The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2004, 08:59 AM   #1
flinchy

NRA Personal Protection in the Home?

What can I learn from the training? How good is it? I took NRA first step a few years ago, other than that i don't have any other training.
Thanks
Old August 8, 2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

What can you learn from the training? That is sort of the whole point of the class, right?

Contact the NRA or check their web site on line and find out what the class is supposed to provide you.

Consider taking additional training outside of what the NRA offers.
Old August 9, 2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Fred Hansen

• Lesson I: Introduction to Defensive Shooting
  • Lesson II: Basic Defensive Handgun Skills
  • Lesson III: Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership, and the Use of Deadly Force
  • Lesson IV: Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a Violent Confrontation
  • Lesson V: Selecting a Handgun for Self-Defense
  • Lesson VI: Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
  • Lesson VII: Course Review and Examination
  • etc.

That's the basic outline for the class. It's a good place to start. We teach basic safety, and common gun handling techniques. Not a lot of point in spending $1,500 dollars for an advanced class with next to no experience - in my opinion at least.

Many students find the advice about creating a plan to have somewhere "safe" to retreat to in their home while they call for the police very useful. It's especially useful since we also teach them to have a firearm at the ready so they may defend themselves in the interim.

The legal aspects of the course are covered by a person with standing in the court system, meaning that the person teaching that particular portion of the class must be an attorney, or a LEO that is actively employed within that jurisdiction.

Our local Firearms Training Group has enough instructors with enough handguns to give the students a reasonable ability to discover whether they prefer revolvers over autos. We also give them advice about which local gunstores/ranges offer them the ability to rent different firearms before they make a final decision.

We give our students an overview of the various competitive shooting sports that will aid them in honing their skills. Locally we also encourage them to join us at our club's informal shoots.

We can't/won't/don't teach any ninja skills, but we do a rather thorough job of leaving the average firearm owner better off than when they started. Or at least that's what my students tell me.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them. Good luck!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old August 9, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I highly recommend the class as an intermediate step between being a casual shooter and a Good Shooter. I took the class to fulfill the training requirements for CCW in Ohio this past spring. It will keep you going in the right direction. It will probably also leave you wanting more training (like it did for me) which is a sign of good training in and of itself.

Depending on the instructor, you'll do live fire drills shooting both right and left handed, you'll shoot from retention ready both left and right handed, you'll move & shoot and learn to use concealment & cover. You might even shoot in low-light which is a *real* eye-opener (in more ways than one!)

I found the topics of conflict avoidance and home security & safety the most rewarding. When the legal aspects are discussed, be sure to ask lots of questions. When else will you get to ask a lawyer questions for free?
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old August 10, 2004, 01:35 PM   #5
tcdrennen

I tried to post this a couple of days ago but for some reason the system wouldn't let me - let's try again

It's an excellent first course in defensive habdgun use, though oriented very specifically to home defense - it is NOT a combat or competition pistol course, though about 75% of it covers much the same area. You will learn and practice aimed and "snap" shooting, become comfortable with double taps on center-of-mass, and learn about establishing defensive positions in your home using cover, etc.

There's also a section on the legal and ethical aspects that must be taught by a lawyer or senior LEO.

The intent is to give you the preparation to defend your self and loved ones in a burgalry/home intruder situation. There is an effort underway to create an NRA course in "street' personal protection (IOW, CCW) but it's a few years off if ever.

I'll recommend it highly for a newcomer to firearms for personal protection

If you're in southern Kalifornistan, I am a certified instructor for the Personal Protection course as well as all the other disciplines except Muzzleloaders and Reloading (yet! )
Old August 13, 2004, 07:09 PM   #6
xrageofangelsx

Is there a spot on the NRA website to search for classes via searching by zip or area code?
Old August 13, 2004, 08:21 PM   #7
Fred Hansen

Search by state here.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old August 13, 2004, 11:00 PM   #8
xrageofangelsx

Thank You! I checked the NRA site before you posted and I must have missed it.

But I have it now.
Old August 15, 2004, 07:15 AM   #9
Fred Hansen

You're welcome.

Michael Moore
Old August 16, 2004, 09:43 AM   #10
flinchy

Thanks all for your replies. I'll attend one asap.