The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 29, 2017, 10:09 PM   #1
AzShooter

Shooting from a Wheelchair

I've been trying to shoot from my wheelchair the same way I shot when standing. The problem is my arms are as weak as my legs and I just can't hold the gun out fully extended I've been playing with dry fire trying to find a consistent form that I can maintain for the day. I think I came up with it today.

Both my arms are now bent real close to my body. I seem to be able to control my sights much easier this way. It's almost like the old Weaver Stance. I know that's a step back but for now it's working for me. Any advice will be well taken.

While practicing today I felt more comfortable and more confident in my shooting. I was able to shoot tiny groups with my 617 revolver and shot better overall with my Ruger Mark III with a Pac-Lite barrel. Out of 300 rounds fired from the Ruger I had no failure to feed or failure to fires. I had replaced the extractor before putting the new barrel on. I should be able to get in another 1000 rounds of practice to prove the new setup is working for me. I think I need to take a class from a shooter that can show me how to shoot better while sitting down. It does take a different setup and presentation to the targets.
Old January 29, 2017, 10:32 PM   #2
WIN71

This may be something

Quote:
I've been trying to shoot from my wheelchair the same way I shot when standing
You're not standing anymore you're sitting. You can't use your legs as a steady balance point on the ground. That automatically balance point bipod is gone. I don't why it should matter if you're sitting in a wheel chair, a kitchen chair, a pick-up seat or sitting on the ground.
Adjust your shooting using a elbow rest, forearm rest or some other way to steady your hold.
It wouldn't matter as much if you were shooting a rifle.
This post is easy for me. I'm not in a wheelchair. But I shoot with my brother and he only has one arm. He sites shoots, and uses his knee to support the rifle that his missing arm used to do.
Old January 29, 2017, 10:49 PM   #3
walks with gun

I'm wondering how some of the better laser sights would work, you might not have to hold the gun to eye level. Just a thought.
Old January 30, 2017, 01:09 AM   #4
foolzrushn

azshooter

Are you shooting at a range with a shelf for resting your forearms?
If not, you might try one of the mono poles that adjust for height like the rifle shooters use with heavy muskets etc. Place it under your arm just behind the wrist, two hand pistol grip.
The plastic ones are light and collapse small to carry in a backpack on the wheelchair. Maybe they are called mono pods. Have a v shaped rest on the top.

certified 'soap welder'
Old January 30, 2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Don P

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^ perhaps if possible try to build a little upper strength.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 30, 2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Arthritis in my strong-side shoulder limits my use of a handgun. My solution has been the S&W 642CT. Gives a whole new meaning to, "Light 'em up!"
Old January 30, 2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Skans

I would also think a good laser would be helpful in this situation. I'm not typically a fan of lasers, but in this case I would be.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:03 AM   #8
g.willikers

Using additional muscles other than just your hands and forearms helps a lot.
Specifically the chest, upper arms and shoulders.
It's not a technique that's discussed much, but several trainers do explain it.
I'll try to find it some, maybe on youtube.
And as you've discovered keeping the gun closer also helps.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 30, 2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:17 AM   #9
AzShooter

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm taking them to heart.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:36 AM   #10
g.willikers

Here's an excellent video on using those chest, shoulder and upper arm muscles, as well as the grip itself to keep the gun straight on target, the sights and recoil under control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgtAFLsXnVs
Old January 31, 2017, 01:43 AM   #11
AzShooter

Good video Thanks.
Old January 31, 2017, 08:55 PM   #12
jrothWA

Hello AZ,

Would speaking with a trainer @ a gym, to develop some type of a routine to get upper body strength more developed, be something to consider??

You can be a assent for other with similar situations.

Good Luck.

The suggestion of a laser projection does seem to be an advantage, to you.
Old January 31, 2017, 10:03 PM   #13
Snyper

Have you tried turning the chair away from the target to allow you to place an elbow on the arm rest?
Old February 1, 2017, 06:34 AM   #14
AzShooter

jroth, that's a great idea. Upper body strength will help a lot. I have a gym not too far away. I'll have to add that to my walking in the pool.
Old February 1, 2017, 09:01 PM   #15
ShootistPRS

For working with pistols there is a faily easy exercise to do to build the hands, wrists, and forearms.
Use a 1" dowel about 15 inches long with a hole drilled through it at the halfway point (7.5" from each end). put a cord through the hole and tie a knot to retain it. The cord should be long enough to hit the floor with a can of beans or anything up to 5 pounds on the end opposite the dowel. The exercise is rolling it up with your arms extended full reach and winding the cord around the dowel by turning the dowel with your hands. Wind it up first then down and back up and back down. Two up-down cycles is one rep. Do as many reps as you can until you can do 10 reps. Then you place more weight and start over. When you get to 20 pounds there is no pistol you can't handle! This same exercise has helped me strengthen my middle back and shoulders to hold my rifle off hand without support for silhouette competition.
Old February 3, 2017, 06:31 AM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

Use something you hqve around to build range of motion in your shoulders and neckline muscles. I had a bad injury that left my shooting arm nearly paralyzed. I stated with just moving the arm, and shoulder. I worked up to a can of tomato paste. Then a heavier can. It took several months to work up to that. It took 3 years to get the strength back.

In the mean time do what works.
Old February 3, 2017, 10:22 AM   #17
robhic

One tip and one comment:

1) I use 5lb dumbbells with arms stretched out (like wings). I do 30 lifts with the weights held vertically (North & South) and 30 more with weights held horizontally (back to front). Sounds same but I found it actually exercises different muscles. Grip the 'bells HARD while lifting, too. Helps chest AND grip strength at same time. Been doing this for years.

2) I don't lock the wheels as you probably won't get chance to do so in a defensive encounter, so why do it to train? Allows (flat surface) almost no difference but if floor is a little uneven it gives you some practice shooting at a different angle (moving sometimes, too! ). Regular "target practice" the wheel-lock is your choice.
Old February 16, 2017, 01:59 PM   #18
Rob228

My old neighbor used to sell a product he designed called a "Thigh-pod). It was a PVC contraption where the bottom part was about 4" diameter, cut in half so it would rest on your thigh, the top was about 2" cut in half so it would hold your wrist, and in between was some 1" PVC piping that you could adjust for height so when you were sitting it would be the correct height. I think he stopped selling them in about 2001, I'm not sure if the patent is still there and I can't find them online but its something you could look into putting together.