The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 3, 2020, 10:42 PM   #1
rodfac

Scope for Colt HBAR Handle 5.56

How 'bout some recommendations for my HBAR to be mounted on the carry handle. My eyes are just too far gone to work through the peep anymore. The gun in use is an HBAR with a 1:7 twist that I used since '95 for CMP across the Nat'l Match Course competition. I'd like to mount a dot on it or find a low lying magnifying scope. I keep the gun for chucks out to 200 yds or so, some plinking and for home defense. Too, I'd like to find something that I don't have to mortgage the farm to afford.

One of my sons has a Sig Romeo 5 (I think) mounted on his flat top that I particularly like (No magnification but superb clarity) but is it made for the handle version as well?

Another option might be one of the 3 or 4 x 20mm short bodied scope types that Colt originally came out with. Anyone out there with experience with a knock off or one of the originals?

Currently, I have a Leupold 2.5x Alaskan (long discontinued, as it's a 7/8" tube) which works well enough for sand-bag load development, but the bore axis to scope crosshairs distance in right at 4"....I'd like something lower that'll nestle down in the carry handle "ears".

Best regards, and thanx in advance. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 4, 2020, 12:37 AM   #2
ttarp

If you do decide to mortgage the farm, the Trijicon TA44's have a carry handle version, and are quite nice.

Sorry I can't offer any useful information, but I'll be interested to see what you end up with.
Old November 4, 2020, 02:00 AM   #3
Polinese

Brownells started producing a copy of the colt scope using the same japanese factory. From what i can gather it's a great little optic and not that expensive. Would look right at home on an HBAR