The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 6, 2020, 09:09 AM   #1
taylorce1

Custom Clamp On Thread Adaptors

I'm severely lacking on threaded barrels to put my suppressor on. So while searching for ways to thread barrels with too small of a profile, I ran across Witt Machine and their custom clamp on thread adaptors. I happened to look this morning and they are having a 4th of July sale where most things are 25% off. So I bit the bullet and bought four of these adaptors for M70 FWT, M70 Sporter, M70 EW, and Howa Alpine.

I'll let you know how they work in a few weeks.
Old July 6, 2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Double K

What great idea, I would be a little nervous about having a bullet strike though, wondering if there would be a foolproof way to check before shooting.
Old July 9, 2020, 05:44 PM   #3
Ricklin

Thanks!

I have considered a suppressor for my Walther G-22 for years. Wish I could just order the one from the manual that came with it. It appears to be an over the counter item outside the USA.
There was a small Qty. of G-22 barrels that came in to the USA factory threaded. AFAIK the threaded G-22 was never sold in the USA officially.

AT any rate thanks, this looks like exactly what I need to put a can on the G-22. The bullpup seems pretty ideal as a suppressor host.

My other .22's can be threaded for the most part. It's really the G-22 I've got in mind.

Anyone have a suppressed G-22?
Old September 14, 2020, 09:35 AM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
What great idea, I would be a little nervous about having a bullet strike though, wondering if there would be a foolproof way to check before shooting.
I suppose if you had a proper diameter bar that you could slide through your suppressor and into your barrel is the only way to know for sure. I can tell you that these don't fall right on the barrel, they are a little bit of a press fit and you use blue loctite as a lubricant on the barrel to get them on. I imagine it all depends on how well you measure your barrel, I don't have the proper equipment to measure but the adapter does look centered. However, while my daughters was the first mounted, my old M670 .30-06 will be the first test subject, in case there is any damage done I'll let it happen to a rifle we're not using this fall to hunt with.

I mounted the first one on my Daughter's Howa Alpine rifle this morning and it added about 20oz of weight with suppressor to the rifle and definitely changed the balance to muzzle heavy vs. pretty much neutral. The one thing I didn't like is the clamp on adapters did not come with thread protectors, but for $32 I was able to order a few online to fix that problem.

The rifle with scope used to weigh 7lbs 1oz.

The suppressor and adapter weigh 1lb 3oz.

The extra 3oz is all Blackhawk mountain sling.
Old September 14, 2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Double K

Not the best looking adapter, they should have black plastic cover to hide all the screws.
Old September 14, 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Let us know how they work, especially if one turns into a projectile.
I have a few things that I'd like to shoot suppressed, but either can't be threaded, or I can't deface the firearm by threading it.

Quote:
Not the best looking adapter, they should have black plastic cover to hide all the screws.
Then it would be even bigger, even uglier, and even more likely to interfere with sight picture.

Adapters are ugly. That's just the way it is.
I'd prefer form being dictated by function, more than function being compromised by form.
Old September 14, 2020, 12:09 PM   #7
taylorce1

These are not a permanent solution, they are for me to figure out if I want to thread these barrels or replace the barrels/rifles all together. It would be more cost effective to just buy suppressor ready rifles if it comes down to barrel replacement.

As to the look, yep they're ugly as homemade sin. I could have paid to have them cerakoted black, but they're stainless and I wasn't going to pay extra for looks. The adapter isn't for everyone, but they can provide another option for those looking for one.
Old September 14, 2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Double K

Probably make something with a 3D printer that would taper up to the suppressor so it would look like part of it, are the screws stainless steel?
I have that same Omega 300 btw, best Ar suppressor there is for the money IMO.
One of my 7-08's is incredibly accurate, one of those guns you don't want to make any permanent changes to but would like to try a suppressor on.
Old September 14, 2020, 06:50 PM   #9
taylorce1

Well, I didn't have the guts to go shoot them today with the suppressor on. Witt Machine says to check with a bore alignment rod, but I wasn't going to order them before the adapters arrived. I bought the precision ground steel rod for a lot less than the bore alignment rods sold. .2969 for .308, .2660 for .270, and .2344 for .243 and they're all ground within .0005 +/- of the diameters selected.

Crossing my fingers that those sizes will work well.
Old September 14, 2020, 09:58 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Should work.
I use O-1 drill rod for things that require a representation of bore axis, or a heavy clearing rod, or for slugging, etc...
There's always a fraction, metric, or letter size close enough to be 'close enough.'

They do come in handy...

That's a .250" ground rod, in a 6.5mm barrel (.256" bore, I believe), and an 8.8" .30 caliber suppressor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg norod10255.jpg (116.3 KB, 1011 views)
Old September 14, 2020, 11:09 PM   #11
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
I use O-1 drill rod
That's what I ordered. Each three foot stick was about $6, alot cheaper than the $70+ each for the suppressor alignment rods from Surefire or other places.
Old September 17, 2020, 08:17 PM   #12
taylorce1

All right the good, the bad, and the ugly report.

The Good: They work! I shot ten rounds through my .30-06 M670 suppressed today and no baffle strikes.

The Bad: I have to clock them to get the bore alignment rod concentric to be confident that the bullet wouldn't hit the baffels even on the .270.

The Ugly: Hell they're ugly on the end of any barrel, but having to turn one from 12:00 to 7:00 to get clearance just made them uglier.

So I went ahead and pulled them off all the rifles rather than mess with them anymore. They'll work if someone wants to test some muzzle brakes on their rifles for some reason.
Old September 17, 2020, 11:46 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the update.
Old September 18, 2020, 12:23 AM   #14
Double K

What rifles do they fit?
Old September 18, 2020, 04:32 AM   #15
taylorce1

You have to measure your rifles at the muzzle and 1.625" back and give the measurement to Witt Machine to make specific to your barrel.

I had them on a M70 EW .270, M70 FWT .30-06, M670 .30-06, and a Howa LWT .308.
Old September 18, 2020, 07:17 AM   #16
stagpanther

I've bought a fair amount of clamp on brakes over the years from Whitt and Kahntrol. In general the Kahntrol brakes for me have been superior with more precise fit and hold and I've replaced the Whitts with them. As mentioned, the taper of the clamp is key to how well it fits to the barrel--make no mistake that clamp is going to be causing damage to the barrel if it isn't "just right." I know Kahntrol does not make suppressor adaptors (AFAIK)--might be worth asking them though.
Old September 18, 2020, 11:47 AM   #17
taylorce1

I'm done with this experiment, I'll just thread barrels from now on. It was really just to play with my suppressor on a larger variety of my rifles. I've been adverse to using muzzle brakes so I don't have But three rifles that are threaded right now.