The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 26, 2018, 01:27 PM   #1
ndking1126

PSAK-47

I have been checking PSA's website for quite some time but the AK-47s only show as out of stock. Have they quit making them?

I read tons of good reviews and can't find anything about them not producing anymore, so I'm confused.

Thanks!
Old November 26, 2018, 02:17 PM   #2
pblanc

I think they assemble them in small batches and those then sell out quickly. You need to keep checking their website. You can also ask to be notified by email when a particular rifle is back in stock.

The same is true for many items on PSA's website. Many are typically "out of stock" at any given time.

I bought a PSAK last year. It has been good so far except for a few minor issues.
Old November 26, 2018, 04:34 PM   #3
smee78

I get their emails all the time and every once in a while they have their AK's on sale but as it was said before, ya got to move quick if you want to get one. May try calling them to see if they have any and have not listed them as in stock yet?
Old November 26, 2018, 05:11 PM   #4
ndking1126

Great, thank you for the advice. Good to know how it's working.

pblanc, was that pre or post DDI buy out? Do you know if that affected their quality at all?
Old November 27, 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
You can also ask to be notified by email when a particular rifle is back in stock.
This.^ I get emails from them advertising AKs about every week.
Old November 27, 2018, 02:30 PM   #6
pblanc

I bought my rifle after the PSA - DDI acquisition. I assume it was assembled after. I have no idea if that acquisition affected quality for better or worse.
Old November 28, 2018, 11:13 PM   #7
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
I bought my rifle after the PSA - DDI acquisition. I assume it was assembled after. I have no idea if that acquisition affected quality for better or worse.
What is the psa-ddi acquisition?
Old November 29, 2018, 08:39 AM   #8
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
What is the psa-ddi acquisition?
http://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/...c-maker-ak47s/
Old November 29, 2018, 10:18 AM   #9
stagpanther

I got a PSA Zhukov about a year or two ago--always goes bang and does shoot under 2 MOA. Bit brutal on brass though. I bought mine on sale for $499--and then bought a PSA AR47 upper for another $150 or so which shoots even better and doesn't mangle brass as much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zhukov.jpg (76.1 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; November 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old November 29, 2018, 11:03 AM   #10
amd6547

I would expect them to be in shorter supply and perhaps more expensive, since they are getting good reviews on their revised version.
Mrgunsandgear just put out a pretty positive review, as has Rob Ski.

https://youtu.be/u01v0Km-vvs
Old November 29, 2018, 01:17 PM   #11
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
I would expect them to be in shorter supply and perhaps more expensive, since they are getting good reviews on their revised version.
Mrgunsandgear just put out a pretty positive review, as has Rob Ski.

https://youtu.be/u01v0Km-vvs
Thanks for posting the link to that video.

My PSAK 47 came with the exact same polymer furniture shown in the video. I will offer a few comments regarding the video and some minor issues that I encountered with my rifle.

Regarding the video, contrary to what is said the PSAK 47 rifles are currently not coming with cleaning rods. When I ordered mine, the website indicated that a cleaning rod was included but when the rifle arrived there was no rod. I called PSA and asked "what gives?" They told me their supplier had stopped making the rods but gave me a $10 PSA gift certificate as compensation. They have since amended their website to indicate that cleaning rods are not included.

I bought a cleaning rod from Amazon, but when I tried to insert it it would not go in all the way stopping about 3/4" shy of where it could snap into the cut-out on the bottom of the front sight block. The alignment of the holes drilled for the rod in the bottom of the front sight block and the lower polymer handguard was such that the rod was directed in a way that it hung up on the interior of a rivet that secured the feed ramp portion of the front trunion. This is a problem that I saw reported on various forums by other owners of the PSAK 47. I wound up making a little ramp out of JB Weld inside the receiver to direct the end of the rod up and over the rivet and now the rod goes in fine.

Although the polymer butt stock does have the trap door and interior compartment for a standard AKM cleaning kit, I found that a kit will go in fine but after it does you can't get it back out without removing the entire butt plate.

I also have the Midwest Industries optic rail for my PSAK 47. I have used it to mount both red dot sights and a 3X Nikon scope without issues. Regarding the iron sights, neither the front post nor the rear sight seem off-center or cantered. The windage was right on with the front post perfectly centered in the front sight block.

The carbine shoots well. The trigger is pretty good - for an AKM. By design, the AK trigger has a relatively long, creepy break but the break is predictable and the reset good. I agree with the video that the trigger is quite decent. Overall the carbine is pleasant enough to shoot with relatively little of the "cheek slap" that some AKs are known for.

The accuracy that I have achieved shooting from a bench at 100 meters has been pretty comparable to that demonstrated in the video, around 2 MOA with reasonable ammo. Like the rifle shown in the video, the working parts of my rifle show very little wear thus far.

I have encountered a few other issues with my PSAK 47. I went to remove the trigger group to do a little contouring and polishing of the hammer face to eliminate the unintended bolt hold open created by the bolt carrier hanging on the hammer (which many AKs are notorious for), and a little polishing of the sear surfaces of the hammer and trigger. When I tried to do so I could not get the pin retaining plate out. A small mark on the top of the plate suggested it had been knocked home with a punch. The plate could not be lifted up sufficiently for the notches to clear the axis pins for the trigger and hammer because the "waist" of the plate would hit the interior of a pin securing the optic rail. I had to pretty vigorously pry the plate inboard of the side of the receiver with one tool, and use a large screw driver to lever the plate up and out, using the rear trunion as a fulcrum for the screw driver. After I got the plate out I modified it a bit by slight enlarging the pin notches and relieving the top of the "waist" part so that the rivet would not prevent its removal.

Another issue I had is one malfunction that was caused by a failure of trigger reset. This first occurred in mid-magazine. The trigger could be reset by pushing it back forward and the gun would fire. When I stripped the rifle I found that the rear end of the left side of the trigger/hammer spring had walked inboard off of the left rear limb of the trigger. I did some judicious bending on torquing of this limb of the spring and the issue has not recurred. PSA said they will send my a new spring if it does.

Lastly, although the Magpul M.O.E. AK/AKM 30 round magazines work fine in the PSAK 47, the newer Gen 3 30 round AK/AKM magazines with the steel reinforcements on the contact points do not, at least not in mine. The steel reinforcements are too thick to allow the magazine catch/release lever to close over the rear reinforcement. This was true for both of the two Gen 3 AK/AKM mags I have purchased, and I have seen reviews of the Gen 3 Magpul mags from owners of other AKM rifles who encountered the same problem. The problem was easily solved for me by using a file to smooth and slightly thin the steel reinforcements for a time investment of about 15 minutes per magazine.