The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 16, 2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Classic12

Springfield Armory M1A

I have a Norinco M305 (NOS at $ 800) but been longing for a SA for a while.

They are very expensive new here in Switzerland (add 10% for US$) but now I found a lightly used (500 rds) one from a private seller.

I bought it and it was delivered last week, it came with three mags, a 10 and two 20.

Can’t wait to get out and shoot it some, I have a good stash of ammo for it.
Old November 16, 2020, 06:14 PM   #2
50 shooter

What made you decide on a SA rifle and not another brand?

One day I'll buy one also but I think it will be from LRB or maybe Fulton Armory. Of course there are some others like ARMSCORP and Enterprise that make a good rifle.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 16, 2020, 08:53 PM   #3
Targa

Absolutely beautiful rifle...congrats!
Old November 17, 2020, 03:09 AM   #4
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 shooter View Post
What made you decide on a SA rifle and not another brand?

One day I'll buy one also but I think it will be from LRB or maybe Fulton Armory. Of course there are some others like ARMSCORP and Enterprise that make a good rifle.

That’s a very easy one to answer : neither Fulton Armory or LRB or Bula sell their rifles here in Switzerland so SA or made in China are the only choices.
Old November 17, 2020, 08:12 AM   #5
imashooter

Congrats. Bought a new standard (walnut) model in 76-77 when at Ft. Lewis. Out the door was approx. 280.00. Sold it to our unit armorer when I deployed overseas.
Old November 30, 2020, 06:46 PM   #6
smee78

Congrats on the new addition, mine is a great shooter and a joy to shoot.
Old November 30, 2020, 06:52 PM   #7
DT Guy

That's one of the nicest looking rifles I've seen in a long, long time. Absolutely gorgeous.

Anxious to hear how she shoots.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old December 1, 2020, 01:55 PM   #8
Classic12

I only got access to the 50 meters indoor range, but it was nice to try out the rifle. Very little correction was necessary for a good sighting in.

Also tried some rapid fire standing. The rifle has some mass that absorbs recoil nicely. Shot abt 60 rounds, 3 different brands of ammo, not a hiccup

Old December 1, 2020, 05:38 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Nice commercial version. Should do well.

Mine is one of the old "original" guns made with all USGI parts except the receiver. My stock has the cut out in the wood for the selector switch. And it has the "locking bar" rear sight used on the M1 Garand and early M14s.

Most M1A owners know you can turn the gas system on and off with the screw, here's a tidbit it seems few people know, (If your rifle is made to GI spec inside) you have a "second strike capability" without working the bolt.

With the hammer down, unlatch the trigger guard (will be very stiff on a new gun) and swing it all the way forward. This will recock the hammer, without needed to cycle the bolt.

Don't know why anyone would need to do that but the rifle will do it.

I was in the last class trained on the M14 rifle at the USAOC&S APG Md (small arms repairman) and the M14 has always had a special spot in my heart. I find it fits me well, and am particularly fond of its decent to good stock trigger, and the fact that unlike the AR FAL and HK guns the charging handle works BOTH ways.

The 5rnd mags are nice, fit almost flush, but due to that are difficult to remove from the gun. The 10rnd is a good choice, and of course the 20 is the GI standard.

I recommend you find and get the GI cleaning kit for the rifle. The handle is a combination tool that fits many things on the rifle and the entire kit can be stored in the buttstock.