The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 31, 2020, 10:32 PM   #1
dvdcrr

Suggestions for M&P 10 handguard?

Hello,
I am toying with the idea of overhauling my M&P 10. Maybe time to add a free float handguard, change the gas block, and muzzle device. Suggestion? I think I would like a 12" handguard, quality, and light. Any ideas?
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old November 1, 2020, 05:42 AM   #2
brasscollector

First you're going to need to figure out whether you have a high or a low profile upper receiver. Once you have that info handy you can go about selecting a hand guard.
Midwest Industries are nice and their website has the information on how to determine what you have. Unfortunately it looks like they are sold out currently (might find them in stock elsewhere). Aero Precision also makes some nice hand guards, should you happen to have a high profile upper the Aeros will fit.
Old November 1, 2020, 10:19 AM   #3
dvdcrr

m&p seems low to me
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old November 1, 2020, 09:04 PM   #4
bacardisteve

The m&p10 is different than anything else on the market. It has an odd ball gas tube length and bcg. Im not saying it cant be done but it would involve some serious gunsmithing. Maybe they have become popular enough that somewhere someone is making parts that fit but when I dug into this about 4 years ago the only part you could easily swap was the pistol grip and the stock.
Old November 2, 2020, 10:18 PM   #5
dvdcrr

Looks to me like a MI 12" or 15" would work if a person swapped to a different gas block and either a long ejection port rod or a strike ind. cover.
BCG doesnt matter, as the extension is retained, and gas tube will be retained so no issue there...
Last time I looked the MP 10 had an extra spring going into the grip but that is neither here nor there.