The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 1, 2019, 11:03 PM   #1
the possum

4mm Flobert ammo?

A while back I saw a nice old German gun that appeared to be chambered in 4mm Flobert. I'd want to shoot it if I bought it. Some Googling shows that the ammo is still made today in Europe by at least 2 manufacturers (RWS and Sellier-Bellot if I'm remembering correctly). But I was unable to locate anyone selling this ammo stateside. All I can find here is cartridge collectors selling individual rounds at prices I can't afford to plink with.

Any of you guys know of an importer or someone selling it in America?
Old January 2, 2019, 02:02 AM   #2
arcticap

There's a reason why it's not imported much into the USA which is probably because we have more alternatives.
Plus it's expensive for its level of performance.

Your best bet is to contact one of the manufacturers US subsidiaries to see if they plan on receiving any shipments and then to ask how to procure some.
Other than that, another option would be to find an ammo importer who would be willing to obtain some for you from their European sources.

But again, the price of the ammo is so expensive to begin with, that you probably wouldn't want any if you learned how much it would actually cost you.

Why not consider a .22 revolver or rifle that can shoot the low powered rimfire rounds that are available and affordable in the US?

Or an air rifle or air pistol that operates on compressed air or CO2?
A .31 cap & ball revolver or a muzzle loading parlor pistol are other options.

You can also keep your eyes open for public internet auctions where some may pop up from time to time.
But even then, lots of ammo are often auctioned off in bundled assortments.

If no outfit intends to import any in the near future, it may simply be because there's very little demand for it.

Last edited by arcticap; January 2, 2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old January 2, 2019, 05:33 PM   #3
the possum

I agree with your points about its power & such. The cost is more than .22lr, but the stuff I saw for sale in Europe wasn't outrageously priced. More than it's power level justifies, compared with .22, but I could afford to pop off a few rounds now and then just for fun.

The reason I started down this rabbit hole is not because I was seeking out a certain level of performance. It was because I happened across an antique gun that I thought was really neat, at a fraction of the price it would cost to produce today.
Old January 3, 2019, 01:01 AM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
The reason I started down this rabbit hole is not because I was seeking out a certain level of performance. It was because I happened across an antique gun that I thought was really neat, at a fraction of the price it would cost to produce today.
On this European site, 200 rounds of S&B costs 19.20 Euros or $21.81 USD without our import/excise taxes of at least 11% for wildlife conservation under the Pittman-Robertson Act.
100 rounds of RWS cost 31 Euros which equals $35.22 USD before taxes.
The current price of .22 LR is approximately .02 - .05 cents per round, or around $4 per hundred.--->>> https://www.balistas.com/flobert-ammunition/

Last edited by arcticap; January 3, 2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old January 25, 2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Randy A

I have a Flobert with the Warnant style action that was 4mm. Had a friend bore it and line it with .22. Works like a champ, I think it cost me about $100 but great to shoot. Check the bore, a lot of those were smoothbore.
Old October 25, 2019, 09:10 AM   #6
vizslas

The Possum, SGAmmo has 4mm Flobert ammo. It comes in 200 round tins.