The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2017, 11:49 PM   #26
sprouticus

I built my reloading bench from scratch. The advantage of this is so I could get the dimensions just the way I wanted.
It ended up being 6' wide 18" deep and 42" high.

https://imgur.com/GtFZIle

The top is three 2x6 sandwiched between some 3/8 plywood.

https://imgur.com/atG5rAI

I started with the pair of towers for each side. I used that hardboard shelving stuff 15" deep & cut to 18" wide. And four pieces of 2x4's for legs.

https://imgur.com/PFxNK0H

Then I attached the heavy top to the two shelving towers.
After that I attached a 3/4 sheet of plywood as a backer.
Lastly I screwed the whole thing to the wall.. (It is super stable, doesn't wiggle a bit)

I left a 3" overhang so I can clamp various tools down as I need them.

https://imgur.com/fpW1sQs

Last edited by sprouticus; November 17, 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old November 17, 2017, 03:05 AM   #27
jugornot

I use this popular Harbor Freight table. Bench! Wait for a sale and its about$125-$130

Some bracing under one corner and my press is rock solid.
Old November 17, 2017, 04:35 PM   #28
ShootistPRS

I have made some really good benches to do my reloading and had to leave them behind when I movd because they were either built in place or they were just too big to move.
After leaving the third bench behind I decided to make reloading stations that were easy to use, solid and yet movable.

I have dimensioned drawings for this bench without the cabinet on top in PDF format that I will provide to anyone for free. It allows me to sit while I reload and has enough room for a press and the other equipment I use. It is 30" wide and 37" overall long. It fits through a 36" door easily and can be made in less than a few hours including the time to get the lumber. I have and use two of these as my reloading stations. I chose to use wall mounted cabinets for more secure storage. I also added padded seating - I am older now than when I designed it.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:03 PM   #29
jpx2rk

I use a 25 y/o two tier computer desk for work space (powder measure on the high shelf & 2 lamps) lower level for work space, a FA portable reloading stand with 2 Lee single stage presses mounted on opposite sides, some walmart cube shelving for storage and a HD work bench that collects "stuff". The lower shelf is used for storage as well.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:54 PM   #30
Damon555

Just go buy some 2x4's and some thick, sturdy plywood and custom fit your own creation into whatever space you have available. That's what I did in my man cave and it is far nicer than any of the purpose built units available from various manufacturers.
Old November 17, 2017, 08:14 PM   #31
GeorgeandSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeanJaeger View Post
I bought a 2” butcher block top from butcherblockco.com, blemished/second, a couple of 2x4s and some plywood, and built a rock solid bench with “2X4 Basics” shelving fittings and legs. It goes together with just long drywall screws. I was going to anchor it to the stud wall, but that proved unnecessary because it’s so solid.

Not quite as easy as the rolling tool cart, but I built it all for about $150, and you can make it any size you want.

I would have built a reloading table, however my wife had other ideas. The reloading table had to fit into our decor. The compromise was the Husky Work Bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2017, 09:16 AM   #32
Kevin Rohrer

Benches my friend and I built.

Here is an early picture of the bench I built from 4x4s and 2x12s. It will not move in, even in a tornado.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 19, 2017, 06:50 PM   #33
DPI7800

I built mine with 2x4's, 4x4's and plywood, then secured it to the wall. This one is semi- temporary, I want to build another one with mesquite planks and copper screws for accent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desk1.jpg (231.9 KB, 70 views)
Old November 19, 2017, 07:20 PM   #34
gwpercle

I take my Lee Hand Press and everything I need to reload , put it in a gym bag and take it to work. I get a lot of important work done (reloading is very important work) while sitting at my office desk!
A desk makes a nice reloading bench and for a pleasant day at the office.
Love that Lee Hand Press !
Have Reloader - Will Travel
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; November 19, 2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:10 PM   #35
Handloader109

I use a HF Woodworking bench for my Dillon 650, works fine, room to store under it and in the drawers. Power in a cabinet and my Lee ss on equivalent of a workmate
Old November 25, 2017, 12:36 PM   #36
Baldwin

Before I started reloading , I had built a 24' x 24' metal building with a concrete floor to use for a storage shed/workshop. In one corner I built a 30"x 8' work bench using the exposed studs and 4'x4' legs for support. It had a 5/8 inch plywood work surface. When I started reloading I wanted to use this bench, but was concerned about the lack of temperature/humidity control in the building and it's effect on dies and press (rust). I live on the Gulf coast. I also wanted to be able to use the bench for other projects. The first thing I did was add another layer of plywood (3/4 inch) to the bench surface. Then I ordered a quick change riser from InLine Fabrication. I also order two mounting plates and a docking station. I use a single stage press for decapping/bullet pulling and a turret press for loading. I can mount a press or swap presses on the riser in less than a minute. When not in use, the presses are in the docking station which is mounted on a wall in my closet. I bolted down the riser towards one end of the bench so I still have plenty of room to use the bench for other things. Works great! Can't say enough good things about InLine Fabrication. If I weren't so tech challenged, I would post pictures.
Old November 28, 2017, 01:18 PM   #37
F. Guffey

What do I use? Any and every thing. One of the local hospitals did some remolding, They removed a few heavy solid core doors and wanted someone to haul them off, for free. I was the last person they asked but for me BIG A$$ heavy doors has never been a problem for me. The doors came complete with signs like 'exit' 'women', men, both and kick plates and big handles. Anyhow, I got out of there with 8 of them.

And then there is 'what do I do most of my reloading on? I use stands that look like heavy grinder stands or stands for tables that came out of old drug stores. If I did not have three of them I would go the salvage yard and find a wheel, axle and drum. AND if I wanted to get serious I would get one out of a mediam sized truck.

F. Guffey
Old November 28, 2017, 09:55 PM   #38
drain smith

FoghornLeghorn, I was on an other sight and I remembered this post. You said you are setting it up in your music room. Well, he made a reloading bench out of an old upright piano. It is on the THR sight post photo of your bench. You might want to look into that.
Old November 29, 2017, 08:17 PM   #39
Irish Lad

Quote:
"I bought a 2” butcher block top from butcherblockco.com, blemished/second, a couple of 2x4s and some plywood, and built a rock solid bench with “2X4 Basics” shelving fittings and legs. It goes together with just long drywall screws. I was going to anchor it to the stud wall, but that proved unnecessary because it’s so solid.

Not quite as easy as the rolling tool cart, but I built it all for about $150, and you can make it any size you want.
+1 on the 2x4 basics. Love mine, easy to build. Made mine 2ft x 8ft.
Old November 30, 2017, 12:53 AM   #40
AK1911

Reload Bench

I had the fortune to work and retire from the mining industry. A Millright pal built my bench. 54"x 26" 3/8 steel plate with a welded 4" backsplash and 2 - 1/4" angle iron legs. The bench is lagged to the wall and legs bolted to the floor. It will not budge nor groan when sizing brass with my press. A bench should be solid. A pegboard back and overhead Sterling cabinet for powder. Game on.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:01 AM   #41
F. Guffey

And then I was minding my own business on one of those days neighbors were putting out big trash items, there it was, it was one of those metal framed/wood top work benches complete with a wood lathe and a separate grinder, not a problem for me but the lathe was missing the motor.

My wife saw it first and said nothing, anyhow I rolled upon it, got out and had to load it all by myself, I did have one of those moments, I thought about asking her if she would ask the former proud owners of the work bench if he forgot to place the electric motor at the curb side but I was so far ahead and excited, I am still so excited I can hardly talk about it.

F. Guffey
Old November 30, 2017, 11:04 AM   #42
kmw1954

That is part of the beauty in this hobby. One can build their bench to whatever suites their wants and needs. No right or wrong as long as it fulfills your needs.

I started with an old student size computer desk that was left sitting around unused and it worked out quite well once I added a second pcs. of 3/4" plywood to the top. Would post pictures but since the photobucket collapse I can't do that.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:05 AM   #43
MarkCO

I used an older metal desk with formica top in the old house. Had two presses on the return. It worked okay.

When we moved, I built out a room and put in a bench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench Complete.jpg (236.1 KB, 259 views)
Old November 30, 2017, 11:07 AM   #44
pete2

A desk will work but seems too low for me. I built mine with 4X4 legs and 2X6 and 2X4s with a 3/4" plywood top and shelves. It's nice and heavy. Height is tall so I can use it standing or on a bar stool. I have aluminum plated(hardened 1/2" plate), drilled and tapped to bolt down presses. It also has 3/4" plywood shelves on top with a special shelf for the powder scale. It isn't pretty, I'm not an engineer but it looks like something an engineer might have built.
Old November 30, 2017, 08:13 PM   #45
LukeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugornot View Post
I use this popular Harbor Freight table. Bench! Wait for a sale and its about$125-$130

Some bracing under one corner and my press is rock solid.
Ive been looking at this table as an option, but I have been wondering what are the 4 small pegs on the left side of the table used for? Can they be removed?

Last edited by LukeB; November 30, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 30, 2017, 08:18 PM   #46
Smoke & Recoil

@ MarkCO
That set-up of yours is to fancy for us common folk.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:46 PM   #47
cc1965

Heavy solid wood workbench from Harbor Freight
https://m.harborfreight.com/60-inch-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
On sale till 12/03 for $119
I didn’t attach the vise at the end.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:01 AM   #48
TripleGGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1965 View Post
Heavy solid wood workbench from Harbor Freight
https://m.harborfreight.com/60-inch-...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
On sale till 12/03 for $119
I didn’t attach the vise at the end.
Same for me but I use the vise. Works great.
Old December 1, 2017, 01:58 AM   #49
drain smith

jugornot, cc1965, and TripleGGG are you all crazy you can't load enough presses on a Harbor Freight bench. But you sure can if you top it with a 7' long piece of a fire door!
Old December 1, 2017, 07:36 AM   #50
TripleGGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by drain smith View Post
jugornot, cc1965, and TripleGGG are you all crazy you can't load enough presses on a Harbor Freight bench. But you sure can if you top it with a 7' long piece of a fire door!
Very nice.