The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
johnmcgowan

Win model 1300 pump problem

A friend brought me his Win model 1300 12 ga 3 inch chamber the other day for me to look at. Its one of those NWTF guns, the kind with the pretty green multi colored wood on it. The gun has not been taken care of very well , there are some major pitting areas on the barrel and on the magazine tube, and it had not been cleaned in a long ,long ,long , time. I think the gun was put in a soft case as it was damp, and the results are obvious.
Anywhoo, the ejector was hanging up when I would pump the action and I couldnt pump the action to the rear all the way , so I dissasembled the rcvr and trigger assembly and removed the barrel for cleaning. The firing pin and spring was just laying in there and the inside of the rcvr was really dirty. I cleaned everything up with some brake cleaner to remove all the crud, blew it out with air, then oiled all the neccesary parts. I cycled the pump several times ( without any rounds chambered of course) and it seemed to do ok, although I noticed there is some side to side play in the slide that the pump handle is attached to.
Friend took the gun this past weekend to try it out and loaded a couple low brass 2 and 3/4 #6 shots to test fire. Fired the first shot and he went to pump the action to eject first round/chamber the 2nd round and the fired round would not eject all the way. He gave it to me again today to look at again and left the spent round in the gun just to show me what it did. The ejector had come loose from the pump slide where its attached to on the flat plate that is on the bottom of the ejector assembly.The spent shell came rearward about 3/4 of the way before the ejector stopped its travel . Its like the ejector plate has 2 tab cutout/notches on its bottom side where the pump slide sits in but this is where it is working itself loose, therfore disconnecting the ejector from the slide.
Whats the best way to try and fix this bugger so it stays together ?
Best place to get parts?
Thanks,
John
Old January 15, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
dwaawd

Some places you can check:

New parts here:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...del-1300-parts

used parts:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

http://www.gunbroker.com/Shotgun-Par...1&SearchType=1

add:

http://www.gunauction.com/shop/gun-parts-shotgun
Old January 15, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
johnmcgowan

Thanks for the links dw. Anyone who knows the workings of this pump want to take a stab at what may be wrong? I know, its sorta hard to figure out what it may be without seeing it, but I wasnt sure if the gun may have some common problems such as what its doing now or something?
Thanks,
John
Old January 15, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
dwaawd

John, from your description it would seem that it's due for a mild rebuild. I've had my 1300 since 1984 and never encountered what you are describing. Some minor changes were made later in the way the ejector was mounted in the reciever and they did away with the small screw that held the slide arm bridge to the breech bolt slide and redesigned the rear of the firing pin. The ejector should have a slight curve(not flat) to it but without seeing what your used parts look like it's hard to comment.

I would make sure the slide arms on the extension are not bent and that the breech bolt fits in the slide arms well. I would replace
the ejector and extractor with new parts. If it's a later model the ejector retainer is attached to the ejector in the reciever with a screw. You might try cycling something besides low brass and see what happens but I've not encountered any cycling problems with any manufacturers loads.