters.
ZVP
Old October 11, 2011, 10:41 PM   #2
bigminnow

I have 5 of these holsters and really like them...I'm just using them to carry the bp revolvers and probably will never be able to do any official shooting. For the money I think these are a good value...like the color too!
Old October 12, 2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Hellgate

I bought a pair for my Walkers and modified them to make them sorta "period" by removing the snaps and straps then taking them to a shoe repairman and had him sew the belt loop part to the holster (rather than being snapped to the holster. No one has complained so far. I think they just look at the Walkers booming away and just shake their heads.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 13, 2011, 02:14 PM   #4
ZVP

Hellgate,
What a great idea to have them just stitched!
I have been trying so much of this self-reliant B/P shooters stuff that I am overlooking the obvious! Ya get into thinking"How can I fix this myself?" so much that you get into projects where your skills don't exhist.
I have only done one holster that came out like I wanted but whatever you do don't get me near a needle and stitching! My hole patterns go will go astray within an inch!
The idea of being self reliant is cool but sometimes ya gotta say "Uncle" and let a pro do the job...
These are pretty thick and well made holsters and well worth $21! They really fit the revolvers well.
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to take my Cabela's holsters in and have both stitched too!
ZVP