The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 19, 2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Phil306

NRA Law Enforcement Training

This review is for the law enforcement officers on this board. I hope this does not offend anyone else. However, I have just taken two of the NRA's Law Enforcement Instructor Development Courses: Tactical Handgun and Tactical Shotgun. Both courses were 44 hours long and had low light/dim light shooting.

The main emphasis on these courses were in instructor development. They WERE NOT shooting courses. Although you do shoot, you don't shoot alot. The drills they have, you generally only do once, maybe twice. They set the classes up in a shooter/coach arrangement, allowing you to teach another student the drills. This has one good aspect, for it allows you to interact with people you don't know. You do pick up some valuable training points this way.

The down side to this, is its very time consuming. Most firearms instructors (myself included) are generally teaching and we don't get a chance to shoot much. I would have liked to see less of the shooter/coach idea, and more range time for us. However, I can see the value for persons with not much experience teaching.

Another negative is, the drills you shoot, they DO NOT give you in the manual. So, when you learn a good drill, you have to write it down, to use it in your own training. I believe this is also a bad idea.

Finally, in order to receive their "certification," you HAVE to be a member of the NRA. don't ask me why, however, that is the way it is.

My understanding is these courses are going to go by the wayside in 2005. They are going to have a combined course of pistol/shotgun/rifle. So, I am happy I was able to get it in before they don't have them anymore.

For the money, these courses are a GREAT value. If your a firearms instructor, or want to be one, I wouldn't hesitate in going to the classes.
Old September 19, 2004, 02:57 PM   #2
Quartus

Quote:
I hope this does not offend anyone else.

No reason it should! Last time I checked, the job requirements for a LEO shooting instructor are a tad bit different than those for an engineer/truck driver/whatever shooting enthusiast.

I hope you're not offended if some of us read it anyway.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 19, 2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Archie

Something overlooked in the "NRA-LEO" talks...

There isn't a lawman in the United States who doesn't owe his shooting ability and skills to the NRA, either directly or indirectly.

Since the 1920s, the NRA has provided instruction to lawmen and lawmen instructors in all forms of firearms.

Yeah, I'm a lawman (federal) and an NRA member. Hopefully soon, I'll be a firearms instructor, again.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 20, 2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Steve in PA

I took the Patrol Rifle Instructor Course last year and found it to be quite good. We did alot of shooting.....even though these courses are not "shooting" courses, per se.

If you want a shooting course, go to Blackwater, Thunder Ranch, etc. The NRA LEO Courses, are instructor courses, meaning after completion you are now certified through the NRA and your state (PA excepts NRA courses) to instruct and certify in the given specialty.

My fellow LEO Instructor took the Tactical Pistol Course this year, and he said they shot alot too. Next year they are combining the Tactical Pistol with either Tactical Rifle or Shotgun (student choice) into a Tactical Instructor Course. It will be 2 1/2 days of handgun and 2 1/2 days of shotgun or rifle.

I plan on taking the handgun/rifle course.

I'm a LEO Firearms Instructor in PA, a Life Member of the NRA and I also beling to the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearm Instructors (IALEFI).