The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 25, 2005, 04:18 PM   #26
Marko Kloos

We have four dachsies that constitute an excellent early-warning system, so I don't take the gun into the shower. It does, however, sit on the bathroom counter.

When I am staying in hotels, the gun comes into the shower with me, no question about it. You're naked, deaf and blind while in the shower, especially in an environment where you don't solely control access to the place.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old September 25, 2005, 04:23 PM   #27
jsp98m3

PS: I live in San Diego County. Most of the armed people in this county are cops and a very high percentage of the unprovoked shootings are done by the cops. Maybe we should all draw on them here. Percentage wise, they ARE the most categorizeable group of likely killers.
Old September 25, 2005, 09:25 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
because I don't think it will happen to me.
Who does? That's got to be one of the most common, if not THE most common responses that victims have. "I never thought it could/would happen to me/us."
Quote:
6 women in the shower? What is that statistically?
Statistically it's nothing. I never implied it was. The point was that criminals will pick times to attack when we are vulnerable. People who fail to understand that are far more likely to end up as victims. And, once again. I'm not saying that everyone should have a gun in the shower--it was a catchy and applicable title to the thread.

The point was that criminals like to attack when people are vulnerable and yet, in spite of documented evidence that this is so, there are many people who denigrate those who try to limit their vulnerability. You are one of those people so it's not surprising that you're not getting it.
Old September 26, 2005, 08:20 AM   #29
23Skidoo

Quote:
The point was that criminals like to attack when people are vulnerable and yet, in spite of documented evidence that this is so, there are many people who denigrate those who try to limit their vulnerability. You are one of those people so it's not surprising that you're not getting it.
Everyone is more vulnerable some times than others. Virtually all the time it makes no difference at all. Where it does make a difference is in situations of heightened danger, at night in an unfamiliar part of town for example. But living your life in a state of siege is not an option for most people. There are reasonable precautions for people in different circumstances. There are unreasonable precautions.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:24 AM   #30
Derius_T

Jsp98m3 Wrote:

Quote:
In my case, I just feel that if you can't take a 2 minute shower (what it takes me) without having a gun instantly available, that maybe you shouldn't sleep, go swimming, make love, or get baptized without a gun strapped on either. Maybe there are some people here that do all of the above. But generally, I think that unless you are an albino living in Watts or Highland Park Michigan, you probably aren't in constant and immediate danger of getting killed. Even people in Kosovo and Baghdad generally manage to take a shower without a holster for the other "7.68". So my vote goes for either extreme paranoia of a life threatening event statistically below getting stung to death by bees or hit by lightning or the "I live my life for my gun" scenario. If concern for your life is that high, then my tongue in cheek comments about wearing a lightning rod might be applicable. Moving your residence to the Vatican might also be a good idea. All in all, this thread reminds me of the Monty Python self defense parodies. Go ahead, attack me with a banana
I know that you think you are being witty, but you take things a bit far I think. Is it paranoid to have ready access to a firearm at all times, or is it prudent in the world we live in today? What is wrong with having a firarm or some other object to protect onesself within arms reach at all times? Whats wrong with always being PREPAIRED? It is better to have and not need, than to need an not have. Even if statistics show that I have less than a 1% chance of being attacked in my own home, I refuse to stake my like on that 1%. As for lightning, nothing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it. But I can do something about being defenseless, so I do.

Quote:
PS: I live in San Diego County. Most of the armed people in this county are cops and a very high percentage of the unprovoked shootings are done by the cops. Maybe we should all draw on them here. Percentage wise, they ARE the most categorizeable group of likely killers.
That is a stupid statement period. That you would even SUGGEST drawing a gun on a police officer should be grounds for removal from this forum. Even in jest, that is not a subject I think ANYONE here at TFL will agree with.

You are entitled to your opinion, as we all are, but there are enough cops killed everyday, without some jackass making light of it.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:31 AM   #31
Trip20

+1
Old September 26, 2005, 11:32 AM   #32
Garand Illusion

This thread has inspired me to a new product -- Glock On a Rope! Perfect for that shower situation.

To the guy who leaves it on the bathroom counter -- while you're in there showering and don't know what's happening outside the door, you've just left a weapon out for the BG to shoot through the shower door with.

Quote:
In my case, I just feel that if you can't take a 2 minute shower (what it takes me) without having a gun instantly available, that maybe you shouldn't sleep, go swimming, make love, or get baptized without a gun strapped on either. Maybe there are some people here that do all of the above.
If I had a mafia hit man after me ... I just might do all of the above while armed.

If not ... the best thing to get is an early warning system so that you have time to recognize the threat and acquire a firearm instead of doing a fast draw from a plastic shoulder holster and trying to identify your target with shampoo in your eyes.

Self installed motion detectors are pretty cheap. Dogs are pretty cheap as well, and have the added benefit of being able to fetch a frisbee.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:36 AM   #33
Para Bellum

I don't think it's paranoid to actually carry 24/7.

Quote:
Gun in the shower is pretty paranoid
Either a gun is paranoid everywhere or nowhere. I used to think a gun in my office were paranoid. So I used to lock it up in a safe after entering my office.

Then a maniac stabbed a business-partner of mine in the head many times until the blade broke to pieces. My partner survived with lots of luck and lots of sugery. I don't think it's paranoid to actually carry 24/7.

The good thing about my bathroom is that I can lock it up.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:58 AM   #34
claude783

Normally, don't carry a weapon in the house. I have one in the bed room, and on occasion when I have worked the night shift, and family is out of the house, I might put the toilet seat down, lay a gun on it, then drap my towel over it...I also have the house alarmed and have the system turned on, so might have a little warning if someone were to come into my house while in the shower...sometimes when I'm out back in the hot tub, will also lay a gun down and drap a towel over it...
Old September 26, 2005, 01:17 PM   #35
Pointer

I'm in favor of every single woman having a dead, or slide-bolt on the bathroom door.

Take gun to bathroom... bolt door... take shower.

In big cities like New York, almost everybody has multiple security devices on their apartment doors...

Not paranoid...

Given the times... it's just prudent.

Last edited by Pointer; September 28, 2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old September 26, 2005, 01:53 PM   #36
leadcounsel

At first I thought this is a tough call.... but with some thought I'll have to vote for NOT paranoid. For a man or a woman, I think it's prudent. I think women are 1) more physically vulnerable to rapes and beatings and 2) more prone to aggressive stalkers. As a man I'm "less" likely to be attacked, raped, or beaten in my home or shower. However, I do carry MOST of the time in my home or at least have a gun within 10' at all times.

I have a dog that would probably bark, but might also not bark so he's unreliable.

I've considered a gun in the shower but don't currently because of moisture issues and laziness. Occassionally I'll set my gun (along with wallet, keys, phone, etc.) on the counter in the bathroom while I'm taking a shower and lock the door to the bathroom. I like the gun between the towels idea posted above because I can reach that in about 1 second and it won't get very moist if folded between two towels. I'll start doing that today.

If you think about the WORST possible place to be faced with a BG it would be in the shower. You would be completely relaxed and taken by suprise. You would be standing there, naked, on a slippery surface. In essense, you would be completely helpless -- no weapon, no phone, no protective clothing, and no place to retreat. And, your naked dead body would be a gruesome sight! Not the way I want to be killed.
Old September 26, 2005, 02:51 PM   #37
Velocity226

I'm not paranoid. I keep one of THESE in my shower.
Old September 26, 2005, 03:19 PM   #38
Bobshouse

Good Ol'Hitchcock....the bathroom scene...got us all didn't it? Love the Glock on a Rope idea...have you got a patent yet?

Just bring this up, cause in reality it could be any room, but being the bathroom, it catches everyone at their most vunerable moment...neekid, in the shower.

For all those who take their weapons into the bathroom during their shower, how do you prevent rust damage to the internals from steam? (notice, I distinctly said "weapons" and not "guns". ..)
Old September 26, 2005, 05:10 PM   #39
jcoiii

There is always a pistol in my bathroom, simply because this is the place my wife would go to in case of a home invader. I stay in the bedroom covering the entry, she moves to the bathroom, grabs the pistol, waits for the all clear.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old September 26, 2005, 05:55 PM   #40
jsp98m3

Quote:
That is a stupid statement period. That you would even SUGGEST drawing a gun on a police officer should be grounds for removal from this forum. Even in jest, that is not a subject I think ANYONE here at TFL will agree with.
Its not stupid. It's idiotic, on the verge of moronic. But if I went by statistics, I'd have to take LEO as my numero uno threat to life and limb from attack with a deadly weapon.

I'm not trying to be cute or clever. I'm trying to get you to peek out of the bunker
Old September 26, 2005, 06:10 PM   #41
wayneinFL

Quote:
If someone's that paranoid about cops, and calls me paranoid, I'll take it with a grain of salt.
Quote:
"because I don't think it will happen to me."
Who does? That's got to be one of the most common, if not THE most common responses that victims have. "I never thought it could/would happen to me/us."
Actually JKS, even though I don't think it will happen to me I still keep a gun around. I just didn't want anyone to think I was paranoid.

I have my carry piece on me at home. IMO, the safest place to have a ready gun in a house full of kids is on me. All other guns are locked up and ammo locked up in a separate cabinet. When I'm in the shower, it's dry, but close enough to be in my control.

Am I paranoid? To compare I am 99.99999% sure I'll never have a fire in my house. Yet, I have four fire extinguishers in the house... Make that three. My two year old AD'ed one in the kitchen. Still most likely three more than I'll ever need. Paranoid? Maybe deep down, I'm a wannabe fireman.
Old September 26, 2005, 06:19 PM   #42
enidpd804

JSP, that wasn't on the verge of moronic. That was a mile past moronic. Prejudice against police is bigotry. We're a sensitive bunch when it comes to that kind of thing.
Old September 26, 2005, 08:53 PM   #43
jsp98m3

You are all kidding me right? Can any of you actually analyze a sentence or paragraph and determine meaning?

I am not scared of the cops. I am not suggesting pulling a gun on police for any reason.

I am giving a gross, overstated example to make a point. An amazing group. And I don't mean that in a good way.
Old September 26, 2005, 10:16 PM   #44
us.armysniper

I think that is crazy to have a weapon in the bathroom but I also live on a military instilation so I don't worry to much, a late night of movies down stairs with me and the family the xd is with me. While i am in the shower it stays in the bedroom. If it is my destiny to die and god decides to do it while i am showering i guess there ain't much getting around it. But I am one of those people that believes when it is your time it is your time no mater what you do. And right now I have the mind set that since i survived the things I did for a year in the desert, I will probally be taken in my sleep. or of old age!

I will Never Forget 16 Aug 2004, Sadr city Iraq
Old September 26, 2005, 10:41 PM   #45
FLA2760

re gun in Shower

Hi
I do not take the gun in the shower but it is in a fanny pack in the bathroom linen closet. The bathroom door is locked and alarm is on. About 17 years ago a buddy of mine who was a cop on NYPD was in his shower after returning home from a midnight to eight shift. His car was in the shop and he was dropped off by his partner. No car in his driveway, it was 9.30 in the morning, (daytime is a prime time for residential burglary in NYC) He gets out of the shower and he hears voices downstairs. His.38 is in his bedroom closet in his holster. He creeps into the bedroom(the bathroom was adjacent) in his birthday suit and he thought he would be staring down the barrel of his own gun! He got to his gun, threw his robe on, and charged downstairs. They were already out the door and over his fence before he got all the way down. They got in through a kitchen window they forced and apparently heard him and decided to flee. Lucky for him! All they took was a boombox from the kitchen that belonged to his son! He takes his gun in a fanny pack into his bathroom ( I learned it from him) he also has a dog and an alarm now. Funny thing is that he is now retired and home most days. He said it was a feeling of helplessness that he would not want to experience ever again!
Steve
Old September 26, 2005, 10:51 PM   #46
SAXD9

Quote:
Keeping a gun within arms reach at all times is not paranoid.
That reminds me of the movie "The 13th Warrior". One of the warriors tells the Arab, "A man should never be more than one step from his sword."

When I'm home alone I'll lay my gun on the stool outside the shower with my towel on top of it. Since I live out in the country, and there are a lot of break-in's in my area, I always keep the doors locked but I don't normally carry on my person while in the house. Unless I'm asleep I'm normally no more than a few seconds away from my pistol, and if I have 30 seconds I can be armed with 2 pistols and a fully loaded 12 gauge with .00buck.
My early warning system is 4 large dogs that won't let anyone but family out of their cars without raising the alarm.
Norinco SKS/ Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ
Old September 26, 2005, 11:20 PM   #47
USP45usp

Honestly,

I'm still wondering why this thread has gotten as far as it has.

Who are we to second guess that actions of another?

You want to have a gun in the bathroom, you have a gun in the bathroom. If you don't think that it's important, then you don't.

The simple answer to this thread is just that, simple: No, it's not paranoid.

Why, because we've all made our decisions on when and how we are going to carry. Different people, different ideas.

And we really can't call any of those that choose to go the extra mile, paranoid, because that is what they have chosen for themselves, and we really can't give them heck for doing so.

Wayne
Old September 27, 2005, 12:07 AM   #48
theshootist61

I don t carry in the head but i do everywhere else,if you feel right
carring in the can so be it.I WOULD also think about getting a solid door
for that room can t hurt.

Last edited by theshootist61; September 27, 2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old September 27, 2005, 07:24 AM   #49
N.H. Yankee

I think some of the nay sayers have not been in a tactical life threatening situation. Here go's, your in the shower and the door gets kicked in, your mind says what the $#%# your confused is it the wind and my door blew open now 3-5 seconds have passed, next thought 2-4 more seconds gone where's my gun. the BEDROOM!!! one must remember when shocked most people minds go PANIC mode and clear thinking is gone. Where do you think the perp is now, GAME OVER YOUR DEAD!!!!!!!
Old September 27, 2005, 11:08 AM   #50
Lonestar.45

Until I hear of a rash of shower shootings in my neighborhood/city/state, I think I'll just have to rely on my blue heeler to alert me to anyone in the house and let the gun stay dry. If her bark wouldn't alert me, the screams of an intruder being bitten probably would. There are ways to protect yourself other than hanging your holster from the shower head.