The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 21, 2022, 03:51 PM   #1
kell

unburned powder

I'm shooting 22mag in a mdl 48 revolver. I see some unburned powder and I was wondering if anyone knows of a faster powder. I'm using CCI Maximag.
Old July 21, 2022, 04:03 PM   #2
Electrod47

Rimfire ammunition generally requires a solid smack from the firing pin for good ignition. Check and see if there is anything slowing that down, dirt, weak spring etc.
Try the ammo in a rifle if handy or another gun, and see if you have the unburned powder.
99.5% .22 Mag ammo is produced for rifle usage. I have one box of something for my NA 1" barrel says " 1000fps out of a NA. Chrono'ed it NO WAY!
Old July 21, 2022, 04:07 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

.22WMR ammunition is made for optimal use in rifles. There is none I know of made specifically for pistols, and I doubt there ever will be, there just isn't sufficient commercial demand.

use and enjoy what you get from your gun, and just clean off the unburned powder when finished.

Or, figure out a way to (safely) load your own rimfire ammunition and find a powder that all burns in your barrel length. IF you do, you won't get the same performance you're getting from factory ammo, though. There's no free lunch.
Old July 21, 2022, 05:15 PM   #4
Scorch

Smokeless powder burns better as the pressure rises and time increases. In a revolver you have neither, a short barrel with a .008" barrel-cylinder gap is very likely not reaching either the needed pressure or dwell time for good combustion of smokeless gunpowder. I used to see traces of unburnt powder in my Colt 1917 revolver shooting the same loads that burned cleanly in my Colt Commander. Don't worry about it, just enjoy shooting.
Old July 21, 2022, 05:17 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Speer makes a 22mag gold dot for short barrels.
Old July 21, 2022, 06:21 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Well, apparently there is at least one .22WMR round made for short barrels, and NOW, I'm aware of it.

However, I have no interest in it, as I only have one .22WMR and it has a 6.5" barrel and in over 30 years I have not shot even two boxes of .22WMR through it. Lots of .22LR, but to me, shooting .22WMR is a waste of my money.
Old July 21, 2022, 10:37 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Well, apparently there is at least one .22WMR round made for short barrels, and NOW, I'm aware of it.

However, I have no interest in it, as I only have one .22WMR and it has a 6.5" barrel and in over 30 years I have not shot even two boxes of .22WMR through it. Lots of .22LR, but to me, shooting .22WMR is a waste of my money.
22 mag really shines in a rifle. For defensive use in a handgun 22 mag is a much better choice than 22lr. However neither are good defensive options imho, unless you need a mouse gun like a naa.

I Carried the 22mag gold dot short barrels in my naa for a while. They were the best performing hollow points i could find. Expanded pretty reliably, and on bare gel ,made 12in of penetration. Only Carried occasionally.
Old July 22, 2022, 10:07 PM   #8
HiBC

A key tip:
Be sure the muzzle is up when you push the ejector rod. Burned powder falls to the ground.

Try not to push the ejector rod with muzzle down. Much burned powder falls from case mouths under the ejector plate. Now there is powder between the ejector and cylinder. Gun binds up.
Old July 27, 2022, 11:06 AM   #9
kell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Speer makes a 22mag gold dot for short barrels.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye open for the Gold Dot SB, even though I don't shoot this gun that much.
Old July 28, 2022, 07:56 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

Found this today. Gold dot vs punch. Velocities and gel testing from a snubbie.
https://youtu.be/v2XwUlCWqLE
Old July 29, 2022, 04:59 AM   #11
buck460XVR

Unburned powder in a revolver is normal. Last thing I would worry about in my revolver ammo after accuracy and reliability.....especially when "I don't shoot this gun that much".