The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 23, 2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Deltadart

Seneca Stock Repair

I need some help with a stock repair on a Seneca rifle I recently purchased. The guy in Bothell, Wa claimed it was like new on Gunbroker. anything but. Now that I have it, I need to fix all the issues. One is a chip at the back of the tang, it looks to have been chipped out and just had a drop of glue on it and pressed back in. Size is about 1/4" wide and 3/8" long. The surface is a few thousands above the stock surface. I am concerned that this is where oil runs to when the gun is stood up so the bond is suspect. I am thinking of a total refinish of the stock, sand down the chip and have the wrist checkered. That should cover the chip, or drill and put a plug in, then most likely checker or put in a brass inlay as is popular on many Pennsylvania rifles. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old June 23, 2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Pahoo

Damaged Stock

Del,
Sure wish you could provide some pictures to better understand what you have.
Have you tried going back to the seller or GB in an effort to get total or partial refund. I ran into this before on a used barrel and got "all" my money refunded but was out the shipping. That is the last time I bought a used M/L barrel over the internet. As far as a fix, you might be surprised haw well it could go but the scars will still be there. …..

I know you don't want to hear this but you can also buy a used stock, on line …

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 24, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old June 23, 2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Deltadart

Pahoo
I know, buyer be ware, however I took it at face value. The ad said like new, 2nd owner,fired very little. I have built sever kits from TC since '71. I like their stuff pretty well. GB has a $100 deductible on fraud claims, so I would be out nearly 20% right off the bat, plus shipping $35 and the ad said as is. So you win some and loose some. My camera has a too much resolution for a picture, will try to get a photo to you. I saw some of the used stocks but they also seem to have issues, other than a new maple one. I would like to keep the walnut to match my Patriot.
Old June 24, 2019, 11:05 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Heat lamp. Separate the pieces. Scrape off the glue (use dental pick). Once all the glue is gone, Accraglass the two together and then refinish.
Old June 24, 2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Deltadart

Thank you Gary,