The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2018, 07:22 PM   #26
Bimus

Great news
Bolt guns love cast bullets too.
Old June 2, 2018, 08:18 PM   #27
Wendyj

It's a thought but I push 7 mm mag out around 3000 fps and my 6.5 Creedmoor I'm working up to a mile on. Going to try and pick up a Ruger #1 in 45-70 in next few months. Cast would be great for it.
Old June 3, 2018, 08:46 AM   #28
Wag

Great thread. Brings back memories!

Nothing wrong with fluxing with sawdust but it's a bit messy. I just get those wax rings for toilets and they last forever.

If you're going to cast rifle bullets, especially for pushing at that velocity, you're going to need to use gas checks.

Keep us posted.

--Wag--
Old June 3, 2018, 09:59 AM   #29
Wendyj

I really like my Tikka 7-08. I don't normally push it faster than 2600 fps. I do run the 120 grain Barnes at around 3000 fps. Wonder if a cast bullet would be good to about 300 yards with it. I would need a 140 to 145 grain mold.
Old October 24, 2018, 10:17 AM   #30
Wendyj

This is old post since April the 3rd and I have cast over 300 lbs of bullets since and am loving it. Casting for 45-70-45 colt-357-10 mm-44 mag and have mods from NOE-Lyman-Accurate and a few six cavity Lees for banger bullets. I can't hardly keep up with all the alloys I have tried. Ended up with a RCBS lube sizer and a Lyman 450 Sizer I found used. This was supposed to be cheaper but I think it's going to be more expensive if I keep buying another caliber to cast for. LOL. I have to give credit to the Lee 4-20 pot. I had a few small leaks in the beginning but have not had any since. I do clean it every time I change alloys and it has held it's own considering the cost. Only thing I find that ladles better than bottom pour is the 45-70 I got from NOE. Large cavity seems to like the ladle pour better for some reason. I wouldn't consider buying a jacketed bullet again except for my bench rifles.
Old October 24, 2018, 11:16 AM   #31
Dufus

It is nice to hear and makes me smile when folks are enjoying the hobby of bullet casting.

I started in 1969 and have not regretted a day of it.

I just melted and cleaned a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights that a buddy rounded up for me from a tire shop in a small town south of me.

There were a fair amount of iron and zinc weights in the batch, but not a problem.

I will use the WWs to build some alloys for future casting.
Old October 24, 2018, 01:31 PM   #32
Chainsaw.

Wow, you’ve been a buzy bee! It is a very rewarding hobby for sure.

I’m a cheap sake, hence casting, so I always ponder real hard on the “next” mold for a long time before I commit. That doesnt in fact save any money, meerly delays the inevitable.
Old October 24, 2018, 02:14 PM   #33
mikld

I normally will buy some commercial cast bullets of the design I want in a mold. If I like the bullet, I'll then buy a mold...
Old October 24, 2018, 06:15 PM   #34
Wendyj

Fortunately I have a buddy in Idaho that casts everything I do except the 45 colt which I learned on. He sends me samples of different alloys and a few different sizes to try out first. Been a great mentor and we only email. Have never spoke except email. Sent me my first Lyman pots and a few ladles to get started without the junk I was using.
I've been buying lead from a few nice people on the cast boolit forum for around $1.00 a lb. They have mixed my alloys with tin and Linotype if I ask. I still have about 150 lbs of known alloy on hand and about a 100 lbs of mystery metal I mixed up myself. People I've met that cast have been a real help. Tons of reading and you tube helps a lot. I'm finding out casting is a pay it forward hobby. Sold my Henry 45 a month or so ago and gave the guy about 400 cast bullets and a spare mold I had. He's already casting his own now and enjoying it a lot. Now my goal for this year is to take a deer with my own bullet. Don't think it could get much better.
Old October 24, 2018, 08:29 PM   #35
Chainsaw.

You bring up a point I ment to say earlier Wendy. Im looking forward to the day I take a peice of game with one of my cast bullets.
Old October 25, 2018, 06:46 AM   #36
Wendyj

I'm going Saturday morning with some 44s I have cast for my rifle. Hopefully a good day. If not it will be nice to be in the woods anyway. Going to take Blackhawk in 45 just in case one might be close enough.