The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 7, 2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Mattj4867

BCA upper rail looks off

Hi all just got a BCA 450 bushmaster upper in. Im fairly new to ARs and this ones rail just looks a little off to me. It seems to be a bit lower than the “billet.” Should I complain about this. Thanks. Excuse me for any terminology misuse.
It’s also slightly loose on my lower and light can be seen on the other side. Again I’m hesitant to complain because it was only $260 after all
Here’s the link for pics

https://imgur.com/a/Td2f1OE
Old December 7, 2018, 09:04 PM   #2
imashooter

Not bad. If there's any room to work with, you can loosen the handguard screws, take an accessory like an optic, etc, temporarily mount it where a part of it grabs the rail on top of the hg and the other grabs the rail atop your receiver. Retighten the handguard screws and see if it aligned it any better. Regarding the gap between the rcvrs, very, very, common. There are remedies but not needed. Short of a match-only weapon, it will have no impact on function or accuracy. Probably 9 out of 10 have that gap.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:09 PM   #3
rickyrick

That does look not quite right to me as well. Might be ok if you only have an optic on the reciever itself, but if you have a sighting system that uses both rails you may have issues or run out of adjustment.

Most ARs will have some slop between the upper and lower. All of my civilian ARs have less slop than the M4/M16s I used in the army.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:13 PM   #4
rickyrick

Quote:
take an accessory ...
I have a rail height adapter that was ugly and I never used it for its intended purpose that I use as an alignment tool for railed handguards.
Old December 8, 2018, 04:07 PM   #5
stagpanther

Unless you're really serious about mounting a front sight as a primary sighting--I never worry about it. Aero precision is the manufacturer that seems to be the most obsessed about having rails that clock exactly to their uppers--I would look to them if that's a really big deal to you.
Old December 8, 2018, 06:11 PM   #6
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Unless you're really serious about mounting a front sight as a primary sighting--I never worry about it. Aero precision is the manufacturer that seems to be the most obsessed about having rails that clock exactly to their uppers--I would look to them if that's a really big deal to you.
I can verify that. I have an aero atlas s-one handguard on a ballistic advantage upper and it's a seamless transition, a perfect match.
Old December 9, 2018, 03:38 AM   #7
armoredman

Ditto - my Aero upper and handguard are almost monolithic looking in precision.
Old December 9, 2018, 08:36 AM   #8
rickyrick

To me, the rail on the handguard looks lower and turned to the right as compared to the upper’s rail. If so, should be entirely correctable.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:06 AM   #9
Mobuck

I wouldn't recommend using a clamp on HG rail for mounting a front sight (or anything that requires long term alignment). W/o a solid connection between upper and HG, there's only a modest chance things will stay lined up during handling.
Old December 24, 2018, 09:34 AM   #10
MagnumWill

It looks held on with fasteners to me. Loosen its screws, and if you have any picatinny accessory that can clamp to the receiver and rail, clamp it on there and to tighten the screws.

That's how I've ensured both of the free-float rails I've installed are lined up. I've got an M4 carry handle that I can crank down on it, and get everything all lined up.
Old December 24, 2018, 03:39 PM   #11
ed308

I've got a Seekins SPRV3 handguard on my 3Gun that's the same or worse. The problems is the where the screws are drilled for attaching to the barrel nut. The more you move the holes toward the upper, the less chance is will fit. I could always shave the barrel nut down to get a close fit. But since it doesn't effect function or accuracy, why bother.